I'm approaching the end of a big interior remodel

Y'all, it's been about 9 months since I started this project, although I did take a 3 or 4 month break midway through to regain my own sanity.

I've done virtually all of it with the exception of the countertops. I've done all the demo, dumpster loading, electrical, plumbing, nat gas piping, paint, trim work, fireplace, all cabinet work including countertop underlayment, you name it. I even replaced all the interior doors with pre-hung solid core ones (a surprising PITA). I need to design and build the fireplace surround and I need to get the surround countertops installed. Other than a few minor details and a faux beam in the great room ceiling that should just about do it.

I have to tell you, being a month shy of 70 there are times I can barely get my pants and socks off after a day of doing this. Ugh.

Scott

The original kitchen and fireplace area. Things were messier than normal because some work had already started.

K Before 1.jpeg
K Before 2.jpeg
K Before 5.jpeg
K Before 6.jpeg
K Before 9.jpeg

Very cool that you took this on! Any proper remodel is a lot of work. My house is getting there, and I'm not doing it. I'd rather move and let the next guy deal with it.

Congrats and great work!

I did something similar almost 2 years ago at this point. I did everything except countertops and drywall (I have a guy that does great work and is so inexpensive, its not worth my effort!)
Documented some of it in a Google album, here:

Cabinet pulls installed, all perfectly aligned. I made plywood templates that fit the face of the drawers and edges of the cabinet doors. I scribed where to drill with an awl and used a drill guide to get perpendicular holes. I was stressing about this a bit at first but the plywood templates I made worked PERFECTLY.

Backsplash is next. Notice the Wolf range and the Zephyr range hood. My experience with range hoods has never been favorable, but let me tell you that Zephyr is one fine piece of engineering! And the Wolf range is like having a Ferrari parked in the kitchen.

I need to put in the cabinet base trim. I lacquered it and it's ready, I just need to do it. And of course the backsplash. We've chosen the tile, a cream colored 3"x10" subway that we'll have installed horizontally. You can see a sample of it in the drawer picture. Hopefully that'll be done in a month or so. I'm paying someone to do it.

IMG_7499.jpeg
IMG_7498.jpeg
IMG_7497.jpeg

Last edited:
Cabinet pulls installed, all perfectly aligned. I made plywood templates that fit the face of the drawers and edges of the cabinet doors. I scribed where to drill with an awl and used a drill guide to get perpendicular holes. I was stressing about this a bit at first but the plywood templates I made worked PERFECTLY.

Backsplash is next. Notice the Wolf range and the Zephyr range hood. My experience with range hoods has never been favorable, but let me tell you that Zephyr is one fine piece of engineering! And the Wolf range is like having a Ferrari parked in the kitchen.

I need to put in the cabinet base trim. I lacquered it and it's ready, I just need to do it.

View attachment 139969View attachment 139970View attachment 139971
Good to see wood ✅

Good to see wood ✅
Yes! I agree. With everything being painted white with black counter tops we wanted something different. The cabinets are cherry wood.

The counter tops were initially a source of Holy C***! I couldn't believe it when I walked out there and saw them the next morning. What were we thinking!!?? I half considered roto hammering them out the very next day - and that is no joke!!!

But as the project moved along and other pieces installed, like floors, pulls, and paint, the counter tops began to work. For us at least. We wanted something different and we got it. So far everyone whose seen it has loved it and complimented Sue and I on our courage to try something different.

The cherry cabinets are stunning. Like cherry wood does it darkens with age and has already darkened a shade or two since we put them in. They're becoming more spectacular with each passing day!

Scott

(y)(y) Been there done that too, all of it. Great looking work. My boss says no way to glass doors, you have to keep everything neat in the cabinets, no way. After all you've done, installing a little bit of subway tile backsplash is simple.

Funny, I would have thought in Cali you'd HAVE to have a plumber do the gas pipe and an electrician do the wiring with permits etc.

Good job old boy, I'm younger and don't think I have that in me again.

Back