I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a bought new 2007 Prius that has lived its life on Redline 5-30 engine oil and D6 trans fluid. Car runs like new and one of the few rare G2's that does not eat oil. It does not eat oil because it has run very high quality oil all its life and no ring clogging.
No sludging no burning. It has the usual amount of oil at the bottom of the intake they all have.

Check out the throttle body last I cleaned it was 50,000 miles ago.

Here's recent pics of its valve train at 160,000 miles. 5K OCI. I use Redline products on all my cars. This is the only oil that can quiet down this Toyota solid lifter motor that sounds like a broken sewing machine. The zdp pack in it really works great as you can see there is no wear whatsoever on the cam journals. Works great fixing hemi motor lifter tick too I hear.
I see the same results on every engine I have used this product on. There gear oil is the best too.

If I could open up the trans it would look just as clean. All the trans has is a fill & dump bolt no filter. Basically a manual trans.

So yes Redline is very worth it.

Careful, the Super tech users will be along here shortly 😂

Engine is CLEAN CLEAN !!!!!!
Redline doing it’s job very well
Redline user here as you may know by now - Love it!

Yes, it's very CLEAN, esters do their job. But is it cleaner than what M1 0W-40 and the others can do? And if it is, does it translate in less engine wear? I really don't know, but the original question was about "worth", and that's subjective - 100%.

I bought a few gallons after buying the Ram, and won't do it again (still have 12qt left), and that's because for my daily routine any of the other stout-Walmart-sold motor oils are good enough. Or perhaps better in terms of long drain . Also, I keep some $ in my pocket.

Once I buy that BMW M3 Competition, I would use nothing but RL in the track :ROFLMAO:

Redline user here as you may know by now - Love it!

Yes, it's very CLEAN, esters do their job. But is it cleaner than what M1 0W-40 and the others can do? And if it is, does it translate in less engine wear? I really don't know, but the original question was about "worth", and that's subjective - 100%.

I bought a few gallons after buying the Ram, and won't do it again (still have 12qt left), and that's because for my daily routine any of the other stout-Walmart-sold motor oils are good enough. Or perhaps better in terms of long drain . Also, I keep some $ in my pocket.

Once I buy that BMW M3 Competition, I would use nothing but RL in the track :ROFLMAO:
I’m a Redline user...and yes I really do like their oil. I’ve tried a few brands in my F250 like
QSUD, RGT
But RL is by far the best oil I’ve used for my truck.
Hey get the BMW soon.....need some track story’s !!👍

His Prius OCI is 5k miles, and considering its hybrid, many of those miles are from electric motor, seems an overkill to run redline.
I feel somewhat the same … our Fusion Hybrid is all I run 10k OCI in … use M1 AP but that was at clearance price.
It does take around 9 months to get there … so I might use EP anyway … just one jug all in.

Prius does not need fancy oil. IMHO
Toyota's in general really, or tbh most cars lol...
Sienna 10K OCI with Supertech.. case in point
1614955820440.png

I've been using Valvoline in my car for the past 1000 miles and no problems, therefore Valvoline is a great oil and Amsoil isn't needed.

maybe if you take your prius to track it could benefit from Redline 😀
People have serious misunderstandings between street/track oils and street oils.
Even on track it is questionable is it better than Mobil1 etc. One thing that Redline offers is more choices for extremely powerful or tuned vehicles as well as same base stock which prevents oil from mixing if using different grade in winter (due to leftovers in oil cooler(s)).

I'm not sure I follow.

Wouldn't one prefer to have their summer & winter grades mix?

People have serious misunderstandings between street/track oils and street oils.
Even on track it is questionable is it better than Mobil1 etc. One thing that Redline offers is more choices for extremely powerful or tuned vehicles as well as same base stock which prevents oil from mixing if using different grade in winter (due to leftovers in oil cooler(s)).

PAO based oil will tolerate better high temperatures on the track than hydro-cracked. This is also assuming additive packs are good in both. I have hard time imagining prius racing....

Well I have a bought new 2007 Prius that has lived its life on Redline 5-30 engine oil and D6 trans fluid. Car runs like new and one of the few rare G2's that does not eat oil. It does not eat oil because it has run very high quality oil all its life and no ring clogging.
No sludging no burning. It has the usual amount of oil at the bottom of the intake they all have.

Check out the throttle body last I cleaned it was 50,000 miles ago.

Here's recent pics of its valve train at 160,000 miles. 5K OCI. I use Redline products on all my cars. This is the only oil that can quiet down this Toyota solid lifter motor that sounds like a broken sewing machine. The zdp pack in it really works great as you can see there is no wear whatsoever on the cam journals. Works great fixing hemi motor lifter tick too I hear.
I see the same results on every engine I have used this product on. There gear oil is the best too.

If I could open up the trans it would look just as clean. All the trans has is a fill & dump bolt no filter. Basically a manual trans.

So yes Redline is very worth it.

TBH people opening up their valve covers to showcase a clean top, is not really showing much as far as oil wear, all it really proves at MOST is a healthy motor and proper oci's.

Pop open the bearing caps to get a look at the bearings, inspect your cylinder walls, etc. To actually get an indication of wear.

PAO based oil will tolerate better high temperatures on the track than hydro-cracked. This is also assuming additive packs are good in both. I have hard time imagining prius racing....
Final product is what matters. And in the case of M1 0W40 I mentioned, it has GTL, PAO and POE.

I'm not sure I follow.

Wouldn't one prefer to have their summer & winter grades mix?
For example, Redline 5W30 and 5W50 use Ester base stocks. Actually, Redline offers same MSDS for all their Performance series oils.
A lot of BMW M3 owners in summer use 10W60 oils (in older M3's) and in winter switch to 0W40 or similar.
Motul for example in Sport line up does not have so many offerings. They offer 5W40 and 5W50 Ester base oils. If one wants to switch to 5W30 in winter, or 0W40, it is completely different oil with different base stocks.

Final product is what matters. And in the case of M1 0W40 I mentioned, it has GTL, PAO and POE.
If its PAO/POE based, than it will provide no less of a protection than Redline. Final product does matter, but in my opinion grp4 base can be formulated to provide better protection for high heat than grp3. We are talking extremes here, the Prius needing any of that is nuts

If its PAO/POE based, than it will provide no less of a protection than Redline. Final product does matter, but in my opinion grp4 base can be formulated to provide better protection for high heat than grp3.
Again, that is why approvals matter. Porsche simulates I think 5 or 8hrs of track time on Nurburgring as one of the tests to issue A40 and C40 approvals. Numerous GrIII oils have this approval.
MB229.5 and MB229.51/52 are probably comprehensively most stringent approvals. Yet, no performance Redline has those approvals. Redline only claims that is is suitable. So, whether Redline produces less wear or not is up in the air.
Redline is discussed a lot among BMW M3 owners with S65 engine that is known for premature wear of rod bearings. No they do not last any longer on Redline than on Castrol, Motul etc. Some claim Redline does better job, but there is no any prof and Redline does not want to approve their oils, bcs. they would not be able to get any approval bcs. oxidation etc.

Maybe redline has an issue in their formulation, its a redline problem, not PAO/POE. Does ravenol have all the approvals? Someone said it does. I bet most M3 engines fail not because of oil, but rather poor reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back