Ice Storm - still got power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it finally hit, the ice storm cluster**** of the decade. Virtually every tree has some kind of breakage or damage. Our huge backyard box elder maple tree lost 1/3 of it's branches last night- and I was really proud of it for how well it's stood up to recent [censored] weather in the past 20 years and now she has finally seen major injury.

Might be out of power for a few days at least- not great when it's Winter.

Trees are all broken up, everything is encrusted in 1.5 inches thick of ice.

So I began preparing a little bit last week, namely de-hard wiring the furnace, and installing a plug for a receptacle in case it needs to be plugged into the little 1200W genny. Turns out won't need to since I wired the genny up to the panel (fully disconnected from the mains!!)

Then I got my two group 34D batteries watered up, they're on an old salvaged APC UPS 1400VA unit. What a fine UPS, with the group 34s is got a great run time, puts out pure sine wave and it's got a sensitivity setting so that I can connect the aforementioned 1200W chinese genny to it which can't hold phase or voltage for the life of it- thank goodness for being able to drop sensitivity or it would never accept the gennys output.

So there are 2 TVs, cordless phone, DSL modem, lamps, computer and fish tank equipment connected to the UPS- so they never see power cut, while the genny is connected to the electrical panel on only one of the legs (one hot and neutral) so the fridge etc can work. The genny right now is running/charging the UPS and running the fridge ATM. Not bad for my little cheeze ball setup with a $150 dollar genny, salvaged UPS and the most expensive parts - the two 34 deep cycle batteries.

Infrastructure-wise, the cable amplifiers ran out of juice, so no cable. Soon the DSL Central Office batteries will die and there will be no net
frown.gif

Is anyone out there still connected and dealing with this mess???? How are ya coping??

Honestly I think London got really lucky.
I was out last night and have been out today, it has been nothing but regular rain here, the roads are clean now (washed salt away) and there are no issues at all that I am aware of in the London area.

Strange because I know people in Windsor who said they had freezing rain, and also in the GTA area.

Bizarre but we seemed to miss it somehow all together.

We didn't get any ice but we are dealing with 5 inches of snow that fell during the night. I prefer the snow to ice but its still a pain. Stay safe!

It sounded bad, but nothing bad here. So far. Have not watched the news yet to see if any carnage occurred to my north.

Good luck guys.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
We didn't get any ice but we are dealing with 5 inches of snow that fell during the night. I prefer the snow to ice but its still a pain. Stay safe!
Oh yeah, would take snow any day of the week!! Thanks bro, you too!

Sounds like you got hit as bad as we did. Guelph lost power for about 4-5hrs, it's back now but a lot of brown outs have been occurring. Roads are skating rinks, car is covered in a 1/2 inch of ice and some cars are damaged by falling branches, mine being one of them. Ah well, insurance. ;(
Haven't had one like this in a long time...

1/2 inch predicted, 1/10 inch came. Sebago Lake Maine region. Sitting on 20 gallons of generator fuel, more if you count the cars I can tap.

On the other side of the lake we didn't get it so bad.

Trees have about 1/8 inch of ice covering them and there has been some breakage, but not bad at all. We only lost power for a minute or so.

Jefferson county ny 30k + without power, about inch of ice, lots of tree damage and power/cable/phone lines down. lost power while sleeping and back on around noon. snow is nothing compared to ice storm, n I know we get 100+ inches a year

My heart goes out for the OP and others that got hit so hard.

Here in lower Michigan damage is moderate to severe. Lots of power out across the state, with predictions of up to 7 days to restore some areas.

I have quite a bit of tree damage to clean up over the next days. It sucks to loose beautiful trees.

I posted a few pictures in the photo forum: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...2_Ice_St#UNREAD

Best wishes for everyone affected.

Branches out everywhere around me. on my second day off grid.
i have the honda EM400 running CFL lights, 24/7 continuous duty. it been running 41hrs straight. just fuel every 5hrs.
the onan belt drive is providing 220/110 in house, including. hotwater (4000 watt).
The kohler 3kw autostart 4cyl 4hp watercooled light unit is running the fridges, freezers, and well. this is a sweat unit for 1950-55. You flip the light switch or. the pumps pressure switch trips the kohler starts right up. turn the swith off or pressure switch opens the kohler shuts down.

Ken

What a difference a few hundred miles can make, 353 of them to be exact!
It's over 50F here today, which provided a perfect oil change opportunity.
When we passed through Philly yesterday afternoon, it was above 60F.
It was around 50F yesterday evening on my thermometer when we arrived home from DAY, although it had apparently rained quite a bit judging by the amount of time the sump pump has run.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
We got lucky and received 4 to 6 inches of nice powder snow here in southern Wisconsin.

We got 1/4" of ice and 5 inches of new snow in Iowa in the last two days.

We still have power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back