If you REALLY want to protect your engines..

"The high quality of our vehicles allows us to double the service interval in Europe to 24 months. This puts us among a handful of high-volume car manufacturers who call their customers for service less frequently.
"high quality" it can mean anything.. i´ve seen few years old 1,2 / 1,5 tsi which smoked as 2stroke bike..
bmw, renault uses also 2y. maybe more examples exists.
generally, cars sold in eu, use also different oils (lowsaps, thinner sae). for example same car sold outside europe, uses fullsaps and xw40..

Yo, waterboy11, Thanks for the inspiring "My car" post.
Had you wanted, could you have removed the engine to make, say, a large generator or agricultural water pump?

Lots of resistance to your pleasing anecdote. Replicable, scientific data is expensive to generate. Ergo, I believe "good maintenance" involves skewing towards more frequent oil changes not fewer. One BIG reason against long OCIs is that the repeated oil analysis needed to monitor "lifetime" oil is expensive. I know I'll never run a vehicle under perfect conditions to achieve multiples of 10's of thousands of miles.
Better to throw the dirt out with the bath water.

Which car manufacturers have that as their recommended oil change interval?

Many European makes, e.g. VW/Audi, BMW, Daimler recommend up to two years and upt to 30.000 km. Before DPF most VW diesels even had up to 50.000 km (with low-HTHS VW 506 01 oil). Of course this comes along with the obligatory oil life meter and depending on driving style and conditions. Longer distance travels and somewhat sensible driving are required to reach 30.000 km. On my GTI the OLM says 20 - 25K km, however I use to perform one intermediate change on my own. Roughly the same with the Mini Cooper.

i´ve seen few years old 1,2 / 1,5 tsi which smoked as 2stroke bike..

generally, cars sold in eu, use also different oils (lowsaps, thinner sae). for example same car sold outside europe, uses fullsaps and xw40..

Likely older gen EA111 (timing chain) 1.2 and 1.4 TSI (Golf Mk5 and Mk6, Touran Mk1 etc.). The current gen EA211 (toothed belt) 1.0 and 1.5 TSI seem to bear up better (Golf Mk7, A3 8V, Leon 5F).

European engines don't genereally run thinner oils. Most US 5W-30 oils are in fact thinner compared to BMW LL-04 or VW 504 00 spec 5W-30. American manufacturers recommended 30 weight oils long before European manufacturers did. Same with 20 weight oils. Japanese and US manufacturers began to use them in the 1990s, while Europeans just started to recommend 0W-20 last five years for some engines. VW and Porsche even released a new 0W/5W-40-only spec quite recently (VW 511 00/Porsche C40).

must be lots of low mileage vehicles there that reach 10 years old. How many do they export to other countries at the end of 10 years? Could get a low mileage vehicle import. even 300000 km is only a little over 180000 miles, probably lots with under 200000 kilometers.

One thing I've wondered about with Southeast Asia and cars is I think conditions for engines are a lot easier there, barring traffic. It's my weird theory that in USA we have a lot more issues not just due to cold starts, but cold/hot weather fluctuations messing with seals or possibly even causing metal in pistons/etc to have different rates of expansion and contraction that are more drastic here where things are below but then can reach 100F or so in summer, too.

over few decades, it was this belief, that japan or german cars are indestructible. that could be true in in the past.
times are changing, everybody now uses stricter emission systems, which does decrease vehicle lifespan, adds more complexity.
sometimes google sends me to japan or german car forums. after several pages i realized, indestructible car is a myth.
everybody has some problems, but birds are not always singing about it.
Certain Japanese cars are problem cars. The warranty clerk at a dealership can tell you which ones they are. Some models have problems and some never seem to break or have any problem. Nothing but horrible experiences with German cars at dealerships makes me stay away from them. Trade-ins got sent to the wholesale lot so their problems went away. Just because it's expensive and German doesn't make it good.

OH, NO! We can't start another project farm war in the comments.
No need to start a war ... just watch the video and enjoy it for what it is (or not), and keep judgemental and critical comments to yourself.

IMHO, this is a very lighthearted and fun video, posted as an adjunct to a previous comment.

One thing I've wondered about with Southeast Asia and cars is I think conditions for engines are a lot easier there, barring traffic. It's my weird theory that in USA we have a lot more issues not just due to cold starts, but cold/hot weather fluctuations messing with seals or possibly even causing metal in pistons/etc to have different rates of expansion and contraction that are more drastic here where things are below but then can reach 100F or so in summer, too.
The ambient heat and humidity around the ecuator is just terrible. Many cases of eroded clearcoat and paint, damaged glass seals causing water leaks inside causing rust on the floor pan. Engines overheating, some people taking the shortcut and dumping their thermostats. Counterfeit oil.
Bad oil (KIXX,MAzLub,Bio Ray,MIZU,Maxxoil). Quickly failing Coils/distributors.
Its a hard life for cars here.

Singapore driving falls under "normal condition". Nice roads, too many expressways, no extended stop and go driving, dust is almost non existent. If I will own a car in Singapore, probably I will stretch my OCI to 3 years or 20k kms which ever comes first. No point of babying my car if government will scrap that after 10years. Too expensive to own a car there.

Back