If you REALLY want to protect your engines..

Oh, 10 years is the longest we can drive a car in my country (as per government rules, too little road space, too many vehicles) and the car needs to be scrapped after that. So they decided to cut it up to have a look :)
I both like and dislike the 10 year rule. On the one hand, keeping the vehicle fleet younger makes for cleaner air and forces new safety technologies into the fleet but... being forced to scrap a machine worth thousands would really piss me off. Like pitchforks and torches piss me off. I applaud you being able to sacrifice your finances for the greater good w/out losing your mind.

On a slightly related subject... I do wish for federal vehicle inspections annually. I'm tired of getting behind folks that think cutting their catalytic converter off is a good way to make more power. Being forced to fix or replace your vehicle I am ok with. Because it is a choice of fixing your heap or dumping it and getting something new.

Really tired of the blue smokers running around too. There are too many people too close together now to get away with running a falling apart jury-rigged car or truck that stinks up the place.

Good Job with the Corolla. You're not wrong in that most vehicles will survive just fine by following the guidelines in the OM. But there are always use cases that require some more love. If you drove around on the autobahn all day, well you'd need something thicker to handle the heat.

Last edited:
I want a reliable engine, not to "protect" it from normal operation condition or need special care. I will usually just pick the vehicles with good reliability reputation and call it a day.

I didn't take the OP's story about the Corolla to mean they took extra good care of a long-lasting car, knowing it will be scrapped in perfect condition. I saw the OP's story to demonstrate one way to take excellent care of an engine... as simple and redundant as this may seem on BITOG, the point (and example) is still valid. However I don't think I would take such good care of a Corolla if I know it will be scrapped after 10 years. It would probably run fine even if the owner went beyond the oil change interval, on every interval.

I both like and dislike the 10 year rule. On the one hand, keeping the vehicle fleet younger makes for cleaner air and forces new safety technologies into the fleet but... being forced to scrap a machine worth thousands would really piss me off. Like pitchforks and torches piss me off.
Yeah, that wouldn't fly with me either. I'd be made to scrap out 10 year old vehicles with 20K to 30K miles on them, still like new. I wouldn't live anywhere that mandated that crazy law.

Changing it regularly and keeping to manufacturer recommendation is the best way to go.

Real life experience here.

Generally, ODI for fully synthetic engine oils is 10,000km.

A colleague used a Fully Syn oil for his Toyota Corolla, basic 5W30 SN spec as recommended by manufacturer, not using any special, super expensive, PAO, GTL, esters-based, product blah blah.

Drove over 300,000kms on that vehicle at the end of 10 years, long drives, city start stop drive, gun the engines, rough driving, gave it his worst, you name it he's done it.

Changed the engine oil every 8,000km instead of 10,000km, absolutely no engine problems at all. When they cut the engine open at the end of 10 years the engine looked almost brand new, shiny and no black marks at all on the inside.

'Nuff said.
What if I told you water is wet water boy?

I agree with the reduction of km compared to what’s suggested by the manufacturer. Nothing beats using a name brand oil and changing it regularly with a quality oil filter. But like it’s also said it’s not all black and white.

Singapore is a clean place, not surprised by certain anal like rules they enforce due to OCD or just the general knack of being control freaks. Either way I wouldn’t mind living there if it wasn’t for the insane process of buying a car, the foolish and insane mark ups on products and of course the insane prices for actually buying a proper detached house. I’m not a fan of living in government buildings or a condo. I need my space to stretch my legs, chase my nephews, nieces and dogs within my own private confines. Oh the nasty summer weather doesn’t help either.

Last edited:
Back