I QUIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given up my oil experimenting ways. I am now a Valvoline man. My 03 Dodge Durango has 68,000 on it and I just signed it up for the new "engine guarantee" and I'm using the Durablend 225,000 mile warranty.

Looks like a great warranty; I'm now a Valvoline man! Has anyone else joined the "valvoline band-wagon"?

Read the "guarantee" very carefully and you will see they cover nothing. (Guarantee Info)

I would use a quality synthetic oil, change it at a reasonable interval that is longer than the Valvoline interval and bank the difference.

The difference you bank will give you a slush-fund to buy a new engine should your existing one take a dump and if not then you have a down payment on your next vehicle!

The Ashland "Guarantee" is marketing hoop-la that will never pay out, so pay yourself first!
wink.gif

Me,I get soooooooo bored using the same oil all the time :^P I was looking at all my half quarts last night,contemplating my next oci at the end of the summer. Will it be:

Mobil 1 15W50
Pennzoil yb 20W50
Valvoline wb 20W50
Valvoline VR1 20W50
Royal Purple 20W50 (street version)

Originally Posted By: ez_livin
I have given up my oil experimenting ways. I am now a Valvoline man. My 03 Dodge Durango has 68,000 on it and I just signed it up for the new "engine guarantee" and I'm using the Durablend 225,000 mile warranty.

Looks like a great warranty; I'm now a Valvoline man! Has anyone else joined the "valvoline band-wagon"?

Never.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,I get soooooooo bored using the same oil all the time :^P I was looking at all my half quarts last night,contemplating my next oci at the end of the summer. Will it be:

Mobil 1 15W50
Pennzoil yb 20W50
Valvoline wb 20W50
Valvoline VR1 20W50

I finally got you straightened out on your gear oil, now listen up, use the Mobil 1 15W-50.
grin2.gif

Me,I get soooooooo bored using the same oil all the time :^P I was looking at all my half quarts last night,contemplating my next oci at the end of the summer.

Those half quarts are mental friction to your hobby. Use them to top off friends' and familys' oil (the ones that won't chk their oil till the next Jiffy Lube run), and/or dump them all at once in your sump for a short OCI. I find it mentally cleansing to only have oil on the shelf that has an immediate or semi-immediate use. To each their own though.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Johnny: he believes in the product his company sells.

I hate it when a guy works for a company and then refuses to use or purchase their product.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Read the "guarantee" very carefully and you will see they cover nothing. (Guarantee Info)

I would use a quality synthetic oil, change it at a reasonable interval that is longer than the Valvoline interval and bank the difference.

The difference you bank will give you a slush-fund to buy a new engine should your existing one take a dump and if not then you have a down payment on your next vehicle!

The Ashland "Guarantee" is marketing hoop-la that will never pay out, so pay yourself first!
wink.gif

He is 100% correct.

I think Quaker State had this same thing back in the 1980's or early 1990's.

This warranty is a joke.

Mobil 1 15W50
Pennzoil yb 20W50
Valvoline wb 20W50
Valvoline VR1 20W50

I know that feeling way to well. I love the ACD I've been using forever and I feel it fits my needs perfectly but I've been fighting off the temptation to try Redline for quite some time out of sheer boredom.

Any company could offer this warranty and be safe.

1. Most people would slip up on the requirements.

2. Oil related failures are very rare.

Several motor oil companies have similar warranties. Pennzoil has it for 300k regardless of what oil Pennzoil brand oil you use (so you get the full 300k even if you use conventional YB). Quaker State has a 250k mile warranty if I remember correctly. Havoline has one, but I don't think it covers DIY'ers, and there's another one I know I'm forgetting.

M1 has it, and I'm too lazy to look this up so please check out their website, but I believe they cover you any time you have M1 in your engine as long as you've been following the correct OCI and maintenance schedule.

Valvoline's warranty is nice b/c you can sign up for it up to 75k miles on the vehicle, I believe most of the others require less then 30k miles on the clock. Though Valvoline's "warranty" only covers you for 150k miles on conventional, and it's a bit of waste to go for the 300k mile warranty with synthetic b/c to maintain that you have to change it out every 4k miles (3k miles plus a 1k mile grace period they give you).

As much as I love finding what works best for me and my needs, I don't get bored sticking with it once I've identified what's best for me. I some what recently purchased a new car and am in the process of figuring out which oil works best with it, once I figure that out I'll stick with it. I have an old beater SUV, that car I don't mind changing brands and experimenting with

I have a lot of respect for guys like Johnny: he believes in the product his company sells.

I hate it when a guy works for a company and then refuses to use or purchase their product.

I agree. Props to you Johnny.

My favorite part under things not covered is this:

"defect attributable to the vehicle manufacturer"

Uh, wouldn't that include pretty much everything?

John

What flavor is the Koolaid?
whistle.gif

The pennzoil and Quaker State are similar 300,000 mile, 10 year, transferable warranties (same parent company) and they require 4,000 mile maximum OCI.

If you change the oil this frequently the car should not have any oil related problems but it is still piece of mind and should have some significant value when you go to sell the vehicle.

I would be impressed and willing to pay a bit more for a used car if I was looking at a used vehicle that had been looked after like this and still had a transferable oil warranty.

The Valvoline warranty is not transferable.

Originally Posted By: mva
The pennzoil and Quaker State are similar 300,000 mile, 10 year, transferable warranties (same parent company) and they require 4,000 mile maximum OCI.

If you change the oil this frequently the car should not have any oil related problems but it is still piece of mind and should have some significant value when you go to sell the vehicle.

I would be impressed and willing to pay a bit more for a used car if I was looking at a used vehicle that had been looked after like this and still had a transferable oil warranty.

The Valvoline warranty is not transferable.

I never paid much attention to the different oil companys' warrantys,figuring practicing proper oci's is the best medicine. But now that you mention it the QS/Pennz warranty is a better warranty then the Vavoline offer...Being transferable, along with the 300k on any blend is pretty good.

Till something else better comes along the way. I myself will always be a multi brand name kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back