In Praise Of The Synthetic 5K Mile OCI In 5 QRT. Sump ?

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by bbhero
I have looked over many many of the UOAs... And the GDI motors and the turbo boosted motors that are GDI are typically killing oil in short order.... High fuel levels... And oil viscosity way, way low because of that...

Versus a car like mine that is port injection and naturally aspirated.... Or say in comparison to the older Toyota motors which are port injection and NA and those UOAs do look great out past 10k miles... Those motors we're much, much easier on oil than a lot of these newer motors that are GDI or TGDI....

+1

In the case of owning GDI or TGDI engines I think it's best to just follow the manufacturers Severe service intervals. Most people would be best served following their manufacturers recommendations.

In the case of Hyundai/Kia recommending 3,750mi intervals It would seem they are spot on with most UOAs of their GDI engines toasting the oil by 5k miles or less.

Well running port injected engines are capable of much longer intervals. Our escape and Silverado have no trouble running 7.5k+ intervals.

I will do a UOA on our new to us T-GDI Hyundai in the near future to get an Idea of the OCI boundaries on it. I'm guessing by Hyundai's Severe service recommendation of 3k miles on the 1.6T-GDI using an ACEA A5 oil, it's going to destroy quality oil in 3-5k miles. Time will tell.

I do 3K miles with my H/K's.

Originally Posted by AlienBug
Originally Posted by gfh77665

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Extending an OCI from 5k to 7.5k will result in a cost savings of one -third, which is well more than you will save by airing up tires, and hardly "too small to calculate."

But I infer you are even less interested in math than you are in information.

I'm your huckleberry...your 1/3rd "savings" comes with an asterisk, right?.. since it obviously can not account for any potential lubricant related repairs down the road resulting from (potentially) chronic fuel dilution, increased particle populations, shear thinning and general degradation because of the oil was ran too long. But maybe you're doing a UOA once a year to stay on top of that stuff - good on you.. but then can we agree that your "savings" goes out the window at this point? Or maybe you're not adding to the cost of your extended drain regimen and not doing UOA's and just going on "feel"..ok, well good luck with that. I'll check back with you in 3, 5 or 7yrs from now to see how that strategy worked out for ya. I think then we might have a better feel for what the actual "savings" are/were....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Cheapskates be like "your 5k mile oil changes hurt my wallets feelings" 5k oil changes here too, glad all us smart people think alike.

...‚

I now agree with the 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic, previously I didn't. Now that we are dealing with direct injection I don't push these things past 5,000 miles...I've personally tried the extended drains with a DI engine...engine seemed fine up until it 150,000 miles, then it started using a lot of oil.

I think port injection is a bit different...I don't feel that 6,500-7,500 oil changes are all that bad, but not with direct injection. No more of that for me.

How would anyone ever prove anything? Too many different drivers, vehicles, climates, oils, filters, etc

That's what makes this forum so great.

Originally Posted by Gebo
How would anyone ever prove anything? Too many different drivers, vehicles, climates, oils, filters, etc

Right.

If one wants less "I think", there are academic forums or industry working groups for that.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Again, Wife is adamant that her VW engineers know best and she will not go below 9000 mile intervals. No matter what I say or purchase -- her car, her money, happy wife -- "supposedly" happy life. Pushed the Acura in signature to 7500 mile interval this last time. From here on out -- just 5000 mile OCIs. Subaru gets 4000 mile intervals for extremely short tripped and with the Ram - just changing it every 2 years because I put less than a thousand miles a year on the old girl.

I will tell you whatever the dealer put in my 1.4 turbo VW Jetta it wasn't as good as what the factory had i there. Guaranteed . Ill try to find out for sure thier bulk 0W20 oil next week when I'm at the dealer AGAIN to get defective rear coil spring replacement recall done.

I'll be in the shop watching. Service writer said its OK.

My Sad bones are at stake that they do this job right.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Right.

If one wants less "I think", there are academic forums or industry working groups for that.

Meh. People just can't look at oil and tell when it's bad, like they can a tire or brake pads, so they change it out to be "safe." I like the more scientific approach. I don't throw away 1/2 gallon of milk in my fridge four days before the expiry date just because it has been sitting in there for ten days.

Last edited:
OP lost me at 250K miles.

I've only kept ONE car in 25 years of ownership for greater than 100K and that was 25 years ago. Some (many) of us drive few miles per year and get bored easily and move on well before 100K miles...let alone 250K miles...and in these cases +10K extended drain intervals on a good synthetic engineered for extended OCIs are awesome!

My point is 5K, 10K, 15K or follow the MM for OCI it all depends on what you want to get out of the car but 250K as the goal is a pretty lofty goal most people won't try to make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earthbound
mr arcographite…..all I can say is if I didn't follow a 3k oci in the dead of winter with my wonderful honda 1.5t fd machine I'd be willing to bet I'll have issues down the road. now outside of the winter realm then sure 5k works....

Winter does shorten it especially sub zero and short trips.

I had the dealer dump the FF on the Jetta at 4.7K
smile.gif

Sad. that was good oil
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Right.

Meh. People just can't look at oil and tell when it's bad, like they can a tire or brake pads, so they change it out to be "safe." I like the more scientific approach. I don't throw away 1/2 gallon of milk in my fridge four days before the expiry date just because it has been sitting in there for ten days.

I might if that milks been ridden hard the last 10dys!...‚

#NotAgreatAnalogy

Originally Posted by camryrolla
The 3Kers and the 5Kers need to spend more time in the UOA section and get themselves educated on how to extend their OCI. Extended drain to a certain point makes for less wastes and less works.

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Multiply that by the nearly a billion oil changes in the States over a year and it could be seen as a massive waste of non renewable resources.
Unless you are peddling that Texas Tea
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Then its just Dandy
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by camryrolla
The 3Kers and the 5Kers need to spend more time in the UOA section and get themselves educated on how to extend their OCI. Extended drain to a certain point makes for less wastes and less works.

Multiply that by the nearly a billion oil changes in the States over a year and it could be seen as a massive waste of non renewable resources.
Unless you are peddling that Texas Tea
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Then its just Dandy
smile.gif

Right? Not like it's a finite resource....

At 280,000 miles with 10-12k miles on redline oil. Mostly highway miles but have had a few in town runs. I only follow the OLM per Honda and change around 20% down to 5%. I would never try for a 15k mile interval no matter what oil company says. I like to balance and rotate tires at 10kish and find it good time to change oil and cvt fluid also. I think driving habits, weather, and other variables affects oil tbn and longevity. Occasionally a oil analysis can help but might not tell all.

Originally Posted by AlienBug

Extending an OCI from 5k to 7.5k will result in a cost savings of one -third, which is well more than you will save by airing up tires, and hardly "too small to calculate."

But I infer you are even less interested in math than you are in information.

Lets do some "rough math" Ace.

1/3 of a $12 OC is a whole $4. (And NO, thats not some junk oil.) But to be totally safe lets say the oil cost $15. We are now up to a whopping $5. With me so far?

Now, READ THIS:

In fact, fuel efficiency is reduced by 1% for every 3.0 PSI that its tires are below recommended levels. That means that if you could always tell, at a glance, when you were low - you would really save money.

Save up to $65/yr on gas and $5/yr by increasing your tire life, by having properly inflated tires.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy under inflated tires wastes 4 million gallons of gasoline daily, or nearly 1.5 billion gallons annually.

http://rightpsi.com/saving-money/

$65 AIR SAVINGS PER YEAR + $5/yr tire life = FAR MORE than $5 "saved" for an extended OC interval.

Airing up tires to the correct levels BLOWS AWAY extending OC intervals for savings realized. Any more "brainacs" want to challenge me on this?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Right.

How do you scientifically test your milk? Do you smell it or taste it?

I have my wife smell it.
13.gif

Just razzing you. No harm intended.

Extend your drain and air your tires. Think of the savings ...

Anyway, I'm in the extended drain camp. Most of my vehicles are gone by 150k. Plus I don't think there is anyway to prove who is right. I do run Xw40 in most of my stuff so perhaps I am counter acting the dilution. Who knows?

If you take that $4 and put it in a Roth IRA, and then wait 20 years, you should have somewhere near double digit earnings. Seriously, I've been planning on changing to a 5000 mile OCI from my normal 6000. I think you've got the right idea.

Back