I presume this oil is OK to use in a wet clutch motorcycle

I have some M1 0W-40 European oil on the shelf. Looking at the back, it would appear to be OK to use in my motorcycles to top off when needed, since not labeled as energy conserving. True?

IMAG1581.jpg

That depends. Harley's of old were pretty sensitive in the clutch department and too much zinc or moly would get them glazed and slipping. I doubt if it would hurt anything at all in a UJM, especially as a makeup oil.

I don't think any xW-40 oil is labled as Energy Conserving because it's a "40" when hot.

That depends. Harley's of old were pretty sensitive in the clutch department and too much zinc or moly would get them glazed and slipping. I doubt if it would hurt anything at all in a UJM, especially as a makeup oil.
What harley's shared primary fluid with engine lube?

You should be fine to use it.
I've ran 15-40/5-40 diesel oils in my wet clutch ATVs for over 20 years without issue.

Don't you want the JASO MA cert for wet clutch applications?

Rotella T6 5w40 for example
1623346935201.jpg

Without the specs for wet clutch applicability mentioned, it is a toss up. Maybe it will be ok, maybe it won't; it wasn't tested for, so there's no telling for sure until you try.

As @ZeeOSix mentioned, I think the energy conserving labeling is restricted to SAE 30 and less so an SAE 40 like that wouldn't have it on the label even if it passed all other energy conserving specs.

The holy trinity of science is 1)Reason 2)Observation 3)Experience...
employing those tools we observe that the primary cause clutch slip
are high mileage... mileage is the constant among all of the clutches
that begin to slip... oil choice whether JASO approved or not is not a
constant... High mileage is the constant where all clutches begin to
loose grip due to normal glazing and contaminates that build up over use..

JASO has register 1,537 oils as of Dec 2019 which covers virtually
everything on the market including 0w oils that would qualify as
Energy Conserving... That is because Energy Conserving is not
additive... its an API mileage test that this "oil MAY result is an
overall saving of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole" there is
nothing in the oil to defeat a wet clutch...

JASO approve list examples...

234 0w30 Energy Release SN 4T Jaso MA
238 0w30 Energy Release SN 4T Jaso MA
242 0w40 Energy Release SN 4T Jaso MA
243 0w40 Energy Release SN 4T Jaso MA2
244 0w50 Energy Release SN 4T Jaso MA2

389 0w30 Honda Ultra G4 Jaso MA
387 0w30 Honda Ultra G4 Jaso MA
401 0w30 Pro Honda HP4 Jaso MA

gallery_3131_51_129667.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you want the JASO MA cert for wet clutch applications?

JALOS does not test oils. They register oils based on manufacturer
data and site. Most of the data is generated by additive package
manufacturers. The system is just for registration. They hate any term
that implies their approval such as “certified by”.

Cost to register one grade of oil from one manufacturing site is
40,000 Japanese Yen or about USD $365.00.

Shell Rotella probably bought their Jaso cert for $365 no testing required...

JASO sets the standard. JALOS has the responsibility for the review
and registration. Once this is done you have the right to use the mark
on your labels. The documents submitted for review include the
technical performance data and label design.

JASO would be valuable if they did test and identify any oil that caused a
new clutch to slip but they don't test and they will not identify submitters...

Quote JASO
"The Panel may disclose the results of market surveys in a manner such
that particular names of submitters and their oil products are not
identifiable."[/QUOTE]

JASO does not test oils. They register oils based on manufacturer
data and site. Most of the data is generated by additive package
manufacturers. The system is just for registration. They hate any term
that implies their approval such as “certified by”.

Cost to register one grade of oil from one manufacturing site is
40,000 Japanese Yen or about USD $365.00.

Shell Rotella probably bought their Jaso cert for $365 no testing required...

JASO sets the standard. JALOS has the responsibility for the review
and registration.
I doubt you can just buy the JASO registration without showing appropriate test data showing that the it meets the JASO test requirements. If anyone could do that then you really don't know if the oil was ever tested to JASO test standards or not.

Shell Rotella may not even formally registered, because their oil jugs don't have the official registration logo like the JASO documentation says it should have if registered as meeting JASO specs. Can't recall if it's a requirement of a recommendation to put the JASO logo on the oil bottles - would have to dig up the documentation. Shell probably just tested the oil against the JASO standards and indicate on the oil jugs that it "meets or exceeds" JASO specs. You'd have to look in the JASO registration list to verify is they formally registered or not.

Last edited:
I doubt you can just buy the JASO registration without showing appropriate test data showing that the it meets the JASO test requirements. If anyone could do that then you really don't know if the oil was ever tested to JASO test standards or not.

Correct, as a submitter, you need to provide the performance test results individually per formula, along with data that they can use to identify unauthorized formula changes if they decide to audit your product.

They don't require the original test reports/affidavits at the time of submission, but submitters need to have that stuff ready in case they do request it. Submitters can also be audited at any time after registration to provide proof of continued compliance. I was never audited when I was maintaining registrations with them, but I know they follow up on non-compliance issues if they discover a problem or are made aware of a problem with a particular product.

Correct, as a submitter, you need to provide the performance test results individually per formula, along with data that they can use to identify unauthorized formula changes if they decide to audit your product.

They don't require the original test reports/affidavits at the time of submission, but submitters need to have that stuff ready in case they do request it. Submitters can also be audited at any time after registration to provide proof of continued compliance. I was never audited when I was maintaining registrations with them, but I know they follow up on non-compliance issues if they discover a problem or are made aware of a problem with a particular product.

As a submitter how did you test the performance of the oil???

Back