I want to change the filter and not the oil

If you are selling the car you should just change the oil along with your new Toyota brand oil filter. Use that as a selling point (just serviced) . When people buy a newer car they expect it to be good to go and them not having to do anything to it for a while. Every time you buy a used car from a dealership it comes with a fresh oil change.
I already changed the transmission fluid, the brake fluid, the coolant, so it WAS just serviced along with a dozen hard parts replaced.

It's not a big deal, seems like everyone on here who has switched to HPL changes their filter rather quickly so this really isn't anything different from that.

Done.

Oil filter.jpg

If I drive it more than maybe 500 miles before selling, I'll change the oil and drain the filter. Just wanted the the filter on so I could take the picture now for the ad.

They only time I would change the filter and not the oil, was when I was using 10k mile rated oil. Right after the first 5k miles. That, and the fact when I was working I ran up the miles pretty fast. Unless it's the wrong filter, I wouldn't change it just for the sake of changing it.,,

I would of at least grabbed some Supertech oil and changed the oil so the buyer could go on without having to worry for a good while, especially since you say it has a Jiffy Lube sticker on it.

Had don't fix what mystery old oil concoction might be in it. Way too many horror stories from these quick lube style places it surprises me how so many are still even open.
I agree. Even if Atkovi had the Jiffy Lube receipt, that doesn't mean they used the correct motor oil for the car. If you're going to bother changing the filter, then change the oil too.

I agree. Even if Atkovi had the Jiffy Lube receipt, that doesn't mean they used the correct motor oil for the car. If you're going to bother changing the filter, then change the oil too.
Yep. That’s why I shy away from buying used. Go to a show and see all the “pretty shiny muscle cars for sale with the detailed engines and such just to find out it’s a bondo buggy with fresh paint

I have seen many times where these quick lube places don't use the correct oil, mix oils or don't even fully drain out the old oil so they don't have to put as much new oil in.

If you are capable of doing an oil change yourself that is best, otherwise find a local trust worthy mechanic and stay away from the chain places unless you are lucky to find an actual decent one.

Back