I want one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ScottB, I agree. I'm not feeling this Solstice's interior. I like the Sky's interior quite a bit. It's even nicer than the Miata's, IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by mshu7:
I'm sorry, but comparing a 1980's Fiero to the 2006 Solstice/Sky is completely insane.

GM has obvisouly had it's problems, but as far as quality is concerned, they are night and day what they were in the 80's.

In general though, I typically stay away from first model years of ANY car no matter the manufacturer.

EXACTLY!! It's funny how Americans have short memories and use this logic to blast their country's products. I guess I should never buy a new Camry since the mid '60s - early '70s Coronas/Colloras/etc. were rustbuckets which literally fell apart as you drove down the road. LOL! I would never drive/own one (TOYota, that is) for other reasons, not this one.

For $2 in blank media, you can burn a DVD with close to 9GB of mp3s on it.

It wouldn't cost that much to add the ability to play mp3s off of a DVD, and frankly 9GB worth of mp3s is an impressive amount...

..and that feature would be worth a **** of a lot more to me than Ipod integration. (They could also add the ability to play DVD-audio disks, too)

EDIT: So far I've found exactly one in-dash unit that can play mp3s off of a DVD.

GM's stereos can already play MP3 CD's. DVD's can't be too far behind. Personally, I'd rather see a generic input jack. That lets me hook up anything I want. I don't own an iPod, just a generic MP3 player, so what good would iPod integration do me?

A generic input jack is also good if you want to play a cassette tape (some people still have lots of them) with a walkman or if you want the satellite radio service your vehicle's automaker doesn't offer (in this case it would be Sirius).

I want a generic input jack almost as much as I want the radio hole to be a standard rectangular DIN slot like all the aftermarkets use.

I suspect dealers like this proprietary radio horse hockey though so they can sell IPod accessories and sirius subscriptions. The theftlock radios are another goldmine: whenever a battery is disconnected without a code (usually on an unsuspecting 2nd owner) there's $40 for 5 minutes spent unlocking it.
mad.gif

Ford tauruses with the round radio bubble with built-in heater controls are the worst offenders though.

The convenience of something like an iPod goes beyond having "9GB of songs"
With an iPod, I have playlists based on any number of criteria, a DVD won't let you do that.

My SCION has a generic input as well as an iPod connection to the HU. Both are nicely integrated into the center console and wires hidden from site, unlike the Solstice which has a jack on the faceplate only.

Reality is that millions of people own/use iPods. Just because some of you don't have/like one doesn't make it a stupid option.

As for wanting to hookup a cassette player, LMAO.

Scott

The MP3 DVD thing got me thinking, so I checked Cadillac's web site. The DVD changer in the STS can play certain DVD+R and -R discs, as well as an impressive array of CD and DVD formats, but it states that it won't play MP3 DVDs. Given this, and given that it will already play MP3 CD's, MP3 DVDs can't be too far off.

Also, I disagree about mfgrs using the standard DIN slot. That format is too small. Besides, GM and Chrysler have been using the same 1.5 DIN format for years. Why doesn't the aftermarket support that more? There are a few choices available, but not much.

Also, I know this isn't true for all makers (Honda for example), but my GM car won't lose it's radio ID code if the battery is disconnected. That feature only comes into play if you try to hook up the radio to a car with a different VIN.

quote:

With an iPod, I have playlists based on any number of criteria, a DVD won't let you do that.

If I remember correctly, my old Clarion in-dash mp3 CD player supported playlist files.

quote:

As for wanting to hookup a cassette player, LMAO.

Not everybody's as hip, hop, and totally happening as you, Scott..

quote:

Given this, and given that it will already play MP3 CD's, MP3 DVDs can't be too far off.

A firmware upgrade might be all that it needs. But, let me be clear, what I was suggesting is that the feature be added to current mp3-CD player designs, even without adding the additional DVD video capabilities (which should save on licensing costs and royalty payments, in addition to hardware costs).

As far as radio codes, I have no idea why they even bother to put them into factory radios. They're not high-theft items.

It will be really interesting to see if these two new roadsters go the way of the Fiero. Early Fiero's looked great, but the 2.5 I-4 had a poor cooling system, so the car overheated and caught fire. Then they put in the 2.8 V-6, fixed the cooling system, and they became a great little sports car. But just as they got it right, GM axed the car. Most people agree this was a huge mistake on GM's part, in hindsight. It will be interesting to see if GM sticks with this one, if it sells well.

Me, I personally prefer the Sky...the Solstice is a bit too snub-nosed for me in front. I think if you glance at the Sky, you can see a Mercedes 2-seat roadster....pretty sharp!

Yes, some MP3 CD players let you use a folder hierarchy, but I'm not sure about playlists in the sense I'm used to them.
Besides, if you wanted to update the CD/DVD (assuming it can do playlists) you'd have to burn new disks.

All personal preference, I get that.
And sorry Brian, you want a car to be modern, yet want to play cassettes? Seriously, CDs came out ~1982, haven't you upgraded yet?

Scott

Burning new disks isn't that big of a deal..a 16X dual-layer DVD can be burned in 15 minutes or so.

As far as cassette tapes, I know of two people who recently bought cars who still wanted the ability to play cassette tapes. One of them ended up replacing the factory radio with one that has an aux-input..the other used the aux-input she didn't know was on her car until I found it for her (then we went to wally-world to get a cable for it).

Books on tape, in particular, are still often on cassette tapes. (Hmm, that sounds kinda redundant..)

quote:

I think this will help GM a lot.

I don't know. I don't think anyone is conditioned to look toward GM for such para-exotic offerings. It's kinda like if BMW offered a working class econobox ...would anyone buy it
confused.gif
If these masterpieces can't shed the association with the boring lingering stench of mediocrity that their kin seem to bathe in ...then they'll have short lives.

Just how well does Detroit do Dueschland?? I see Audi/BMW all over those images. I hope that they aren't just wannabees (OTOH, I would balk at paying anywhere near Dueschland $$$ for Detroit's interpretations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back