Idea for ATF flush setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought of making my own ATF flush machine. Need 2 five-gallon buckets (approx) and a wooden box to put them on. The source bucket up top (for gravity feed) and the old fluid bucket on the bottom. Run clear hoses from each bucket to the appropriate lines on the ATF cooler. Top bucket to the inlet and bottom bucket to the ATF outlet. Fill the top bucket with fresh ATF and open the line to the cooler. Now turn on the vehicle and the ATF should go down from the top bucket into the cooler line and back out to the bottom bucket. When you're in the driver seat and see the top bucket going empty, then turn off the truck and you're done. Just an idea been tossing around in my head. Any suggestions or ideas?

You would just have to make sure that your Gravity feed input matches the pumps output so that the tranny isn't putting out more than you are putting in.

Very unlikely that you're refilling as fast as it pumps out. The new, cool fluid won't drain through that long, skinny cooler return line very fast at all.

It won't work.
The return line doesn't 'suck'.
It is pressure fed .
Drain into a bucket from the 'out' line, and leave the return connected.
Fill from the fill tube.

I just saved you the cost of a transmission that you wold have fried!

I agree with others, hard to feed it in at the proper rate. Even the cheap flush machines at HF use air pressure to push in the new ATF at a decent rate. They allow you to adjust the rate so you can manually match the drain and fill rates.

But what is the matter with flushing 2 QTs at a time. You need $1.00 worth of clear hose and some old milk jugs. If you make a flush machine you need to keep the new fluid container clean until next use. One more thing to store in your garage.

Why not just put the discharge hose in a 5 quart oil jug. They have the markings on the side for each quart. Then leave a funnel in the fill tube.

Then start it up and watch your oil jug. When its 2/3 the way to a quart, dump a quart in funnel. When its at 1 2/3, dump a second quart in.

Thats what I did.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Why not just put the discharge hose in a 5 quart oil jug. They have the markings on the side for each quart. Then leave a funnel in the fill tube.

Then start it up and watch your oil jug. When its 2/3 the way to a quart, dump a quart in funnel. When its at 1 2/3, dump a second quart in.

Thats what I did.

Many vehicles with a thin dipstick tube cannot get the ATF in fast enough. With other vehicles its fine. Its also OK to run until you see air bubbles then shut down engine.

These techniques vary among the models. I have one car that sucks the fluid in through the dipstick hole as the old fluid is pumped out. My funnel fits tightly over the dipstick hole so the vacuum pulls the fluid in and can keep up with the flow. The problem is that I can't pour it from the bottles fast enough.

I've also read some of the Ford truck folk use the two-bucket cooler line method. One bucket for discharge, the other bucket filled with fresh fluid. Apparently there is enough suction to make this work.

Find a system that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back