Importance of OEM parts - collision repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife got hit by a driver last week, naturally in the car that isn't even a year old yet. On the surface, it looks like just the rear bumper will require attention. The other guy admitted fault, and his insurance is ready to move forward.

I called to ask a couple questions today, and it sounds like it is going to be a real hassle to get an OEM replacement from them. I don't have experience with this, so I'm wondering if I really want to go to war over an OEM bumper, or if I should just let a shop with a good reputation take care of it anyway they want to.

My next thought was to call the body shop and see what they think they would use. It is possible they may have to use OEM, but I'm guessing there is an aftermarket option if they want to use it. If I don't like the answer, maybe I look at using my own insurance and see if they will cover OEM and then go collect it from the other insurance. They'll just hold my deductible hostage. Thanks for the opinions.

I'd call around to some of the area dealership body shops. They're most likely going to use oem body parts. Even if their used oem parts I'd be ok with it. The Toyota body shop one of my family members went to had a life time guarantee on their work as long as they owned the car. The shop is a joint venture between the dealer and a body shop network. Pretty state of the art. I could eat off the shop floor it was so clean when I checked in on the progress midway through. Plus you can track it online. Both times the car was hit with around 4k damage each time the car was done in a week or two exactly when they said it would be done. Linky:

http://www.metrotoyota.com/collision.htm

The shop wasn't on Allstate's list of approved shops. Either because it was a newer place or they don't do it the cheap way. The adjuster did say they do very good work.

I believe by law you must be given OEM parts if you request them. State Farm got sued big time for refusing to provide OEM parts when requested.

Take it to the dealer body shop. You will nearly certainly get OEM parts.

From my experience with Progressive when I took a car to their service center, I did get OEM parts but the panel gaps and general fit was horrible. I had to have their repair corrected at the dealership's body shop, which Progressive paid for. This added an additional two days to our down time.

Last edited:
Depending on the vehicle there may not be aftermarket parts available. BUT the insurance company will try to get the shop to install used parts. I had to go through this struggle with the Equinox after pegging a deer on the interstate last May.

If it were my car, I would have it repaired at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. The other guy hit you, so they really have no say in the matter with regards to where it is repaired.

I can use other shops, but have to arrange to have their adjustor inspect it first. The insurer in question is State Farm actually.

So maybe the play is to go to the dealer. Honestly, I never get a warm and fuzzy from the dealer I bought from, but maybe I am just too much of a pessimist worrying about my new-ish car.

2012 Subaru Outback. If the car was 5 years old, I might not care as much, but I thought with it being not even 1 year old I'd have an easier time getting OEM parts with any insurer.

I got in a big hassle with State Farm when my wife wrecked her car. They actually used "Used" parts. They claimed they had to only replace the parts and did not have to or were required to use new parts. I went through a big hassle with them and they had to repaint the car twice, they sent out a investingator. They ended up giving me a Lifetime warranty on all the parts plus labor. I wasnt happy. It got so bad, they were actually just going to total the car. It was terrible. It was a Lincoln and I took it to a Lincoln/Ford dealer which was the worst idea ever. Pick a good body shop. The dealerships are operating on profit, not customer satifaction.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
So maybe the play is to go to the dealer. Honestly, I never get a warm and fuzzy from the dealer I bought from, but maybe I am just too much of a pessimist worrying about my new-ish car.

If you don't like your dealer, then go to a different dealer, preferably high end sports or luxury cars, and ask them what collision shop they would use if it was their car that was damaged. They will tell you the best car repair place in town. If you ask several dealers who they use, and they start naming the same place, then you know it's a real good place.

BC.

I would rather have used OEM parts painted up and fitted than cheap new pattern parts.

If it was my car that was hit I would not allow pattern parts as it will likely affect residuals as there is likely to be panel gap and quality issues with the cheaper parts.

I had some key drive into the back of my 05 Mondeo and it was done via InsurNce, the OEM Ford bumper fitted like a glove.

I then had a crack in my front bumper caused when parked up and thought I would save a few quid by buying a pattern part and painting it myself.

The paint was a good match and you couldn't tell it was changed till you looked closely and the lines were off round the headlights and were it meets the front wings, also the front grille never quite fitted as snugly as before.

This was an oldish car with high miles so no biggie.

But if it was a newish car I would have had to remove it and fit and paint an OEM part to retain residuals.

Hopefully your wife is OK.

A quick Google search of "Virginia Collision Repair Laws" seems to show that:
-you have the right to choose your repair facility
-you MAY have a right to a rental vehicle
-you have a right to OEM parts (especially if you are the claimant) and have your car returned to to pre-accident condition. (See the FAQ in my second link)

http://brucessuperbody.com/your-rights-va-laws/
http://www.harrisonbodyworks.com/faq.html

It's your new car and you have to live with it. Under your circumstances I would use the appropriate level of assertiveness to get it done to your complete satisfaction. The insurance company will want to get it done for the least amount of money.

Regarding repairs facilities, I don't think blanket statements apply. I have had shoddy work done at independent shops and I thought the Dodge Dealer body shop did superb paint and body work on my Caravans (two different times).

It will take some effort to find the better shops in your area.....ask around and inspect the shops for state of the art equipment and competent employees.

Sorry for your troubles and best of luck to you. A good shop will make your car like new.

My concern would be if the vehicle is under warranty, and aftermarket parts are used, that could be a problem. If a car is repaired using aftermarket parts that would otherwise be covered under warranty for a specific term, a manufacturer will not honor their replacement under warranty if they fail later on.
For instance, a headlight is replaced with an aftermarket assembly during a collision repair. The headlamp experiences water intrusion due to poor sealing. You take it to the dealer, they pull the assembly and inspect it. They see that it has an aftermarket part name and number. Then they come to you and tell you that it will not be covered because if the part got called back, the manufacturer will debit back the claim, and the dealer gets stuck buying a headlight. On the other hand, if it were an OEM assembly, no problem to replace it under warranty.

salv, that's a good point. But, I imagine each state and it's insurance companies policies vary.

In our no=fault state, my son's Ranger insurance allowed aftermarket parts unless he wanted to pay a higher premium. But, the insurance company lifetime warranties the aftermarket parts. When his replacement plastic chromed front grill started peeling one year after a deer collision repair, guess what, the insurance company had to pay for another replacement.

It just depends from state to state. It pays to educate oneself about these matters.

Thanks for the info on the VA laws. I've been scouring Subaru forums for repair facility recommendations. A few guys have messed up their BRZs pretty bad already...

The shop I was looking at from the list with a lot of good Yelp feedback was also mentioned in the threads I read. Someone said it is where the local Ferrari dealer takes their business. So I'll probably call there tomorrow and throw them the OEM question and see what they say.

Looking at the local Subaru dealer's sites, no one mentions a body shop. I'm wondering if they all outsource, or just don't advertise that business.

Last edited:
Once I had door replaced on 03 Altima in 2010, it was 03 so "used" door from red Altima was used, mine was silver. First they didn't hang it right, so they had to alight it again, and then afterwards I had squicks over bumps. Took door panel apart, it was missing some plastic pins and clips, went and bought some, installed. It was much better but still it was sqicking sometimes. Paint job was so so, you could tell in sun light that it was repainted and you could see original red paint if you take off door panel. And all of that was done at local Nissan dealer and took like 3 weeks. Whole side was scratched from rim to rim, including rims, dents in back door and dent+ cut in the front door +stuck window. It takes one old grandma that doesn't know that you need to turn in your lane, plus she had red light.

Last edited:
I went through this recently with my Cruze after nailing a deer. I believe I ended up with a used OEM hood and a new OEM headlight, plus removing a dent in a fender. Either way, the fit/finish is excellent, and I cannot tell where they blended the paint on the fenders or the bumper cover. I took it to a Buick dealer's body shop, and the place was spotless. The car's better than when it was before hitting the deer, so I got lucky.

A couple months ago an unlicensed driver caused a crash in the snow between his Chevy Corsica and my 3 series. My insurance company ended up totaling it and I decided to take the insurance company money and have it fixed anyway (the vehicle was in our family since new and in near perfect mechanical shape). I saw the car thru the whole repair process as I worked with the body shop for a lot of work stuff. The aftermarket parts didn't come close to the OEM. Every aftermarket part ended up being sent back and the OEM ordered to replace it. The aftermarket hood was very flimsy. In other cases I have seen aftermarket stuff be the same quality as OEM. I think it's really just the luck of the draw sometimes. The body work was done at a local shop that specializes in European vehicles (particularly BMWs). They do all the work that the 1 man body shop at the local BMW/Jag/Land Rover/Mini dealer can't take on.

P.S they were all new parts

I think most states by law require that the insured customer can insist on new OEM parts. If there are any states that do not give that right please feel free to let me know.

I think most states by law require that the insured customer can insist on new OEM parts. If there are any states that do not give that right please feel free to let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back