I think I've found where all the PU is going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Walmarts in central Ohio are putting all PU on clearance (score $5 a quart!), I found these gems perfectly stocked back home in northern Ohio.

Photo%20Mar%2030%2C%201%2001%2042%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2030%2C%201%2001%2036%20PM.jpg

This specific Walmart has recently seen an expansion in its oil offerings, swapping out G-Oil for Royal Purple, and widening their 0w20 brands. Pretty nice!

looks like they have the same price on the Ultra as my local wallywrolds. not sure that all stores are getting rid of Ultra maybe just certain ones are deciding not to carry it anymore ?

Not a bottle of 0w40 even at one that well-stocked, I see (see the 'difference between PP and PU' thread for my search for PU 0w40 for my SRT). Oh well. I HATE setting foot in Wal Mart to buy oil- nothing political, its just such a hassle to park and deal with the scrums of people that pack the stores. But they do have good prices on oil, when they have it. I nabbed 2 5-quart jugs of M1 0w40 (which they didn't used to have, either) for $29 each. The parts stores get $38 to $39 for a 5-quart jug. Guess I'll just have to brave it a couple of times a year for a $2/quart savings.

FWIW- when I DID find PU 0w40 (both online and at the Dodge dealer) they get $10/quart for it! Guess that's the law of (no) supply and demand...

What area of northern Ohio are you referring to? I am in Toledo right now but there are so many stores around the area. Thanks.

I was stoked to see shelf space for PP 0w20 at the WM by me. However, Ultra is gone. They also had Synpower 0w20.

No matter how you look at it,PU sales are going to suffer with certain WMs ousting it.That cant bode well for the future of the product.Rather than paying outrageous amounts elsewhere for it,I would go with PP or even ST synthetic instead.Nonetheless,Pennzoil is the ultimate loser in this whole deal.

I seen know signs of Pennzoil Ultra leaving the greater Toledo shelves, in fact I have now seen 0W40 Pennzoil European formula on the shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spk2000
What area of northern Ohio are you referring to? I am in Toledo right now but there are so many stores around the area. Thanks.

Go to Holland Ohio Walmart, they have a pretty good selection of oil there, it's in the greater Toledo Area. Perrysburg Walmart has Pennzoil Ultra on the Shelves.

Your Walmart's oil section (and rest of store, probably) are EXTREMELY organized!

All of the WalMarts around here just have oil jugs here and there ... it's a pain to see what the price is.

My local Wal Mart's in Utah stopped carrying Pennzoil Ultra. I have been buying it there for the last two years due to my local O'Reilley, Auto Zone and Napa stores never did stock Pennzoil Ultra.

Most people were not willing to spend the extra $5.00 for Ultra over Pennzoil Platinum. Many of the Wal Mart stores simply want a product that sells better on that shelf space. Most people are not aware of how good Ultra is over the other Pennzoil oil offerings. The Pennzoil marketing was good, but that did not get it into all the auto parts stores. Most people are not on here researching motor oils...

Think about the name Pennzoil Platinum. That name suggests it is the superior product in many people's minds who have not researched oil at all. It is a great brand name which carries over from the jewelry industry trying to convince people that platinum is the best.

Last edited:
I wish Sopus would get rid of the Platinum since Qsud is pretty much it's equal anyway. Then they could have Ultra as the premium synthetic under the Pennzoil name and QSUD as a synthetic for a competitive price. Then I could actually find Ultra! I am far from a market analyst though. I am sure they will just do whatever makes them the most money.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I wish Sopus would get rid of the Platinum since Qsud is pretty much it's equal anyway. Then they could have Ultra as the premium synthetic under the Pennzoil name and QSUD as a synthetic for a competitive price. Then I could actually find Ultra! I am far from a market analyst though. I am sure they will just do whatever makes them the most money.

This whole fiasco with PU does make me wonder how Castrol Edge Ti is doing, since it was priced the same as PU and regular Castrol Edge was priced to compete with PP(until the price rollback, PP and Edge were priced the same). A few WM's red tagged them, but it seems like most are keeping them.

I thought when Ultra came out that it should have just been "the next" Platinum. Having two so similarly marketed is confusing to the average consumer.

Originally Posted By: Topo
I seen know signs of Pennzoil Ultra leaving the greater Toledo shelves, in fact I have now seen 0W40 Pennzoil European formula on the shelves.

My local WM just started carrying European formula 0W40 in M1.

PU is only sold in the qt. bottles at my local WM.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I thought when Ultra came out that it should have just been "the next" Platinum. Having two so similarly marketed is confusing to the average consumer.

I think your right! And this is what is killing it.

Originally Posted By: termigator
This whole fiasco with PU does make me wonder how Castrol Edge Ti is doing, since it was priced the same as PU and regular Castrol Edge was priced to compete with PP(until the price rollback, PP and Edge were priced the same). A few WM's red tagged them, but it seems like most are keeping them.
This same Walmart has also red-tagged Castrol Edge Ti, and is now only carrying Castrol Edge.

I just found PU at my local Walmart on a clearance cart. $21 for the 5 qt jug. I bought all they had. Why are they clearing house of PU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back