I think I've found where all the PU is going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mnm567
I just found PU at my local Walmart on a clearance cart. $21 for the 5 qt jug. I bought all they had. Why are they clearing house of PU?

I wish we knew for sure. But my guess would be sales. Although every time I went for oil they were low in stock.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
While Walmarts in central Ohio are putting all PU on clearance (score $5 a quart!), I found these gems perfectly stocked back home in northern Ohio.

Photo%20Mar%2030%2C%201%2001%2042%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2030%2C%201%2001%2036%20PM.jpg

This specific Walmart has recently seen an expansion in its oil offerings, swapping out G-Oil for Royal Purple, and widening their 0w20 brands. Pretty nice!

So jealous of you guys and your cheap oil! For a decent synthetic I'm up for at least $50 for a 1.25 Gallon/ 5L bottle!
frown.gif

Last edited:
My opinion is that the public thinks that Platinum is a better sounding label for oil than Ultra, and that they are buying the Platinum because it sounds more prestige and costs less.

Lower sales of the Ultra brand have forced Walmart to move on with high moving products.

Pennzoil should have reversed the labels and put the Platinum name on their higher quality oil.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I wondered if the OP had uncovered a government conspiracy that the Feds were buying up all of the nation's supply of PU so, otherwise, law abiding citizens couldn't get their hands on it.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Moab
Think about the name Pennzoil Platinum. That name suggests it is the superior product in many people's minds who have not researched oil at all. It is a great brand name which carries over from the jewelry industry trying to convince people that platinum is the best.

I agree!

Too bad the public thinks that Platinum is a better sounding label for oil than Ultra, and that they are buying the Platinum because it sounds more prestige and costs less.

Lower sales of the Ultra brand have forced Walmart to move on with high moving products.

Pennzoil should have reversed the labels and put the Platinum name on their higher quality oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back