Home Backup Gen in Heatwave

Hopefully power comes back soon. Generators are an extremely way to get power.

They make life livable however add up in extended outages…

Our 12kW will not start our newer 5 ton unit without a soft start kit.

Which kit did you go with? Ive had great luck with supco for my RV/ Van AC's/

My unit is a variable speed and capacity - It ramps up up and down vs a single big amp dump and is easy to start even on a big portable.

You can clearly see the yellow load line how it ramps.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 8.14.40 AM.png

Last edited:
In 17 hours of running the heaviest load in the house a significant portion of the time

Best consumption estimate is 1 cross hatch of the M1 0-W40. Not bad for a 3600 RPM 1000 twin.

It's still hot and the oil is difficult to tell from the background stick - sorry I couldn't get the camera to focus on the flip side, but you can see the level better.

IMG_4609.jpeg
IMG_4608.jpeg

Not sure the point of your post. Your power is out and you have a generator? So do a lot of people.

Not sure the point of your post. Your power is out and you have a generator? So do a lot of people.

Thats why it's in off topic. I should have probably put it in the "what are you doing right now" thread.

Point was to share info on how the device performs and ways to keep it running cool in a heatwave.

Home backup gens get pretty good interest here.

Wait until we get more electric cars. Everyone will need a generator for day to day life.

Wait until we get more electric cars. Everyone will need a generator for day to day life.

Depends on where you live.

Some countries and places do electricity right, others flounder.

Back