Impact Socket ???s

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Two quick questions about impace sockets/accessories:

-Is there such a thing as a U-joint for an impact 1/2" drive? I saw that snapon has a 3/8" version, but I cant find the 1/2 on their site. Any leads to another US-made brand or item? Does it exist?

-For a 3/8" drive socket, for an impact gun, what is the maximum torque that you can safely put on it? Assuming that small fasteners will snap the head off real easy, let's limit this to stuff >15mm. Can you put 200 ft-lb? 300 ft-lb on a 3/8" drive setup without it breaking or being a safety issue?

Thanks,

JMH

1. I have a 1/2 inch drive u-joint from Pep Boys but it is made in Taiwan. I only use it when nothing else will reach, and it hasn't failed.

2. I don't know.

Merc's got the right tool there, there's also a Matco version I like personally. Have one of both though,,that way when one's broke I have something to use while waiting on replacement.

Allways keep in mind when using swivels,extensions, or any combination therof, when nut/bolt breaks loose (or just plain breaks), you can't duck fast enough!!!!!!

Bob

lol, thanks! I was getting a site error last night when trying to go to that section. Thanks for pointing the item out!

JMH

I have the Snapon impact universals in 3/8 and 1/2 inch . They have heald up fine in a work enviroment . Also snapon has a wobbly joint though it is not impact has heald up .the Mac wobbly joint I have in the same use is not quite as sturdy. Wear safty glasses.

I've used 3/8 impact sockets in a pinch before at 450 (1/2 inch to 3/8 adapter in line too), but I wouldn't recommend it. I really don't like using the swivels with an impact because 70% of the time you end up making a metal projectile.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I really don't like using the swivels with an impact because 70% of the time you end up making a metal projectile.

The impact universal I have linked above has a pin lock; if it flies off, the socket is going with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back