If you had to use a quick change place, would you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right it isn't worth that at all.

Why don't you do it yourself, it take no time at all to do the job properly.

A dealer or tires plus will not neccesarily be any better then a quick lube place. Trust me, first hand knowledge, there are idiots working everywhere. Even at the dealer, the newbie or uncertified person is doing the oil changes, tire rotations ect.

Find a son, grandson, nephew, nice or neighbor to change your oil and supervise.

An investigation of Jiffy Lube.

Excellent work by the reporter.

I used to get my oil changed at Wal-Mart when I lived in Maryland. One time my wife took the car in and when she went to leave the tire was leaking air. She could actually hear the leak. She went in and explained it to them and they refused to do anything. She called me and when she started explaining it to me they all the sudden decided to fix the leak for free. Hmmmm.

Another time I was back there getting key made and I overheard the service manager talking with someone over the phone. Apparently they didn't put the drain plug back into this guy's car and the engine was ruined. He was really fighting to not pay too much and sounded like he didn't want to fix their mistake.

I've since moved from Maryland and now have a garage where I can store car maintenance items and change my oil myseld. An oil change in my town costs $35. At that crazy cost I'll be doing it myself until the cows come home. And by the time the cows come home an oil change will cost $50.

I don't know where in Ohio you are, but I just had the oil changed in my MB last night at Lube Stop. I was able to watch them do the whole procedure. They used a Mann filter and Mobil 1 oil. Yes, they did try to sell me the engine flush, but when I told them no, they dropped it. I think that they are only located in NE Ohio.

At least at some change places you can watch them. At a dealer you don't get to watch the guy who was the floorsweeper last week change your oil.

you must be a Rip Off Lube Redneck customer if?

your oil filter thread base is stripped and cross threaded

your oil pan plug hole is stripped and cross threaded

they put in the wrong weight of oil

they only drained half of the old oil

oil sprayed out of the new loose filter and oiled your front brakes

you have spun rod bearings from a loose leaking oil plug

your wife and kids burned up in the mini van after an oil change and filter sprayed hot oil onto 1000d catalytic converter sending van into 100 ft high oil and fuel flames until engine died....looked like a kid bake in Faluja on WP napalm night

Nope, change my own oil and filter. Know exactly what was taken out and what went back in and on. Period.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Don't you just HATE not being able to edit a post!!
offtopic.gif

I think you missed the point of my original post. Its not that dont know how to change my oil or dont want to change it, its that I dont know if I am going to be able to because I am moving from Ohio to FL and I dont know if the apartments/condo/villa whatever I end up renting will allow you to change your oil (considering if you spill it and someone slips the management is responsible) Not to mention if there is no storage you have to chuck the whole used oil drain container if you dont have a garage to keep it in (which would add antoher 5-10.00 to an oil change)
Thanks for the posts and links.

No matter where I lived, I changed my own oil. I refuse to let anybody else do it.

While living in apartments I modified my oil change kit. I put a shallow bucket in a plastic bag, did my drain and filter change, poured the old fluid into an empty plastic jug, inverted the plastic bag, put the mess in the bag and then the dumpster. The pan was clean and the only mess to deal with was a dirty funnel.

This seems to be a pretty good deal from Ford for those of us who live out west:

Three for one oil change special

For $36.95 you get three oil changes & services (5 qts Motorcraft Blend, filter, tire rotation, top off fluids, additional useless inspections, etc.).

If you trust your local Ford service department, that's a pretty good deal...especially since it incluces tire rotations.

M_C

I have a belly pan with 10 fasteners, a ZF automatic transmission with expensive synthetic ATF and a visible drain plug, and a small-sump turbocharged engine which requires VW502.00 oil and an oversize filter. There is no way I would ever trust this car to ANY *-Lube joint.

Here is what I would do. Get the fumoto valve.
You can then drain it into an empty 5qt oil jug. (from previous oil change)
Buy a 1$ trashcan at dollar store for the oil filter.
(if you cant use a trick) ie slipping a 2lt bottle over it
to catch the oil.
All you would have to store is a set of ramps.
I changed the oil in my ranger 10x in my apt parking lot
spilling about 3 drops total.

OK, I gotta admit it. I pretty much stopped changing my own oil a couple years ago; just too much mess and hassle. I take both my cars to the WalMart T&LE and have never had a bad experience. I can watch the tech from the customer waiting area or from along the fence line adjacent to the work area. Their SuperTEch filters are great, and you have a wide variety of oil to choose from. In my area Castrol GTX happens to be their bulk oil, which suits me just fine. I've got the lifetime rotate and balance deal on my tires, so I can get an oil change and tire servicing for $20 +/- and be outta there in an hour. Can't beat that with a stick as far as I'm concerned. Gotta get there when the store first opens to avoid having to wait.

Quote:

Would you use Valvoline or Castrol??? Better filters with either? I am going to be moving and I may not be able to do my own oil changes at my next residence but these are close by. Does Mobil Still have any quick change places?? I would like to stick with Mobil one if possible, but will have to do with the others if I cant find one. Quick change is of utmost importance as I dont want, nor have the time to sit at a dealer/shop for an hour or two. Plus, the horror stories of mechanics taking the good stuff you bring in. yada yada yada

The apartment complex were i live told me not to change my oil but i do it anyway. Get a drip pan and a oil collection container and some carb cleaner and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back