I'd like to quit driving

I thought the same then did a great hike with family today and too much in world to do and see outside my 4 walls of home.

I am well done with home now.

Originally Posted by Red91
No I dont. It's never been something I care for.

If you're replying to my question about whether you exercise, then, may I suggest trying it?

You sound depressed to me. And, for me, when I'm down, a bicycle ride, a run, a few sets of pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc, a dirt bike ride, even a fast walk around a trail at a lake in the park in the sunshine is a sure cure.

Does wonders to reset your perspective.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

If you're replying to my question about whether you exercise, then, may I suggest trying it?

You sound depressed to me. And, for me, when I'm down, a bicycle ride, a run, a few sets of pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups, etc, a dirt bike ride, even a fast walk around a trail at a lake in the park in the sunshine is a sure cure.

I agree. Not easy to describe but hard to ignore. That fact is though, you have to get up and do or try it.
My calling to hiking or mtb/greenway biking was motivation for exercise and my age. I'm not a runner or a gym - workout type but I am a bit more social so I found and excuse to get out with some others, starting to get more active about 15 years ago.

If more a loner, there is only you, your own gumption to getting out but when doing so, push a bit harder at times for some burst of strenuous activity. A quick pace of hiking at some sections of a loop or trail or path. Biking is a joy for me, covering much greater area or distance in the same time. Endorphins are a positive trade off for some little time spent and the 'runners high" is something you can get without running. Many forms of exercise or a good workout bring on the effect.
Your 'cost' is time. Just managing a bit of a routine does me a world of good. Even just a few hours a week or getting out every other day, for some it's every day or morning at the same time.... whatever works.
Much of our health, both physical and emotional is lifestyle related. Choices and things we can control.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer

Absolutely agree. I absolutely DESPISE even the thought of going to the gym after being at work for 12 hours. But I always feel so so SO much better after I do. Doesn't totally cure my anxiety, but does give me an outlet for some of that energy.

Last edited:
I used to go for a several mile walk around the neighborhood, but I got tired of traffic and people constantly stopping to ask if I needed a ride. It's been quite some time. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a dedicated walking space, again if not for people. I just really dont do well with people when I'm not prepared for it. I've heard of the "runner's high", but the only thing I've ever felt after exercise was tired. 🤷â€â™€ï¸

With small children it is unlikely to work, also the wait time between going somewhere and waiting for a ride to show up is just too much for me. When I'm retired probably a good idea but not currently.

To me the insurance would not be an issue at $350 a year per car, nor would the cost of registration of an old car ($300 or so a year). The major PITA would be parking. If I live in a downtown I'd give up the car.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
With small children it is unlikely to work, also the wait time between going somewhere and waiting for a ride to show up is just too much for me. When I'm retired probably a good idea but not currently.

To me the insurance would not be an issue at $350 a year per car, nor would the cost of registration of an old car ($300 or so a year). The major PITA would be parking. If I live in a downtown I'd give up the car.

That'd be the upshot to moving to a city, give up on cars or at least use only on the weekends. In college I went carless and found it rather freeing. It had its limitations of course, but my life seemed simpler at times compared to my cohorts who had no end to parking problems.

I love driving too much. I'll give it up the day I die, or most likely the day my son finally finds where I've hidden the keys. LOL But I'm only 47 and he's only 2, so I've got time to enjoy.

For what it's worth this thread is not one of current intention, it's just a thought I had. I dont live close enough to work to walk or bike, but if I did I'd certainly consider it. Sometimes I'd just rather not drive if given the option.

I do mind bad drivers, and also the risk of someone DUI from alcohol or drugs. I am quite mindful of the fact that every year here in the U.S. around 30,000 people + or - some, are killed in vehicle accidents. I actually enjoy driving sometimes, like when the engine pulls nice going up a hill with bends in it (though I am mindful of not putting the pedal to the firewall simply because I do not wish to prematurely wear out the tires by going around bends too fast). But given the choice when technology is good enough that all vehicles on the road can be autonomous I would gladly give up the steering wheel to have a vehicle that still gets me from point A to point B where I still get to decide where those points are, when I leave, and when I stay, and what I can bring along, with the added advantage that since everyone else on the road is also in an autonomous vehicle it does not matter if they are drunk or on drugs because the automated driving system of the vehicles can get everyone to their destination safely. Under those conditions I would gladly give up driving.

Also, BTW, only when all vehicles are autonomous, would I ever vote to allow marijuana to be legalized because even when it is not legal there are people who drive while under the influence of it, and if it were legal there would (are in some states) be more people driving under its influence, and more accidents, and more deaths. I hope the race to autonomous vehicles beats the race to legalize pot so that when it does become legal it does not cause more deaths. Without getting into any political party ties, I think that there are a couple of big driving factors that are leading states to legalize pot such as the taxes that can be collected on it if it made legal, and the cost of putting people in prison for using it while it not legal.

PS: when I was a kid in the boy-scouts, one of the other boys in the troop was killed when a drunk driver crossed the center line and hit the car he was in that his girlfriend was driving. The drunk and the kids girlfriend survived the accident, but he was dead on the scene. I have known of people who drank and wrecked cars, and of stories of going to junk-yards and counting the number of empty beer cans in the car that was totaled and towed to a junk-yard. There are reasons I believe autonomous vehicles will save lives.

Last edited:
For what it's worth this thread is not one of current intention, it's just a thought I had. I dont live close enough to work to walk or bike, but if I did I'd certainly consider it. Sometimes I'd just rather not drive if given the option.

I lived close enough to work to bike there a few years back (different job). I considered it, but after biking near the area I will never consider that again. I don't understand how people even bike on public roads anymore. Even wearing bright clothes people don't see you and are too busy looking down at their phones.

My view is that urban driving has gotten harder the past 10-15 years. It costs more to drive. Higher insurance premiums, registrations, taxes, plus most of the HOV lanes here are pay to play now. Add to that some screwy engineering like roundabouts in various forms, double diamond divergent interchanges and narrower lanes keep me on my toes. Throw in cameras everywhere and the days of a relaxing drive to the mall or park are pretty much gone. It's a huge difference once you get out of the metro areas and heavy traffic.

Autonomous driving cars will be a relief but we aren't there yet.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
...There are reasons I believe autonomous vehicles will save lives.

Not if they're programmed by the same programmers I've been dealing with for the last 20 years...

Well go for it, quit driving, have the experience. My prediction is unless you live in a city with excellent public transportation, you will be back driving after the reality hits. Even in a city you still have to drag things home like food, and you may want to go somewhere further without taking the bus or train or uber. In your twenties it is fun to try things. I am pretty certain when you are in your sixties/seventies you won't be saying I remember when I quit driving forty years ago and have never driven since. You aren't going to be riding on a bus with a shopping cart with the wheels sitting in the senior seats up front.

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
...There are reasons I believe autonomous vehicles will save lives.

Not if they're programmed by the same programmers I've been dealing with for the last 20 years...

I can't see autonomous vehicles catching on anywhere outside of urban areas for decades. The onset of the ride-sharing anodyne transport pods beloved of the "1984 had a happy ending!" set has suffered a major setback courtesy of COVID-19- so that's one pandemic bright spot.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Well go for it, quit driving, have the experience. My prediction is unless you live in a city with excellent public transportation, you will be back driving after the reality hits. Even in a city you still have to drag things home like food, and you may want to go somewhere further without taking the bus or train or uber. In your twenties it is fun to try things. I am pretty certain when you are in your sixties/seventies you won't be saying I remember when I quit driving forty years ago and have never driven since. You aren't going to be riding on a bus with a shopping cart with the wheels sitting in the senior seats up front.

I went carless in college. The trick to doing shopping is not to do big trips--you are allowed to go out more than once a month for shopping. When the pandemic settles down, it may even be allowed to go every day!

There are things such as getting a taxi, or, the evil! having friends who still own cars and drive and could help you ferry things home from the really big shopping trips. Or ordering in bulk when it makes sense.

Making hiking more interesting by driving to different hiking trails every day. Keep the car, walking the same trail every day does get boring.

Back