Suggestions to heat my detached garage during winter storms

I have a home in Houston with a detached garage, and I want to be able to plan to keep it well above freezing during freak winter storms like we had in 2021, and I'm looking for ideas on the best, and safest way to do so

In there is a bunch of oil, 72 gallons of gas in sealed Wavian NATO cans, my F150 with the 36 gallon tank, and my wifes Mach-E, so lots to burn, so I don't want to get some $10 chinese POS heater

The reason I want to keep it warm is that we look after 4 TNR Cats and when there is storms/cold, we let them into the garage. It doesn't need to be 80 degrees in there since we have some heated pet blankets for them, but I really don't want it to drop below freezing in there

Power shouldn't a problem, as I have a 27kw natural gas generator. The garage is where the power comes in, so I have no circuit limits for electric, and I also have NG available in the garage too

Some kind of natural gas heater seems like it would be the ticket, but I don't really want to cut a hole for the exhaust. Not sure if anything portable like that exists

Any suggestions? The garage is completely uninsulated, with no ceiling to boot

Already have a few outdoor cat houses, but they don't fare so well in the wind. And then I still have to figure out food and water

With the garage warm-ish, I can just herd them in there. In the last storm we got when it was well below freezing, the garage was just naturally above freezing anyway. I have a network rack in there with some equipment, so I'm sure that helps some too.

It also solves the problem of having to shut the water off to the PEX pipe that runs through there

Unless you won't be living there long term, I'd insulate the walls and ceiling/roof and run your propane line to a quality wall mounted, thermostatically controlled heater. It will be cooler in the summer and more comfortable to work in in the winter. Personally I use a large Kerosun heater for those winter days myself.

Unless you won't be living there long term, I'd insulate the walls and ceiling/roof and run your propane line to a quality wall mounted, thermostatically controlled heater. It will be cooler in the summer and more comfortable to work in in the winter. Personally I use a large Kerosun heater for those winter days myself.

That project will take years to complete. All of the joists need replacing before I can put a ceiling up, and I have about 1000 projects ahead of that

The joists have about 1.5" of deflection. Not any structural concern, but would make a ceiling terrible. They are just 2x6, and span over 22 feet

As someone who has lived in much colder climes, unless there are materials out there that must not freeze (like latex paint, or other water based products) then I don't see why you should worry too much about it dropping below freezing. There are about a bazillion barn cats in Michigan and Minnesota that do just fine sleeping in a pile of hay. If you want to be really nice, you can get them some insulated cat shelters.

81mkvykW9wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You boxed yourself in with disregarding all the common sense solutions. Build another garage?

Nope, just looking for a heater...

* Insulate the garage

This is not a project that is on the cards anywhere soon. I have an endless list of more important projects. The garage needs all the joists replaced before I can install a ceiling which will require substantial work

* Outdoor Cat House

I already have multiple outdoor cat houses, but none of them do all that well in the wind, and it doesn't solve the issue of food and water freezing. I worry about 1 of the cats who is older and our favorite, he much prefers it in the garage on his heated blanket

* Let the cats inside

I already have our 1 pre-owned cat, and 1 TNR cat inside. We have no desire to have more cats inside. They are not litter box trainer, and 2 of them were fixed far too late, so in the presence of cats they don't know, they will spray. No go!

* Let the garage freeze

I don't want to... Thats why I made this post

Our cat has a bed in the garage - it sits on top of AstroFoil bcs that will bounce back body heat. We use a heat lamp and toss the bulb often. There is also a DynaGlo ceramic gas heater if it was extremely cold - but I store gasoline in my mower shed only - 40’ from the house … Do have insulation in walls/attic and 3/4” foam on doors …

Maybe just add a couple heat lamps hanging close to the electric blanket

Just get an electric blanket and put it inside a small pet house. It's what i do when it gets cold for mine.

Back