if you could live as long as you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazy bugger, that guy. I mean, invincible immortal and he saves, what, one hot Jewish girl from The Holocaust? Not as if there was something good on TV either.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: grampi
If society continues changing the way it has over my lifetime, I certainly wouldn't want to stick around forever...it's sickening to watch how this country, and the world really, is spinning down the toilet...there are still good things and joys to experience in life, but they're getting harder and harder to come by...

It's interesting that you say that. People have been saying that the world was getting worse since the 19th century and way before that I'm sure. You had the civil war, WWI and then WWII. The latest wars aren't actually that bad compared to those.

And people have ben saying exactly the same thing you've said. But the fact is...our culture is quickly deteriorating. Morals change...but the basics are constant. We've become far more immoral. Same thing with ethics. Honesty....integrity...taking care of family. Responsibility. Accountability. Respect for your neighbor. Respect for marriage. Manners. Work ethics. Social etiquette. I could go on and cite examples...but I have a feeling that you, and many others, would be defending modern culture and have an opposite view....yet the further down the toilet our nation tumbles.

Yup! This is the very thing we've been talking about every generation!

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2323/europe-on-the-verge-of-civil-war-a%80%93-swiss-army-chief-s-urgent-warning.html

Originally Posted By: grampi
And people have been saying exactly the same thing you've said. But the fact is...our culture is quickly deteriorating. Morals change...but the basics are constant. We've become far more immoral. Same thing with ethics. Honesty....integrity...taking care of family. Responsibility. Accountability. Respect for your neighbor. Respect for marriage. Manners. Work ethics. Social etiquette. I could go on and cite examples...but I have a feeling that you, and many others, would be defending modern culture and have an opposite view....yet the further down the toilet our nation tumbles.

I believe that you feel the current culture is deteriorating is an opinion, not a fact. Those items you cite could be more to do with living in a bad neighborhood than society in general. If you look at the FACTS, crime is way down. Remember guys like Al Capone, Machine gun Kelly, etc? It was a lot more brutal and common in the past. Now we just get mass shootings every few months.

You may just be depressed.

You should see a doctor about that, they've got plenty of different kinds of drugs these days.

I don't know what society you live in where you do don't see what andrewg described. You don't have to live in a bad neighborhood to see it, it's present everywhere...

Thank you grampi!

I kind of figured that response. It's very common for those not able to see cultural decline. While others feel it is an opinion....it is highly obvious to even a casual observer of cultural habits that we've become horribly rude, discourteous, and generally nasty toward one another. I don't live in a slum either. But yes, the behaviors of my neighbors is trending that way because they see others all around them doing the same. It's like an infection. I can list...daily...the things that I see people doing around me, when I am at work or play....that you would have rarely seen thirty or more years ago.
It's just incredible that anybody today would think we are a more civil and cultured society than a few decades ago. It's frustrating that when you talk about our societal problems today, many respond with the "crime is down" mantra. Some violent crimes are...but petty crimes and unreported crimes are WAY up.
It's really something though that I get told to get on medication because I sound depressed. I guess I'm not supposed to express what I have observed in the past few decades unless it's something positive. Drugs to make you happy is the norm today.
Insulting really.

The people who don't see the deterioration of our society are part of the problem...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
How many years could you go before you wanted to blow your brains out?

I would wager no human could go more than 1000 years before going insane.

I'm 100% sure I could live that long without any issue. However, the risk of accidental death always looms large in such a scenario.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'd have no problem continuing to live on and on until time ends. I'm very adaptable.

That's a very long time, but not as long as forever. I believe that would be the heat death of the universe and you wouldn't survive it even if you could live that long. The atoms themselves would decay and I believe the universe reaches a uniform temperature of about 3 degrees kelvin. Or something like that.

I kind of figured that response. It's very common for those not able to see cultural decline. While others feel it is an opinion....it is highly obvious to even a casual observer of cultural habits that we've become horribly rude, discourteous, and generally nasty toward one another. I don't live in a slum either. But yes, the behaviors of my neighbors is trending that way because they see others all around them doing the same. It's like an infection. I can list...daily...the things that I see people doing around me, when I am at work or play....that you would have rarely seen thirty or more years ago.
It's just incredible that anybody today would think we are a more civil and cultured society than a few decades ago. It's frustrating that when you talk about our societal problems today, many respond with the "crime is down" mantra. Some violent crimes are...but petty crimes and unreported crimes are WAY up.
It's really something though that I get told to get on medication because I sound depressed. I guess I'm not supposed to express what I have observed in the past few decades unless it's something positive. Drugs to make you happy is the norm today.
Insulting really.

Actually that last bit about medication was somewhat of a joke if you could take it as one. If you took it seriously then maybe you should look into it.

You see what you want to see.

I like how you say that unreported crime is way up. As there's no statistics, it can't be proven that it's up or down. I could say the same thing, unreported crime is way down and there's nothing to back it up either way.

Most of what you report is anecdotal evidence, the weakest kind. If you look around outside, it's all in the news. If it bleeds, it leads. That's what gets reported. That's not really the trend though. You've taken the exception for the rule. A classic blunder, the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia".

Insulting really.

Yes, overall it seems society is declining. I see so many things that just make me shake my head and think how can people be so retarded. Go rent and watch the movie "Idiocracy" and you'll see what the world may turn into someday. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy ]

All you can do it try to make the world a better spot in your own life, and try to realize it's not going to change by being negative about it. Sure, it's disappointing that society goes down the paths it does, but for some reason there is a huge force driving it that is not easily changed. Some people strive to try and make changes, but it takes a massive amount of people all striving for the same positive goal. Hang with positive people and do positive things ... those are the basic actions that makes living in a society worth living.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 285south
I am Duncan MacLeod, born four hundred years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the stroke of a sword and the fall of a head will release the power of the Quickening. In the end, there can be only one.

That's a coincidence...did you ever meet Connor McLeod...sounds like you could have been related.

Connor was definitely the better Highlander. Duncan was some sort of self righteous, pompous, self appointed, goody two shoes. Not unlike a few posters on this thread.

Connor was more comfortable in being human, had more fun, and seemed more genuine.

Insulting really.

Actually that last bit about medication was somewhat of a joke if you could take it as one. If you took it seriously then maybe you should look into it.

I like how you say that unreported crime is way up. As there's no statistics, it can't be proven that it's up or down. I could say the same thing, unreported crime is way down and there's nothing to back it up either way.

Most of what you report is anecdotal evidence, the weakest kind. If you look around outside, it's all in the news. If it bleeds, it leads. That's what gets reported. That's not really the trend though. You've taken the exception for the rule. A classic blunder, the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia".

I don't take it as a joke when somebody suggests I am depressed and in need of drugs because my opinion differs from their own. I must have missed the humor.

As for our definite cultural, moral, and societal decline...I do not just "see what I want to see". It's in evidence all around us...wherever you live in this country. Some areas declining faster than others.

As for crime statistics? Well, the past twenty years, a modest reduction has occurred from a seriously high level. That certainly isn't a whole lot to cheer about...nor is it an indicator that our society is any better off...only that preventative measures are getting more efficient at thwarting crimes. I still contend that unreported crimes are way up (as is the actual unemployment rate...not the touted one). Many folks skip reporting petty crimes or things like vandalism, destruction of property, threats, etc. Why? Because the police will basically not care or do anything unless you have the offender in a headlock. If you want to say I can't "prove" it to satisfy you needs...fine. But I have been a victim of these crimes myself and have many friends that tell me the same. It happens weekly. Decades ago, you would rarely ever hear about it because it just wasn't happening.
My main point about crime and our society CAN be illustrated by statistics however. You may look it up. But from 1930 to the late 1950's...virtually NO increase of the crime rate was occurring in almost 30 years! The population soared....but no corresponding crime rate. Why do you think that was??? Do you simply just ignore it as "anecdotal"? You can't, it's a fact. And the reason the rate didn't increase was because morally and culturally we were FAR more decent and respectful of a society. we behaved better...we felt a duty to be honest and obey laws as well as treat others with a level of decency we don't see anymore. The crime rate back then (all crimes combined) was 800 per 100,000 people. By 1970 it reached 2500 per 100k people. Why do you think that was? Could it have been the "liberating" 1960's? That often mistakenly romanticized period is where, in reality, we began our massive moral decline. Leftist ideals and a disregard for order, laws, and authority as well as a general discarding of generations of marital and family values. By 1980 the crime rate increased to 6000 per 100k.
But yes...you can jump for glee that our rate today is somewhat declining over 20 years ago.

Crime is only one indicator of our decline. How about poverty....or at least those not willing to work? Today, according to U.S. Census stats...the amount of people on food stamps equals the population of 24 states! In 1969 the number of people on food stamps was 2.8 million. Today? 47 MILLION!!! Does that sound like things are "better" to you?

The U.S. ranks 27th on the health of it's citizens while $60 billion more dollars were spent on prescription drugs than just a fews years ago (2010). We rank 30th in life expectancy according to various statistical gatherings. Decades ago we were in the top 5. Does that seem "better" to you?

The U.S. ranks 23rd in the world in it's quality of infrastructure. We used to be number 1.

We all want instant gratification as opposed to decades ago. No need to work hard and pay up front when we have credit, right? Credit card debt is 8 times what it was 30 years ago. Does that sound like we are a healthy society?

You can have your opinions and slight mine as just "seeing what I choose". That's up to you. Pretending all is well and that life is better now and our country is more crime are....well, that's just YOU seeing what YOU want to see.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:

Crime is only one indicator of our decline. How about poverty....or at least those not willing to work? Today, according to U.S. Census stats...the amount of people on food stamps equals the population of 24 states! In 1969 the number of people on food stamps was 2.8 million. Today? 47 MILLION!!! Does that sound like things are "better" to you?

Does this figure include those who work AND receive food stamps?
You know, there are people who put in a full week of work and still fall short of the poverty line. Especially if they have children.

The U.S. ranks 27th on the health of it's citizens while $60 billion more dollars were spent on prescription drugs than just a fews years ago (2010). We rank 30th in life expectancy according to various statistical gatherings. Decades ago we were in the top 5. Does that seem "better" to you?

Agree. The access to medical care is a problem. Lots of people skip going to the doctor because it costs too much.

The U.S. ranks 23rd in the world in it's quality of infrastructure. We used to be number 1.

Agree.

We all want instant gratification as opposed to decades ago. No need to work hard and pay up front when we have credit, right? Credit card debt is 8 times what it was 30 years ago. Does that sound like we are a healthy society?

Im going to guess that 30 years ago fewer people had credit cards. Can that be broken down to CC debt per person?
Also, "instant gratification"? Really? When has that ever not been a human thing? I wonder if people 90 years ago used similar phrasing to talk about people who purchased cars instead of horses.

You can have your opinions and slight mine as just "seeing what I choose". That's up to you. Pretending all is well and that life is better now and our country is more crime are....well, that's just YOU seeing what YOU want to see.

Happy New Year.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I think I could've gone on forever while I was in kindergarten... seemed like it would last forever, no pressure etc...

things really go downhill from there.

I have no interest to live particularly long, just want to be in good enough health to provide for the family and see the daughter make something of her life.

70 would be enough I think...

Similar, my wife asked about my bucket list last year.

Was basically was to do enough now that they will be looked after regardless of what happens.

Then this thread...eternal life would mean eternal work of some description, and that would mean keeping one step ahead of the robots that are taking over everyone else's jobs.

In consideration, what we get (on average) is about OK.

I'd be happy to stay and learn every new development in whatever field took my fancy, but that time has to be paid for somehow.

Hmmm, looking back on this a couple of days.

Son got an xbox 360 for Christmas, and for giggles we were playing death match one on one on Halo...great mindless entertainment with my boy.

Wife commented while I was showering later that I hadn't laughed since around October...probably close to the mark. That's what's reflected in the above quote, burning out to keep the wheels turning.

Nearly half way into a three week break, and I'm pretty sure that 70's not enough...not sure on 1,000.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'd have no problem continuing to live on and on until time ends. I'm very adaptable.

You're not really thinking it through
You'd get bored doing the same things over and over as [censored] is repetition. And eventually you'd gladly end yourself.

P.S to all. Can't we talk about anything without it coming down to blaming those evil welfare recipients? Society has improved greatly. People have more rights. Black people don't have to sit in the back of the bus and people aren't gassed to death by the millions. But all that stuff is off topic.

I've been paying taxes since I was 15 at my first job.

I have No idea why people believe in cradle to grave government assistance and never have a job... but complain about the wealthy rich 1%.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I have No idea why people believe in cradle to grave government assistance and never have a job... but complain about the wealthy rich 1%.

We don't care and don't want to talk about it. The question is how long could you live before going insane.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
We don't care and don't want to talk about it. The question is how long could you live before going insane.

I think it's happened to enough of us long before anything approaching a normal age of natural mortality; in fact, probably before first grey hairs.
wink.gif

Every one of us is guilty of differing perspectives. Learning to empathize instead of just wail is a key factor in enjoying the few years we get!

Watching "The News" will give you a distorted view of the reality out there, IMO...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

You ever notice how certain posters want to silence posts like this one? I wonder why...Could it be? No way...

My family members that lived into their 90s all said, "the worst thing is all your friends die". Not to mention the spouse. Die in 1000 years or today, mox nix. We all have to make the most of this day, this morning, this hour, this minute. Do that and have no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back