ILSAC GF6 Chain Wear Test

This topic actually concerns me more than the often argued engine wear thick v thin.

I wonder if a W30 would’ve been better for the chains? Back before W20 became chic,I never once heard of chain probs.

How far back do you want to go? The timing chains of yesteryear before belts became the norm were smaller but wide. Today they are elongated and narrow.

How far back do you want to go? The timing chains of yesteryear before belts became the norm were smaller but wide. Today they are elongated and narrow.
Earliest I remember is the early 80s when I started driving. I never heard any talk of timing chain failure until fairly recently on here. I always remember hearing people say that timing belts would break if not changed,and that chains lasted forever.

Earliest I remember is the early 80s when I started driving. I never heard any talk of timing chain failure until fairly recently on here. I always remember hearing people say that timing belts would break if not changed,and that chains lasted forever.

That train of thought was the norm. Then again those old motors really didn’t have the horsepower that today’s motors do. Timing belts usually got changed every 60k. Some went a bit longer.

Now we are back to chains but they are these glorified bicycle chains installed in smaller 4 and 6 cylinder motors with a lot more power, especially with turbos. I don’t think we can make a straight across comparison.

I'd include cam chain wear as "engine wear".

Yes, me too. But i'm referring to Main and Journal Bearings plus Piston Walls more often cited here. But you're right, like this thread proves, chain wear has been brought up at times.

Ah yes, they referenced a Ford EcoTech engine.

The article affirms that the sole benefit of low viscosity oil is improved fuel economy. It also shows that in order to compensate for the deficiencies in those oils sophisticated additive chemistry is required. Mechanical protection is no longer based upon an inherent property of the base stock.

240k of 3k mile conventional 5w20 oil changes on my mom's 2010 Taurus 3.5, resulted in extremely worn out chains. She bought it new. Sold it to a mechanic I know when the water pump failed. He replaced all the chains and guides etc. It was close to the end. Makes me wonder what better oil at longer intervals would have done.
I'd say at 240K the chains did their job.

I'd say at 240K the chains did their job.
To me 240k isn't that great. It was almost all highway driving. Especially when it's not a reasonably priced repair like doing timing chain and gears on my Oldsmobile V8 or even my gm 4.8. The 4.8 is at 200k and 8700 hours and I'm hoping to never have to do the timing chain.

Engines quite often go over 300k miles these day.

Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the chains, the wear seems to be mainly with the tensioners and guides. Once the motor is taken apart to replace those parts the chain usually gets replaced as well. Some motors have long chains with all kinds of turns and multiple guides and such.

The new SP oils are definitely a step in the right direction.

It's also important to use a certified oil because it has ACTUALLY been tested in engines, and approved. Once you mess with an already approved additive package, you're back to zero.

Back