Found an Explorer I used to own

I was heading to the local Tractor Supply store this morning and I saw a Black Eddie Bauer Explorer in the parking lot that caught my eye. As I passed by the first time I noticed the rims and thought maybe it might be the one I used to own. As you can see in the picture, it has rims from a 90s Mercury Mountaineer. My father-in-law gave me the wheels with new Michelin tires from his MM because he was going to get rid of it. I traded that vehicle in a decade ago and like most vehicles I thought I would never see it again… it’s definitely the one…

Made me wonder if any of you have seen an old vehicle you got rid of?

Attachments

• 20230812_102201.jpeg
    20230812_102201.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 108
sold my 84 impala (218K) for $200 to a woman of little means; I told her it would not let her down; i saw it years later driving around town; more rust but it still had the index card sized ANG sticker on the back.

I did a search and found my old Jaguar. It has seen better days unfortunately.

In its former glory. I verified the VIN, but on top of that you can see the custom Coventry Whitley 18" wheels I put on it. The reason why the suspension isn't collapsed in the salvage photos is because I replaced the 4 corner air suspension with non-height adjustable coilovers tuned to S-Type R springrates.
IMG-6094.jpg

We had an 87 Caprice Estate wagon for many years. Finally sold it and several years later came out from work to find it parked near me. Kind of got a kick out of seeing it.

Also saw the Lumina we owned for 14 years go by about a month or two after we sold it to Carmax but I’ve never seen it since.

We had an 87 Caprice Estate wagon for many years. Finally sold it and several years later came out from work to find it parked near me. Kind of got a kick out of seeing it.

Also saw the Lumina we owned for 14 years go by about a month or two after we sold it to Carmax but I’ve never seen it since.
Luminas, Berettas, first year neons, and Cavaliers seem to have gone extinct. I never see these out driving. Those and Honda crx and del sols.

Luminas, Berettas, first year neons, and Cavaliers seem to have gone extinct. I never see these out driving. Those and Honda crx and del sols.
I just saw a Del Sol yesterday for sale in town. I haven't seen one for years. It's a little rough but if I had a place to put it I'd look into it. I had a friend that unfortunately died flipping one into a field shortly after highschool and my cousin had a heavily modified one with a B18 swap when we were still in high school. I love those cars.

Many times!

97 Olds Silhouette, sold on CL, saw later on CL
96 Olds Ciera, same
93 Cavalier, no rear defroster, brought up from NC, saw in Lewiston ME
94 Mazda B4000, saw in junkyard-- the best junkyard in the entire state, in fact.
94 Dodge Dakota, junked due to junk frame, saw on CL, called the authorities on that one.
95 Saturn SW1, owned for 11 years, sold for $300 less than I paid for it, saw it in Walmart parking lot, full of stuff like someone was living in it.
95 Saturn, kinda grungy looking, saw it on the road out by the airport.
91 Volvo, dented door, only had one stud on the license plate bracket, saw the new owner and their dogs happily tooting around with the plate hanging crooked.
05 Prius, first prius of mine, used a drywall screw to stick the bumper cover back home. Saw it on FBM a couple years later. I broke 300k on it, odometer stopped then, someone else kept on trucking. Could tell it was mine by the screw and the single Pontiac Sunfire rim, LOL.

It's a small state. At some point I'm gonna get punched. 😗

I was heading to the local Tractor Supply store this morning and I saw a Black Eddie Bauer Explorer in the parking lot that caught my eye. As I passed by the first time I noticed the rims and thought maybe it might be the one I used to own. As you can see in the picture, it has rims from a 90s Mercury Mountaineer. My father-in-law gave me the wheels with new Michelin tires from his MM because he was going to get rid of it. I traded that vehicle in a decade ago and like most vehicles I thought I would never see it again… it’s definitely the one…

Looks like it may have been abandoned. Hood is ajar with a flat tire. I wonder if it's still up there? Maybe check it out if you get the chance.

The wheels would fit my Ranger....ha-ha..

The '66 Chrysler Newport which was arguably my first car was smiling at me from the top of a 4 car pile in a junk yard from the past.
There was no mistaking the repaint grey.

Wifey's (2nd owner) 2002 Saab which the buyers nagged us to part with, was sighted at the Walmart after "the boy" sold it. He loved the car but banged it up pretty well using it as a truck. He was good. The 4th owner drove it into the ground.

Friend's "Best in the County" (no BS) '72 'Vette (conv. w/AC, 1 of 56 made) was sighted with bald tires and a hanging exhaust element.

Friend's '85 Subaru GL was seen by PO as a shaky, rusted skeleton driving about Tampa.

Is it abandoned? Get a duplicate title and sell it again. 😈

It still has the license plate on it... Not sure that means it hasn't been abandoned though

Attachments

• 20230812_102210.jpg
    20230812_102210.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 44
I saw my '97 Camry a few times on the same stretch of road when I was in college.

My dad had a nice '93 GMC pickup that was customized that he sold in 2006 when I was 12. Saw it while I was passing down the road in 2013 at an auction, it had been T-Boned.

His next truck was an '04 2500HD Duramax that he sold in 2012 and I was right next to it in traffic in 2016.

I saw two. I had a '93 Bronco that I traded in '96. Saw it several times at a post office about 8 miles from me. Also my wife had a '96 Thunderbird that was traded in '99. I saw it 7 or 8 years later about 100 miles from us. I knew it was hers because she hit something with the right fender. I did a horrible job touching up with a spray can. That same ugly repair was still there

Don

Yes, I saw my old 2002 Expedition for years after we got rid of it (with over 200,000 miles on it), and it was being DD'd in from quite a ways away, so I'm sure he was well past 400,000km on it when I stopped seeing it because the place he worked at moved. Not sure if he still has it.

Back