I'm approaching the end of a big interior remodel

(y)(y) Been there done that too, all of it. Great looking work. My boss says no way to glass doors, you have to keep everything neat in the cabinets, no way. After all you've done, installing a little bit of subway tile backsplash is simple.

Funny, I would have thought in Cali you'd HAVE to have a plumber do the gas pipe and an electrician do the wiring with permits etc.

Good job old boy, I'm younger and don't think I have that in me again.
Glad you can relate, Jeff.

We wouldn't have even done this project had I not be able to do it myself. Same with cars. My fleet of cars would have been different over the decades had I not been able to work on them myself. And it keeps me busy. I don't do well when idling. I've been known to get bored on vacations.

By far my most extensive project was jacking up and leveling the entire pier post support structure (52 posts int total) on our Los Gatos home. It had a damp crawl space that required sump pumps to keep from flooding. Previous ownership neglected this issue and the crawl space flooded several times over the years. Couple that with a completely unsuitable subfloor design (it was code legal for 4 or 5 years in the early '60s - until building code realized it was a poor design and banned it). It took me two years, jacking up to level, installing new posts and putting in 2x6" glued and screwed sister joists. Came out great but doing that while under your house in a crawl space....you get used to it....but good all over lighting is required just to make it feel more hospitable under there.

Scott

Last edited:
Kitchens are the worst to do since it interrupts so much of the daily routine, especially for the wife. Doing dishes in the laundry room sink got real old for us even though it only lasted 2 weeks or so. I was tired after the gut and I'm in my 30s!

Counters look great...quartzite is the way to go.

Kitchens are the worst to do since it interrupts so much of the daily routine, especially for the wife. Doing dishes in the laundry room sink got real old for us even though it only lasted 2 weeks or so. I was tired after the gut and I'm in my 30s!

hehe my wife was doing dishes with our hoses outside for a while, during our kitchen remodel. We didnt have a subfloor for a week or two, so the kitchen was 100% off limits.

I setup a laundry sink once we had a subfloor again, so at least she didnt need to be outside :)

cooked outside on the grill for 2 months, though...the night she was greeted by a family of possums was the beginning of the end of that lol

This^^^^

Scott

Good to see wood ✅
Me too! I visit several Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Facebook pages and the current trend is to paint over nice wood cabinets.

I know a few people that do these type of projects repeatedly their entire lifetime. I've done 2 kitchen remodels in my lifetime. I'm not sure if I have another one in me.

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Me too! I visit several Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Facebook pages and the current trend is to paint over nice wood cabinets.

I know a few people that do these type of projects repeatedly their entire lifetime. I've done 2 kitchen remodels in my lifetime. I'm not sure if I have another one in me.

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing.

A lot of people try to make their kitchen distinctive. There are so many oak cabinets out there. Painting is one way to clean up and brighten the kitchen.

I like wood and especially getting away from the crowds. Cherry looks great in this example. I knew someone years ago that had birch kitchen cabinets. They looked great.

Lighting is key as well.

A lot of people try to make their kitchen distinctive. There are so many oak cabinets out there. Painting is one way to clean up and brighten the kitchen.

I like wood and especially getting away from the crowds. Cherry looks great in this example. I knew someone years ago that had birch kitchen cabinets. They looked great.

Lighting is key as well.
That's a nice, durable, hardwood. We considered birch before going with cherry.

Scott

That cherry gives your kitchen a nice elegant look that goes very well with the counters.
Thanks. Yes, I agree. We wanted lighter floors which made birch a no go.

The counters...we wanted something different and we got it, but like I said in my previous post, I just came surprisingly close to roto hammering them out the next morning after they were installed. But with all the finishing bits and bobs going in, they're looking good. And once the backsplash and under cabinet lighting is in I think we'll be 100% happy with our choice.

I'm just glad the project is nearing completion. Not only am I worn out, I'm tired of working on it. And it's put a sizable dent in our post income tax cash reserves.

Scott

Back