I'm again tinkering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of fabricating several small original parts. I am using epoxy resin, polystyrene, styrene solvent (glue), talcum powder, Bondo, and Scotch tape. The parts' shapes are fairly complex and high precision is essential for a good fit. Once the parts are (near) perfect, I will paint them to seal the filler. Then I will make a silicone mold of each part and cast a dyed black urethane copy of each original. The parts will then be installed in... can you guess? For what device are these parts and what purpose do they serve? The dime is for scale.

Rough parts:

dinkum_2.jpg

dinkum.jpg

An interposer for something. I don't want to give it away so quickly.

You'll sneak in an archaeology dig at night and plant evidence, then when some hot girl discovers said mammoth teeth you can invite her over because you have another set just like 'em.

Those parts are a modification, or rather a passively functional addition that will improve the device into which the parts will be installed. The parts' purpose is solely of mechanical nature. Once installed, these parts will not be visible when examining the device from the outside.

Painted thinguses:
thinguses.jpg

The paint serves only one purpose: it prevents the parts from being damaged when they are being removed from the cured RTV (mold making silicone).

Here are the painted and buffed parts, glued to base plates. Now simple open molds can be made. There are only slightly undercut areas that pose no real problems when casting and unmolding.

thinguses3.jpg

I'm going with some sort of chronometer. Watch sized but maybe a little watch face mantle clock doohickie.

It has nothing to do with a funnel or a clock. It has to do with an optical instrument.

Test pieces cast in an inexpensive urethane. The final pieces will be cast in a near inert urethane that doesn't gas out after the curing process. That urethane will be dyed black.

dinguses_cast.jpg

Two of the parts belong together. I couldn't line them up perfectly while holding them in one hand and shooting them with the other.
wink.gif

dingus_cast_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back