Why Do Banks Make It So Hard to Talk to a Human Customer Service Representative ?

Just had to talk to Citizens today. They tried to sent and extra debit card, and I once the card didn’t work I got a person in about 8 min…….
Are you saying you called them, ignored all the automated prompts, and after 8 minutes of waiting a Customer Service Representative got on the line with you?

I kinda feel the OP's pain. TBK has taken over several banks here, and even when you dial the local number it just routes you to TX. It's surprisingly difficult to just reach the actual, local branch. This defeats the purpose of banking locally.

My non-profit has several unique cases which baffle the phone-answerers out of state, but the local branch knows us and understands within one second.

Sometimes if you hit "0" it will take you to a live person
Other times, ignore the voice prompts and sometimes the phone will start ringing to a live person after a while OR AI ... another frustrating experience.
or send an online message or chat of which, everything in my life is done via the internet, rare I need a human but I do see your frustration. It happens, been through this lately with Amazon, freaking stupid. But now we have their hidden customer service number stored in our phones.

Sign of the times, you pay a kid over $40,000 a year to pour soda or coffee or flip burgers those jobs will be gone forever.
Funny thing is, these are the people passing these insane laws, the ones that get paid their salary from your paycheck or taxes, never a model of efficiency when others spend your money. In mankind's history it never works out well and why the USA became the world standard of prosperity but that was then, this is now.

Reactions: D60
Why Do Banks Make It So Hard to Talk to a Human Customer Service Representative ?

It's simple...

They would rather you help yourself using their website so you won't be bothering them.

They way they are spending less man hours jackin with customers and mo time countin profits!

Well, once that second kid started believing filling cups with 50 cents worth of cold liquid was worth $20/hr, the movie theater had to find ways to keep their racket profitable. And since they’re already charging an arm and a leg for tickets, any further price increases would leave them with immobile customers or ones who couldn’t carry their own concessions.

So now that kid makes $0/hr instead of $7 he should have been thankful for, and taken as a sign that he should have put more effort into learning while he was in school. 🤷‍♀️

Kids are told every job should pay a "living wage" regardless of what it is, and are oblivious to these costs born by employers thinking money simply comes from the sky.

The concept of a starter job, or a part time job goes out the window.

At the boat shop we used to have 2-3 kids working every summer, but when they want 20 an hour + benefits to sweep/ mop a floor we just bought an industrial robot and stopped hiring starter type clean up jobs.

At the boat shop we used to have 2-3 kids working every summer, but when they want 20 an hour + benefits to sweep/ mop a floor we just bought an industrial robot and stopped hiring starter type clean up jobs.
Wow ... brings back memories, every summer a fairly large boat yard would hire high school kids. This was many decades ago. Fun job, outdoors work, good tips. That marina is now condo's the land became to valuable for the owners to ignore.

Wow ... brings back memories, every summer a fairly large boat yard would hire high school kids. This was many decades ago. Fun job, outdoors work, good tips. That marina is now condo's the land became to valuable for the owners to ignore.
We even gave the kids a beater boat to use every summer. Usually something we took on trade.

Last edited:
Credit unions *may* be better than a bank but are not the be-all/end-all.

In my financial dealings I had only one institution suggest I take my business elsewhere. My offense? I just had a savings account with them, no loans or credit cards. Chase? No. Bank of America? Nope. Capital One? Nope again. It was my local, allegedly friendly credit union. And while I'm not talking Jed Clampett money on deposit, I had a decent amount on deposit at their 0.05% interest (or whatever their going rate was) so it's not like they were losing money on me keeping just the $5 minimum share to have an account with them.

Ironically, it was the evil Chase Bank that worked with me and cut me some slack when I needed it.

YMMV, of course.

Sometimes the answer to a question is in the question itself, and you have to look at the result, to see the answer. Also, the annoying music they play, seemingly louder than normal.

The result is, it is harder for you to talk to someone, and that is also the "why".

I’m a customer of the one out of RI. The one who named the Phillies ball park. They actually did help me pay off my house faster with a first lien position home equity. I was looking to go to 15 and this product was 10 with zero fees.

My wife once worked for them and their healthcare was outstanding. But even in 2016 when I went in to get a cashiers check they wanted to sell me every credit product under the sun (they don’t encourage savings products since they can’t compete and those are not commissionable). As to why one cannot talk to reps well for one there aren’t many and for two it costs too much. Everything is web, app, and self serve

Ha, try calling USCIS and try to get to human. Their AI call system deliberately denies you and tells you to go get info on website and insisting on sending a link to your email or cell phone(while website tells you to call in that situation). If you insist on getting human or start yelling at it- it just hangs up on you or it may switch to spanish and starts talking something fast (like ***? I don’t speak spanish and never told it any spanish words). After 3 unsuccessful calls,I started googling and found a “hack” that is still working. You have to say that you need to reschedule appointment (even if you don’t have one) and in that case it routes you to human agent… Very frustrating experience…
😂 I think I told the story my wife was an A-1 visa and it is very rare for one to apply for a green card. No info really online so I said no biggie I can look and get the forms I think we’ll need. My wife said are you sure we don’t need an atty? I said the only time an atty is needed is when you’re charged with a crime.

We diy’d all the paperwork and no problems. They were even friendly at every step of the way (this is 2008). But the entity in itself was faceless and all communication not in person was by usps….

😂 I think I told the story my wife was an A-1 visa and it is very rare for one to apply for a green card. No info really online so I said no biggie I can look and get the forms I think we’ll need. My wife said are you sure we don’t need an atty? I said the only time an atty is needed is when you’re charged with a crime.

We diy’d all the paperwork and no problems. They were even friendly at every step of the way (this is 2008). But the entity in itself was faceless and all communication not in person was by usps….
I have dealt with them prior. Usually, it is easy peasy until you deviate from standard. Looks like during COVID, they made it hard to get to live person on purpose as they were overloaded with work before that...

Back