I turned 48 today, at what age did you start to feel old?

I’m 19 don’t feel that yet and hopefully not for awhile. Only time I do is when my back starts to kill me after lifting those big 20 and 22 inch tires helping out the other guys. Shop is too cheap to buy us a tire lift and I’m not trying to lose my back before I’m 30 either. My knees kill me sometimes too but they haven’t as much here recently when I started sitting down during our down time which has been a lot here recently.

I distinctly remember a time (I was probably 6 or 7) when I was running around and playing and thinking along the lines of, "Why do I feel so tired right now? It seems like it's so much harder for my body to run around than it used to be." It's only gotten worse over time. :)

Once I got into my 40s, things started to deteriorate... various aches, upset stomach (gotta be more careful what you eat), less energy, harder to maintain muscle.

When your children are talking about getting social security. When you compare high school year book pictures and the latest alumni party pictures and see those young men men and women look like c… now. All those best looking girls in HS, omg is all I could say.

Mid 30s was a big turning point for me. Problems came up I thought were for old people, had to quit smoking and drinking. I lived a lot of years worth in my early 20s during college. I may have used up a good amount of liffetime there.

70 now. At 57, I hadn't seen a doctor in 15 yrs, Then pneumonia put me into the hospital for 4 days, Yr after that came breast cancer, Knocked that back for 12 yrs until it returned. Currently in a 3hr a week course of cardiac re-hab, to work on my COPD and arteries. I could have avoided all this BS if I had never taken up smoking at the ripe old age of 6.
Sorry for your ills. Hope you can get better over time.

I'm turning 39 in March and certainly not looking forward to the subsequent big 4-0. But I'd rather be alive and racking up years than the alternative! I feel some wisdom sinking in for sure, not sure about the old age just yet. The number sure scares me though. I'm still full of energy (never been a sedentary type of person), but my knack for partying and putting up with hangovers and the like has gone down the tubes for sure. Having four kids probably helped that some. I still do things that older people always warn me not to (lifting too much, jumping off trailers, etc), but fortunately all the bones and muscles are still holding up well. Now that my 2 oldest are into their teen years, I put the shovel/hammer/etc in their hands now for work around the house-- it's a challenge though, because I can do the work 10x faster, but they don't learn anything that way...

I think I started FEELING old around 70. Now I am 78 and KNOW I am old. Everything hurts.

60 was bad...mentally.. I got over it. I am now 75. I gave too much blood about 8 months ago. My red blood counts have been very low. They are now close to normal. To rule out bad things out I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I had a colonoscopy 6 years ago and blood test in stools have proven negative. In the last year I need a daily nap..or just lay down for 45 minutes. I just can not do hard work any more. I am very healthy otherwise. Exercise daily. Its a long slow process aging

I am 73. I replaced the brake pads on all 4 corners of my truck a couple of days ago and also pugged a nail hole I found in a tire. I almost didn't have the strength to push the plug in the tire. I had to go slow (took about 5 hours from jacking the truck up to backing it out of the garage. It left me with a stiff back and shoulders. Had to take a couple of Tylenol and was wiped out the next day. As I often say, it isn't getting down to work on the truck that is hard, it's the getting up that's hard. The day will come when I can't do my own work any more but I'm trying to fight it as long as I can.

But to answer the question, I started to really feel it around age 50.

I don't "feel" old, but sometimes my back and eyes disagree.

Yeah, I'm much the same. But it's nothing that a pair of glasses, and a couple Tylenol won't fix. When you start needing Depends and wheelchairs are when the real problems start. Hopefully I'm still a ways away from those delightful necessities...... Always remember the flip side of getting old, is dying young.

Sorry for your ills. Hope you can get better over time.
Don't be sorry. COPD and obstructed arteries don't get better. My troubles are the result my own stupidity. Somebody stole my favorite line on aging " if I had known..."
My father died at 87 from a fall. Mum made it just barely to 100, but was chairbound the last 5 yrs from osteoporosis. She had a lot of pain, but was sharp up to the end. I don't want to linger :cool:

For me it was when I turned 42. After breakfast I got up from a chair and had a burning sensation in my lower back. As the day went on it got worse and worse. After putting up with it for a few days I went to a doctor and found out I had a blown out disc. Went through surgery and my back has never been the same . Busted the same disc 2 years later. It has all been down hill since then.
Same thing here at 39. Emergency surgery early this year on the lower back after I couldn’t stand or walk. Not sure what I did but it came on instantly. It’s been 10 months and I’m aware of my lower back pain at all times and conscious of how I move/lift/bend. The surgeon said this might just be my new normal. I hate it. I’ve gotten weaker just due to the surgery recovery and limited activity. I’d like to get back to mountain biking but am giving it some more time.

Last edited:
I've been ill since age 33, but as an avid bicyclist and then gym guy, I felt pretty good, or normal until about 52. At which point things went bad fast. I only get a few good days here and there. I'm very fortunate, I have no significant pain other than normal wear and tear. I truly feel for those of you who have chronic pain, I've had a few severe crashes/broken bones (motocross/enduro/bicycling) and can't imagine that kind of agony long term.

My issues are autoimmune, RNP and Thyroid antibodies (MCTD and Hashimoto's). Not much left of me now. Some days, I can't get up from a chair, ugh.

And probably the most interesting chart that exists:

I’m 19 don’t feel that yet and hopefully not for awhile. Only time I do is when my back starts to kill me after lifting those big 20 and 22 inch tires helping out the other guys. Shop is too cheap to buy us a tire lift and I’m not trying to lose my back before I’m 30 either. My knees kill me sometimes too but they haven’t as much here recently when I started sitting down during our down time which has been a lot here recently.
For your back, start doing some weight training to strengthen it up. Bike riding will strengthen up your knees.

Start young and maintain is always my advice(y)

For your back, start doing some weight training to strengthen it up. Bike riding will strengthen up your knees.

Start young and maintain is always my advice(y)
Man I haven’t rode a bike since I was probably 12 haha. I have a full size bike I got for my 10th birthday. It’s far too cold to ride a bike now lol. And my street has been taken over with kids riding theirs.

Back