Impressed with 5w40 Rotella Syn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just gotta testify...

1993 Plymouth Acclaim, 2.5l.

This car beats up oil badly. All the dino's I've tried look nasty after 2000 miles (to the eyes), and are consumed at about 2 qts/ 3000 miles or some even more!

I've had the Rotella syn in now for 4000 miles (the longest i've ever gone), and it still looks and smells good. Also, consumption is way down, and engine noise is much better. This may be a great oil for the price conscious synthetic user.

I will try in in my Nissan pickup for the nest change. It's a little noisy with Mobil 1, though the oil looks to be holding up well. Maybe the Rotella will quiet it a little.

Ditto. I recently put som e in my mom's Olds 88, and it really seems to run noticeably better. Gas mileage is way up, and it hasn't burned a drop. It starts MUCH easier than the recomended 10w-30 in 0 F temps.

I have it in a few cars now with great results. 97 Volvo 850, 2 VW 2.0s (one burned oil so bad it frequently ran dry), a 98 Audi 1.8t, and an older V6 Audi, all on once-yearly changes.

Well it sounds good but I'll have to wait to see some UOA before I join the ranks of the converted. If I make a run of HD oil it is going to be the 15w-40 Delvac 1300. Of course, this would be best for temps above about 15F. Still I'm watching and noting results with the Rotella

There are about 6 reports of Rotella 5w-40 in gas engines here. None have been bad, all have been stellar. There are even 2 with side by side comparisons of other oils, and in each case, Rotella 5w-40 did significantly better.

I'm running that very oil in my 91 dakota 2.5. As it sees 2000 miles a year, it's going to be a year-round oil here in Maine.
smile.gif
Happy so far...

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
I'm running that very oil in my 91 dakota 2.5. As it sees 2000 miles a year, it's going to be a year-round oil here in Maine.
smile.gif
Happy so far...

Hey, a fellow maniac. Where in Maine are you from?

I'm going to try the 5W40 Rotella syn. in my 4 cylinder Camry when the weather warms up in a couple of months.

I'm looking for excellent high temperature protection for hot southwest summer, plus a higher TBN for somewhat extended drains (7000-8000 miles).

Although I run Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 in my commercial equipment, Rotella synthetic is also good and a very comparable oil.

Yes, I have found in all my previous vehicles, running a heavier viscosity dramatically reduces oil consumption. The motor is also quieter. I've always used Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 or Mobil 1 15W-50, except in temps -20 F or colder.

My current new vehicle, a 2000 GMC Sierra, just went off warranty, so I'm looking forward to running Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 starting in April. Although I've had good results running Mobil 1 10W-30 in summer, I'd like to improve on them.

Remember that Heavy Duty Engine Oils are MUCH better than the "Starburst" gasoline oils, and in many cases also carry the SL designation as well.

For HD diesel use, the oil must meet stringent ash, oil consumption control, and soot control specs. Especially CI-4 oils, which must have an additive package that can handle the massive soot loads from HD diesel motors with EGR.

Jerry

Does anyone know where I can buy it? I went to Wal-Mart and found tons of Rotella T and other stuff, but no Rotella Synth to be found anywhere.

I bought a couple of gallons of Rotella T Synthetic at Wally World for $12.84 a gallon. Doing an AutoRX clean on my daughter's 1996 Civic with 1.6L (non VTEC). After rinse, would the 5W-40 synthetic be suitable for the Honda in L.A. (Lower Alabama)?

My local Wal-Mart and Pep Boys both have the 15W40 Rotella, but I cannot find 5W40. Does anyone know of other chains that commonly carry it?

quote:

Originally posted by mrdctaylor:
My local Wal-Mart and Pep Boys both have the 15W40 Rotella, but I cannot find 5W40. Does anyone know of other chains that commonly carry it?

Advance Auto Parts use to carry it until about 1 week ago when there was no longer a section on the shelf for it, at least at my local store. In texas, they may not see a need to stock it cause there's no need for 5w pumping there.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
Does anyone know where I can buy it? I went to Wal-Mart and found tons of Rotella T and other stuff, but no Rotella Synth to be found anywhere.

It is stocked in some of the so. Ca Walmart stores. There weere 6 gallons on the shelf in Foothill Ranch Walmart, I bought 4. I've seen it in the Yucca Valley Walmart.

I have a 96 Caprice with the LT1(about 70K or so on the engine), mild cam and roller rockers so I do expect some noise. I was using Amsoil 5W-30(I was using 10W-30 in warmer weather) and all was as quiet I thought could be expected. I decided to try the Rotella synthetic 5w-40 figuring I could save a buck while still getting a good oil and just use this stuff all year. I thought that if anything the 40 would keep it as quiet as it was and maybe even quiet it down a tad more. Well I have 150miles on it sofar and it is actually louder
confused.gif
, any input on wether this will go away, or did I just make a poor choice in using this oil in this application?

The Walmart here stocks Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic but when they run out it takes them about a month or so to get more in. I bought 2 gallons a few weeks ago and I'm running it in my son's V6 Pathfinder. So far so good but the cold weather starts are noisier than the Pennzoil 5W-30/#132 mix we did have in the truck, similar to the way it sounded with M1 10W-30...

quote:

Originally posted by rainman49:
Doing an AutoRX clean on my daughter's 1996 Civic with 1.6L (non VTEC). After rinse, would the 5W-40 synthetic be suitable for the Honda in L.A. (Lower Alabama)?

As I know 5W-40 is still one of preferred grades used by Honda in Europe. Naturally ACEA A3/B3 0W-30 and 0W-40 are also used, but mostly in newest models.

Interesting that last December when visiting Honda Moers (near Dusseldorf) for maintenance service I asked shop manager what he uses in his Honda. - 10W-40 (semi-synthetic). - How about 0W-40 ? - OK, but I don't see its advantage over 5W-40 and the latter would be the better choice for your Prelude 2.2 VTEC.

Update, engine is now quieter than it has been since the roller rocker install, I think I am going to stick with this stuff.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back