I turned 48 today, at what age did you start to feel old?

There’s a number of significant events that make a person feel old.

1. The Playboy models are younger than you.
2. The bars don’t bother to card you.
3. Someone calls you sir.
4. Some young thing asks if you know her dad.
5. Your favourite rock stars and athletes are passing away.
6. A cashier asks if you would like the seniors discount.

It’s all attitude. ;)
Oh so TRUE! :D

The doctors and lawyers that my wife works with say the first 50 years are free. I made it until 53 or thereabouts. Various health issues, enlarged prostate, eye stroke, cytoscopy, urogram, and other such screening tests. Doctors asking me if there is anything they can do for me; is there anything that I need. wink wink. I thought they meant medical marijuana. LOL. Back pain, loss of distance on the golf course, driving at night in the rain is a real chore now, alcohol tolerance is way down, alcoholic gastritis...

I'll be 47 in a couple weeks and feel ok, but my eyesight, which was never a problem has really tanked in the last 3 years. Small stuff up close? Forget it. Thankfully I can get by with the cheap readers, but it still kinda sucks.

My distance vision is perfect, but close up - where are my glasses???

Mind is OK, but wife says I forget stuff. hahahahhha yeah, same as always...........

Stay active is the key. As stated, I feel great. Coming up on my first full year of retirement and life is GREAT.

Hike, bike, explore, learn. Oh and they never ask me about the senior discount, I have to ask and show ID!

Ha!

oilBabe will admit I'm the collective memory of the marriage.

Regarding vision, I wish I'd discovered monovision earlier. I've always been nearsighted, so presbyopia was a problem with my glasses or contact lenses. When wearing glasses, I could simply remove them and see things up close. With contacts, it was reading glasses.

I tried a Christmas break without my left (non-dominant eye) contact lense and adapted well, being able to do close up work such as read, while retaining distance vision. At my beginning of the year optometrist visit, I was prescribed a weaker lens for my left eye to retain both close and some level of distance vision. So I'm making presbyopia work for me :)

I recall my 35th HS reunion some years ago and so many of my peers looked like they could be my parent's generation instead of my age.

Adding on to the stay active, planning a Katy Trail bike ride in the next 3 years. (About 240 miles of crushed limestone from Clinton, MO to St Charles, MO over the course of 5 days) and perhaps an attempt at climbing the Road to the Sun at Glacier NP.

Honestly, although a lot more effects were showing up as I got older, I did not really feel "old" until I was 67. I am 68 now. I realized in May, because I did it, that the one day hikes to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back are all over. I have never had quite the same endurance or anything else since having Covid in December 2019.

I feel ok for a guy in his sixties , but knowing that most of the male members of my family only lived to their eighties makes you think . I look at things differently now than I did even five years ago . I've thinned out my gun collection substantially . I've been looking for a buyer for my coin collection . Sold some tools , etc. I never saw a hearse with a cargo trailer behind it . No point leaving this stuff for other people to deal with .

I just turned 48. I don't feel physically old, per se. Two years ago, I had a fusion done on my neck to rid me of bone spurs slicing into my spinal column. I feel more capable than before the surgery. I have done harder physical work and some good, hard hiking the past couple of years, more so than the years just before the surgery.
The thing that makes me feel mentally old is the work stress, family stress, and people stress that have come upon me/us in the past couple of years with 2020-2021 being the most asinine. I am >>THIS<< close to shutting out people and coworkers from my life if "they" make one more stupid decision that negatively affects those around them.

64 here and I actually feel better than I have in a few years. Six months ago I had a bad A1C test so I decided get serious and cut carbs and start walking in the mornings. I was struggling to get in to 42 inch waist jeans then but I just ordered some new jeans with 40 inch waist. The bad thing is I'm getting shorter, had to send the 32 inch inseam back for a 30 inch inseam.

My back has bothered me since I turned 38 when they figured out I had a herniated L5 but I kept laying block for another 5 years until I herniated a disc in my neck which has had a bad effect on my left ulnar nerve and has caused atrophy in my hand so it's a lot weaker for gripping things like opening jars etc. I opted to not have surgery and rely on my Chiropractor which has worked out well for me all these years.

I agree with @Snagglefoot, a lot of it has to do with attitude. Sure I wake up sounding like a bowl of snap crackle pop but I figure I can either lay back down or get up and get after it.

Last edited:
I turn 40 this year and I hate everything about it. I hate that my body hurts in places it never did before and that I keep discovering new things every year that it doesn't want to do like it used to. :rolleyes:

36 or 37. I was driving home and the "Classic " rock station played Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and then Black Hole Sun by soundgarden.

our health or not varies a lot on many things as well as the "cards" we were dealt! that said theres lots we can do for ourselves + today theres more info than ever on that!! myself prolly lucky from an overweight kid eating tooooo much especially carbs i got better thru having physical jobs + trimming down + eating better than ever, taking some nutritional supplements as well as hormone replacement has done well for me at 73 YO, surely not like years ago but above average IMO!!

Oh so TRUE! :D
Sixty four. Yet around age sixty two everyone I was introduced to all started calling me Mr Sammy! Then everyone started to hang back and hold the doors open for me at the gas stations etc... I guess when you walk crooked and they can hear your knees and ankles "snap , crackle and pop!"
you can't hide it.

Back