I want to change the filter and not the oil

So with a car that was driven 41,000+ miles a year on average for six years, even with the detailed service history, what price will you ask for this vehicle? Just curious with the high mileage.
Being a dealer he doesn't have to disclose his cost basis, but I'd wager it was medical transport, and its a $5-7k vehicle to the right buyer.

I told the buyer of a Honda I sold that I had just changed the oil/filter; using a quality filter which would cover 2 OCs.
She instantly took the car to a Pep Boys (reported on here) where they removed high quality synthetic oil and the filter and added an oil leak.

Sorry, just had to re-vent. It still bugs me.

Last edited:
You really thought I wanted to see THOSE RECORDS ? :rolleyes: Your reading comprehension seems to be at the root of this argument ..

HAHA! it's 2017 not a 2007. Have you shopped for used cars lately?
with 250k miles, good luck.

IMG_0601.jpeg

Last edited:
Change the filter if in your mind thats going to make a difference. There is nothing special about toyota filter. Now their oil is a premium oil but if you go to the dealer are you getting Toyota oil or a poorer oil like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil?
There are those here who would disagree with that assessment. I'd rate M1 as a better quality oil than Toyota-branded oil. This has been discussed here several times. One of the issues mentioned is that TGMO uses a very thin base stock coupled with lots of VI which makes it more prone to shearing and breaking down when compared to M1.

There are those here who would disagree with that assessment. I'd rate M1 as a better quality oil than Toyota-branded oil. This has been discussed here several times. One of the issues mentioned is that TGMO uses a very thin base stock coupled with lots of VI which makes it more prone to shearing and breaking down when compared to M1.
I will take the high moly of Toyota oil any day over Mobil 1 for Toyota engines. I my self use Mobil 1 in my vehicles, but I do not have a Toyota. I still like the moly in Toyota oil which looks alot like Red Lines oil.

Personally, I would like to see an oem filter on a car I'm buying, showing the owner took enough care of it to get it dealer serviced.
Not to pile-on, but surely you must be able to see how this could be viewed as deceptive, since the car, as the service records indicate, was clearly never actually dealer serviced, despite the intention for that to be inferred from the OE filter per your own statement above.

I quick look at the Carfax will show how it was serviced. If someone will base their entire buying decision just on seeing the oil filter, that's not my problem.

I will take the high moly of Toyota oil any day over Mobil 1 for Toyota engines. I my self use Mobil 1 in my vehicles, but I do not have a Toyota. I still like the moly in Toyota oil which looks alot like Red Lines oil.
You are aware that there are different types of Moly, and that just looking at the absolute numbers can be misleading. While you may prefer a lot of Moly, choosing an oil based on a single parameter is a poor way to judge the overall performance of a lubricant. For example, @OVERKILL posted this assessment of M1 and TGMO back in January of this year:

I'd use M1 over TGMO without a 2nd thought. Heavier base oil blend, lower Noack.
Last time it was tested:
- TGMO 0W-20 (SN) had a 12.9% Noack
- M1 AFE 0W-20 (SP) has a 9.8% Noack
- M1 AFE 0W-20 (SN) had a 10.7% Noack

M1 EP would be even lower.

I quick look at the Carfax will show how it was serviced. If someone will base their entire buying decision just on seeing the oil filter, that's not my problem.
But that seems to be what you are counting on, per:
atikovi said:
Personally, I would like to see an oem filter on a car I'm buying, showing the owner took enough care of it to get it dealer serviced.
🤷‍♂️

But that seems to be what you are counting on, per:

🤷‍♂️
Except I said, that is what I like seeing on a car I'm buying. Most buyers don't check the oil filter or base their buying decision on what brand is on there. If you want to read more into it than that, knock yourself out. I suppose since I used Toyota spark plugs, I'm out to mislead as well.

Is this going to be like the 500,000 mile Sequoia people said wasn't worth $1,000 that sold for $5K?
No, i dont think people here are going to doubt how you make your livelihood, the inherit risks involved or the bragging rights. I'm sure you have boatloads of charisma which all car salespeople need, and the paperwork to back the sale. 🤷‍♂️

Back