I'd like to quit driving

Until a vaccine or cure is developed for the ongoing virus any thoughts of using public transit or even getting into any vehicle with only one stranger (a driver of some type of service) is totally off the table.

And public transit does not provide any rides to the back roads of the big park where I like to go for a walk when the weather is nice.

A personal vehicle is much more than a way to go to the grocery store to me. It is a way to get around without coming into contact with people who are too ignorant to wear a mask properly while I am in transit. And it allows me access to places that public transit does not go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
I daily drove my Wrangler from 2002 to 2007. I still drive it to work 1-2 times per week.

My thing is, I'm 6'2", and a Cherokee is just too small. I've customized the seat track to make it a few inches further back and have put in Grand Cherokee seats, but the ergonomics just aren't right. Going out on the trails you don't notice, as you're flying all over the place regardless
lol.gif

It's also not geared for the highway, while it can certainly go faster, 65 seems to be the sweet spot and that barely keeps up with the Prius's on the road. I just keep in the right lane and be patient. It's also quite bouncy, but has all new suspension. Just the nature of the beast.

However, I did just install cruise control in it, can't wait to take it out and enjoy that. All I needed was a 95'-96' Cherokee cruise control servo which plugged right in, a 96' cruise control switch for the steering wheel, and a 96' clock spring.

I love driving, always have and always will. It truly is ate up these kids nowadays not wanting to get their license. There are a few of them at work. I work with a girl that's afraid to drive and she asks me to drive her to meet her boyfriend who gets off around the same time being his work is in my direction it saves her from having to wait on him. Plus it saves them on gas as well, with this virus lately I cut it out for now until it's settled down a bit. It doesn't bother me to help someone out but it is a bit of a hassle sometimes. The other youngsters at work that don't want to drive are guys that still live with their parents and play video games all day. Definitely so different compared to the kids I grew up with.

Last edited:
Still a car guy...has not changed in almost 30 years.

Since I have had time to work on the cars, my son has taken interest in them. He loves tech too, so at the moment the newer cars have his attention.......

Originally Posted by loneryder
More and more young people today have no interest in cars or driving. I know a number of people who had to force their teenagers to get their license. From an early age I was interested in cars and knew every make. In the 60's me and everyone I knew couldn't wait to get our license. It meant freedom and the ability to get laid. Young guys now days don't seem too interested in that. They are content to live at home into adulthood. We couldn't wait until we had the ability to move out of our parents home.
To this day I like driving although not in heavy rush hour traffic. My whole career involved outside sales and driving. My back reminds me every day of that.

Similar here too. About 14 years on the road sales or field service type work. Cars were always a joy and to this day, I don't mind running to the store for a last minute thing my wife requests or ? Almost like when I first got my license and wanted any excuse to go run an errand of have reason to drive somewhere. At 58, I'm not quite that hyped up anymore but almost. Road trips are more adventurous than flying but time constrains sometimes have to be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted by Red91
You're taking too many liberties with that opinion. I do not like the idea of self piloting automobiles. I am, however, interested in seeing less traffic on the road and willing to only drive when I need to. When I was younger, and not too Terribly long ago, I enjoyed an aimless pleasure cruise. These days however I like to be home as much as possible.

I think your situation is interesting and I've heard this lack of interest in automotive is real and happening. I think it's cool in all ways if it's workable. Costs of operation, maintenance and insurance should put folks well ahead of the curve for annual savings. Less 'stuff' is not a bad thing. I understand many feel "normal" is being a car guy- washing, waxing, wrenching and ? but there are far too many endeavors and other targets of interest or vocation in life than to pin any one thing as right, strange or normal.
As to self - driving, I don't think of you as that customer either. Sure, it's on the way and been coming for some time but the market will bear out it's success and format in time.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Originally Posted by loneryder
More and more young people today have no interest in cars or driving. I know a number of people who had to force their teenagers to get their license. From an early age I was interested in cars and knew every make. In the 60's me and everyone I knew couldn't wait to get our liscense. It meant freedom and the ability to get laid. Young guys now days don't seem too interested in that. They are content to live at home into adulthood. We couldn't wait until we had the ability to move out of our parents.

Agree 100% and cannot expand on that with my thoughts without being banned.

Haha EXACTLY!! Car keys=freedom!! When I was 15 I got my learner's permit and that opened up a whole new world for me and my friends.

This is clearly an individual choice so for me I would never voluntarily surrender my ability to move or drive around freely. Even if I didn't want to drive, I wouldn't surrender the ability to make the choice or change my mind.

My 25 year old son likes cars; he's not as much of a gearhead as me but he drives an older 328i and enjoys watching auto racing. Like me, he's a bit of an outlier- he follows F1 and NASCAR.

Last edited:
In my situation I also have increasingly bad social anxiety. Part of my unwillingness to drive comes from the fact that I'm about to be thrust into a social situation. I have pondered the possibility that I'm high functioning autistic, coupled with the fact that I'm treated for bipolar disorder, severe depression, and psychotic thoughts. I've got myself a nice little grab bag of issues. The older I get, the more of a hermit I become. I have my days I can barely keep it together at work. The only real solace i receive is at home.

Most of the young folks around here still want to drive, but there are definitely some that either won't or don't drive. I'm 53, everybody wanted to get their driver's license at 16 years old when I was their age. So it's definitely a phenomenon now.

All the young folks are big into technology now. But that doesn't seem to translate into a curiosity about automotive technology.

Originally Posted by Red91
In my situation I also have increasingly bad social anxiety. Part of my unwillingness to drive comes from the fact that I'm about to be thrust into a social situation. I have pondered the possibility that I'm high functioning autistic, coupled with the fact that I'm treated for bipolar disorder, severe depression, and psychotic thoughts. I've got myself a nice little grab bag of issues. The older I get, the more of a hermit I become. I have my days I can barely keep it together at work. The only real solace i receive is at home.

I'm sorry that you have those issues that you're dealing with, but, from your posts, I can tell that you're a thoughtful person. A thinker.

May I ask, do you exercise? And, by exercise, I mean, do you get regular, vigorous exercise just for the sake OF exercising (I don't mean just walking around the block, or the exercise you get while working).

I drive a bunch, about 23 miles one way to my van pool park & ride, or 58 all the way to work. It is thankfully pretty low stress driving, except when the tourists are here. I'd take self driving but only if I could literally sleep through it, as I do riding the van.

Wife's car has the radar cruise control which is nice for drafting 18 wheelers, saving gas and a little more stress.

I drive boring prii but like the scenery and solitude, and time to unwind from work. Quantity (mileage) over quality (excitement).

My kids don't seem to want to learn, not sure what is up with that. I had all sorts of desire to get the freedom that a license afforded. Maybe I made their lives too cozy...

I've been on WFH for two months, have at least another week (maybe more) and I'm about to start commuting around the block. I find myself using any excuse to go out for a drive for "essential" items. Which makes zero sense to me--I own nothing but Toyota's, so, that must mean I hate driving, right?

Anyhow. There's a gauge on the dashboard, but I forgot what it's for. It has an E and and F on it. My wife doesn't know either, but she's quite sure that E means Enough.

I will never give up owning a car or driving unless I am forced to. The thought of relying on public transportation, even if readily available and convenient is revolting. The idea of using Lyft or Uber also does not appeal to me. Variable pricing depending upon demand and having to wait for a driver to show up ? No thanks.
I have always enjoyed driving, other than the [censored] that is a commute in SouCal. The freedom of having a reliable vehicle in my garage at the ready for any time I want/need to go anywhere is essential to my lifestyle.
In fact my goal, once the market recovers and I feel comfortable liquidating some stock shares, is to buy a high performance sports car as an occasional driver. I'll be 65 soon and hope to own cars that are fun to drive for as long as I live.

There are many advantages of using your own vehicle. You go where you please, stay or leave when you want, and bring along what ever you want, or might end up needing. I can bring much more accessorize items in my own vehicle than I could with public transportation. If an unpredicted rain gets me soaked while I am on a walk in the woods, I have a change of clothes waiting in my vehicle. If the amount of required clothing changes because of temperature change I can leave a coat or jacket in the vehicle, or add a coat or jacket. Need extra water, it is in the vehicle. Need a snack, it is in the vehicle. Wore pants and now it is too hot and requires cutoffs, they are in the vehicle. Wore cutoffs and it turns cold, pants are in the vehicle.

I started carrying an extra change of clothes when I was into sailing, because there is a chance you end up in the lake. Sometimes that change of clothes came in handy for other reasons. It is a convince that public transportation does not allow.

So sell your car and take Uber or public transit.
Or do like my nephew, he's one of those cool city dudes that get around on a bicycle.
Put the money from the sale of the car into a good indexed mutual fund and contribute the savings from any future insurance and registration fees into it.

It may be a phase. What I don't like are the aggressive drivers, not the driving. I know a number of people who say the same thing. Don't look forward to driving somewhere due to the level of hostility out there now. Not always, but a lot of the time.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I love driving and I'm totally in favor of everyone else looking for alternative transportation.
grin.gif

Same. Less traffic for me is a win.
lol.gif

I haven't got to that point yet. Today I'm 69. I sold my 1983 Hondamatic 450 a few years ago and decided to only own a 4 wheeled vehicle. I love my Prius C and won't part with it for a while. But I hear you with the expense and if I had to, I could also use the bus and walk and save myself a lot.

Back