Amsoil cold engine tap

So when it gets below freezing, my 2011 Chevy Cruze has a tap noticeable when I accelerate. I recently changed the oil to amsoil 5w30 signature never had used it before. Its never done this with any other brand like Mobil/shell/valvoline either. Any one else experience this with amsoil? Could it be a cruze thing? I'm 2nd owner, engine has 152k.

It can happen when switching oils. I don't know the reason. Happens with all brands it seems here and there. You probably read more about noise and Mobil 1 simply because it outsells all other synthetics by quite a large margin. I would just stay with it for a while.

The true synthetic AMSoil is likely 10cSt thinner at 0degC than what you have been using,
also grp III and PAO have poor traction and don't tend to hold an hourglass shape of lubricant when the tappets or rockers lash open.

Thinking the Cruze engine would have HLA though. Is it the one point eight or the turbo one dot 4?

This super high detergent LL Oil is in a cleaning phase also I would give it time - not the oils fault for sure

Also Filter? Find Fram's rackety on most applications. Pulled a few XG early on a few apps due to racket that was corrected with a different filter.

Or this is completely unrelated. A 12-13 year old car with over 150,000 miles has developed another problem over the summer, a problem that has nothing to do with the oil. For example: A tensioner gone bad, a lifter that collapsed, an exhaust manifold gasket that failed. Figure out where the tap is coming from before blaming the oil.

Or this is completely unrelated. A 12-13 year old car with over 150,000 miles has developed another problem over the summer, a problem that has nothing to do with the oil. For example: A tensioner gone bad, a lifter that collapsed, an exhaust manifold gasket that failed. Figure out where the tap is coming from before blaming the oil.
Only mentioned the oil cause that's the only thing that changed. Filter also I guess.

The true synthetic AMSoil is likely 10cSt thinner at 0degC than what you have been using,
also grp III and PAO have poor traction and don't tend to hold an hourglass shape of lubricant when the tappets or rockers lash open.

Thinking the Cruze engine would have HLA though. Is it the one point eight or the turbo one dot 4?

This super high detergent LL Oil is in a cleaning phase also I would give it time - not the oils fault for sure

Also Filter? Find Fram's rackety on most applications. Pulled a few XG early on a few apps due to racket that was corrected with a different filter.
One dot 4 turbo filter is a hengst cartridge type

So when it gets below freezing, my 2011 Chevy Cruze has a tap noticeable when I accelerate. I recently changed the oil to amsoil 5w30 signature never had used it before. Its never done this with any other brand like Mobil/shell/valvoline either. Any one else experience this with amsoil? Could it be a cruze thing? I'm 2nd owner, engine has 152k.
What kind of filter did you use.

This or the filter. It’s not the oil.

Drain but don't dump the amsoil and put something else in that you used before that gave no issue. If it stops doing it then it was the oil just having odd properties, if it keeps doing it then it seems it had a valvetrain problem coincidentally develop right after you changed it. Did you also use a different oil filter?

Only mentioned the oil cause that's the only thing that changed. Filter also I guess.
Well, the seasons changed (winter to summer to winter again), you changed the filter, and, more importantly, the engine aged.

So, while the oil may be the only thing that you changed, there are other things that changed as well. You need to eliminate them as causes before determining that this is the oil. (And it’s not likely to be the oil).

This or the filter. It’s not the oil.

I’m not saying this happens often…

I had changed the oil in the lady’s 98 Camry one time with Super S 5w30 and it was noticeably louder as soon as I started the car right after that… You would have to have been as deaf as all get out not to notice it…. Even my wife noticed the difference.

Took that oil out after just 1400 miles and put Federated Auto parts semi synthetic oil from Warren Distribution in the car… Has soon as I started that car it was way, way, quieter.

With 150K miles and cold weather setting in I'm not surprised. Assuming you used the same brand filter as before you can try this. If you want to rule out the oil switch back to the oil you had before. Put the Amsoil into a clean container not to waste it. If it's Amsoil with a different filter now you have two variables to contend with. In that case I'd leave the Amsoil and swap the filter.

I’m not saying this happens often…

I had changed the oil in the lady’s 98 Camry one time with Super S 5w30 and it was noticeably louder as soon as I started the car right after that… You would have to have been as deaf as all get out not to notice it…. Even my wife noticed the difference.

Took that oil out after just 1400 miles and put Federated Auto parts semi synthetic oil from Warren Distribution in the car… Has soon as I started that car it was way, way, quieter.

As suggested, the OP could try a quick oil change (leave the filter, don‘t change two variables at once) and see what happens.

As suggested, the OP could try a quick oil change (leave the filter, don‘t change two variables at once) and see what happens.

That’s what I did with my lady’s 98 Camry….

Left the oil filter on… Just drained the Super S 5w30. Put in the Federated Auto parts 5w30 made by Warren Distribution in there. Started the car up and it was way, way quieter running.

Helen Keller would’ve noticed the difference in noise level. :LOL:

(first thing I'd try)....
Change the oil filter mpack. Use a different brand. An OEM AC Delco would be at the top of my list.

the cold rating is at 40C which is 104F, real synthetics thicken a lot less in in the cold so should flow better + they thin less as well in the heat a win-win combination!!

One dot 4 turbo filter is a hengst cartridge type
I see it does have stationary hydraulic lash adjusters with finger followers. Wet timing system

Are you confident you assembled the filter properly? Unless loud rapping warmed, I would ignore.

14Tgmhead.jpg

Back