I want to change the filter and not the oil

The 2017 Corolla I got recently looks like it had an oil change not long before I got it. Oil has maybe 1,000 miles on it and looks clean. I want to replace the no name filter with a Toyota filter before selling. Any reason not to change just the filter without changing the oil?

...using dealership bulk delivered oil too?
Remember to check for a replaceable fuel filter too. They're often overlooked.

Sis' '88 Jeep had a constellation of yellow plastic highlights -the dipstick handles, warning labels, etc.-
I had bought a Penzoil (yellow) oil filter and reserved it for it's final (by me) oil change because it looked cool.

I told the buyer -a mechanically disinclined guy who I think had just gotten out of the Greybar Hotel- to just concern himself with the yellow things under the hood.

Last edited:
Personally, I would like to see an oem filter on a car I'm buying, showing the owner took enough care of it to get it dealer serviced.
And by doing this you now know why the rest of us don't put any stock into seeing an OEM filter. ;) Appearances being deceiving and all.

All kidding aside, I hear you, it does look good, and they used to be $4 per...

Paid $3.70 today.
Nice. Last time I looked they were like $6 per, in a case of 10, off Ebay. Going back to Supertech for the old car now, too much money for me, save the good ones for the good car.

Agreed you can change only the filter. I did that when I had to forcibly remove the filter from my wife's car, due to it blocking the AC charge port (while the port was still on), and knowing I had just changed it < 500 miles ago. I just added 1/2 quart...

IMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg

If you are selling the car you should just change the oil along with your new Toyota brand oil filter. Use that as a selling point (just serviced) . When people buy a newer car they expect it to be good to go and them not having to do anything to it for a while. Every time you buy a used car from a dealership it comes with a fresh oil change.

Every time you post here, can we work out a scale that you give a number 4 your what you posted. Like 10 is totally honest, and any number lower than 9 will be open to Debate. LOL
If people would simply say, to be honest....

that phrase closes out the debate :ROFLMAO:

Back