Have You Used One Oil for the Life of a Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No although as a vehicle gets older the more likely it gets only Supertech.

Never. Shell, Total, Store brand xW40 depending on what's cheap. I just keep the thinner stuff for the (mild) winters. I even mix em all up when i have enough leftovers for an oil change. Both engines are healthy and don't burn more than 0.5L over a 6K OCI, even the 300K Mercedes which had a diet of cheap 15W40 at 6 to 10K OCI.

When i bought my car back in 2009 (used) i used specific Valvoline oil in it because i got discount on that oil through my old workplace. After i quit that job i still went out to get same oil but now paying full price elsewhere, and i did that for many years. In recent years i tried Royal Purple and Castrol Edge before i started to get HDEO from my new workplace. Can`t see why bother using same oil and brand for the whole life when equivalent specced oil can be found for cheaper price.

Mobil 1 for the last 15yrs when my 99 GS400 was purchased from the original owner. Various oil filters though.

Other cars I'd but whatever was on sale at the time.

You bring up a great point, that these manufacturers change their formulas quite frequently...sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. Valvoline comes to mind - it wasn’t that long ago that they were one of the few major brands that didn’t adhere to the moly formula, instead relying on sodium. They weren’t the only ones, but they were the biggest name I could think of...Super Tech was doing it as well. House brand NAPA and Carquest...a few others.

They‘ve all since changed and now run similar additives as the rest of them with moly hovering around 70 and sodium dropping down into the negligible amounts.

TGMO had a big change in their moly count too at one point, and probably at several points - where they once where the moly kings of automotive land, they since have dropped those counts down (although depending on who you believe it’s because they now use a “higher quality” tri-nuclear or something, moly). And let’s not forget that direct injection has changed the game for some oils as well, as they fight to get those NOACK numbers down on thinner oils.

But years ago I stuck with 3,000 mile intervals on Super tech conventional - but this was 20 years ago when conventional oil and shorter intervals were the norm. And most likely Super Tech changed multiple times while I used it and didn’t notice (or care).
The old school Max Life (SL or SM) had somewhere in the 300+ppm moly. Then they completely removed it. There was a huge uproar here about that.

My 2014 Mustang GT is the only vehicle that I've owned that I've run the same brand of oil in it the entire time I've owned it. I still use Motorcraft 5W-20 blend in it. Car has right at 34,000 miles on it in the eight years I've owned it. Bought it new.

My fiancé ran Motorcraft 10W-30 Diesel oil in her 2003 Ford F350 6.0 from new until she sold it in 2017 with about 96,000 miles on it. Never any engine issues or leaks. Had to have the EGR valve cooler hose replaced but that was it.

She runs 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in her 2017 F150 with the 5.0 since new and truck has 34,000 miles on it.

She runs 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in her 2007 Mustang GT that she bought used in 2010 with 6,900 miles on it. Car has around 26,000 miles on it now.

The old school Max Life (SL or SM) had somewhere in the 300+ppm moly. Then they completely removed it. There was a huge uproar here about that.
Wow, I don’t remember that! Must have been a while ago. And I was always confused as to why they went heavy sodium/low moly for so long, especially when most weren’t. I assumed it was cost.

So far my current truck has only seen Motorcraft SynBlend 5w-20. Uses no oil and leaks no oil.

Very close to 100k on 17 Subaru Outback. Only oil she has seen is Mobil 1 5-30 EP for 8-10k runs. UOA have been stellar, as they should be.

I'm a believer in what you do the first 100k affects the remaining 150k (250k is my goal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back