Interesting read on coolants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
For the layman: I just wish I knew if 2-eha was causing my water pump gasket to leak prematurely?
crazy.gif
confused.gif

27.gif

I'm ignorant though. It is a 1992 vehicle that took 'conventional green' back then.

I would assume the seal was rubber not plastic. 2-EHA effects plastic and not rubber.

2-eha will interact and degrade both synthetic rubbers and hard plastics. Almost all seals produced in the last 50 years that are "rubber" are of a synthetic and not natural origin.

Originally Posted By: Chris11
Last time I checked AC Delco was the GM supplier of Dex.

AC Delco only repackages a product made by an original coolant formulator manufacturer. AC Delco is not a chemical company but rather a parts supplier and coolant to them is just another part.

Originally Posted By: Donald
For the layman: I just wish I knew if 2-eha was causing my water pump gasket to leak prematurely?
crazy.gif
confused.gif

27.gif

I'm ignorant though. It is a 1992 vehicle that took 'conventional green' back then.

I would assume the seal was rubber not plastic. 2-EHA effects plastic and not rubber.

Gotcha.

What was the 'original green' coolant back then like and what is the similar equivalent offerings today? Peak Global? OR like the Beck Arnley "Green Conventional"?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2797/greenconcentrate.png

I'd like to convert to extended-life HG Type-II blue...but...

If you follow my coolant change procedure to the letter I outline in the first post by Falcon, you can actually change to any coolant you choose.

^I am hesitant to use a cooling system flush additive on a 20 year old system, regardless of how 'gentle' it may be. I can't afford even the slightest risk on my budget.

I'd rather just rinse with distilled water and add back concentrate green and use some disposable test strips for measuring the ratio, call it a day and change over to HG Type-II later at the next timing belt service.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Actually Dexcool being low in abrasives is consider easier on waterpump seals than oldr coolants.

In our fleet trucks the change over to Dex was a huge boon to our maintenance expenses. Water pump life nearly doubled over the next few years.

I don't think the major Japanese auto manufacturers ever used "old green" silicated coolants based on my reading of the ASTM paper "Coolant Development in Asia". (See http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI100368.htm. Unfortunately, the online copy of the paper is behind a pay wall.) The dominant coolant company in Japan is CCI which developed POAT (Phosphated Organic Acid Technology) coolants focused on aluminum engines. First generation POAT coolants were used in many Japanese vehicles in the early 90's, but I don't know for certain if first generation POAT coolant was used in the 1992 Honda Civic. Second generation, longer life POAT coolants were introduced about 2004 and were designed to be compatible with first generation POAT coolants. Neither contains any silicates or 2-EHA.

If I owned a 1992 Civic, I would use the least expensive POAT (first or second generation) that I could find. Second generation POAT coolants like Zerex Asian Formula and Ford Specialty Green (reportedly the same as Mazda FL22 coolant produced by CCI) come to mind. CCI elected not to sell aftermarket POAT coolants in the US for a long time. Even now the company only does it covertly under the auspices of the aftermarket coolant business that they bought from Dow Chemical in 1998. (See http://cci-il.com/en/about/default.aspx.)

I am reasonably certain that CCI manufactures both Zerex Asian formula and Ford Specialty Green as well as all the factory coolants for the major Japanese automakers.

^I am hesitant to use a cooling system flush additive on a 20 year old system, regardless of how 'gentle' it may be. I can't afford even the slightest risk on my budget.

I'd rather just rinse with distilled water and add back concentrate green and use some disposable test strips for measuring the ratio, call it a day and change over to HG Type-II later at the next timing belt service.

I run citric acid flushes on my 30 YO MB cars without any fear or concern.

Granted, we didnt have that great of luck with longevity if plastic/rubber parts on our integra (most seemed to crack the plastic top), so your fear is likely valid.

Id just do a few drain and refills and call it a day.

^Thanks. I plan on doing some rinses with distilled water anyway and switch to the 'green concentrate' offered by B/A since I can get the ratio back properly without wasting coolant itself.

Ok, where are we leaving the discussion of Cat ELC. IMO, based on some of the links I posted, I believe it's a nitrited version of Dex-cool and an excellent coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back