I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Redline Professional is repackaged Kendall.
2. Redline Performance is not suitable for extended OCI's. It has heavy Ester base and that does not fare well when it comes to oxidation.
3. Not having approval is much more than warranty. Approval guarantees oil will perform as expected in OCI that manufacturer recommends. Without approvals there is no guarantee. And considering Redline base stock in their performance series, it will not perform that way. But, Redline does not make performance series for that reason but to offer oil suitable for street/track use.
Not the same as Kendall (a group III/group iv oil) as testing shows. The ester in RED LINE is balanced out by the PAO along with additives balancing the effect on seals. Red Line along with Amsoil have outstanding TBN probably the top along with Pennzoil Ultra. Oil loss is minimized in these oils and is among the best tasted. Oxidation again is balanced out with the additives. And yes I know that Phillips 66 is the parent company of Kendall and Red Line (both are formulated differently as far as Red Line's Performance line is concerned
). Why belittle testing firms like Blackstone or people like Project Farm? They both add to the body of knowledge needed to make a decision on matters like this. Accept or reject as you see fit. Manufactures set a minimal standard of performance while high performance oils like Amsoil and Red Line tend to exceed those standards and thus the higher prices.

Not the same as Kendall (a group III/group iv oil) as testing shows. The ester in RED LINE is balanced out by the PAO along with additives balancing the effect on seals. Red Line along with Amsoil have outstanding TBN probably the top along with Pennzoil Ultra. Oil loss is minimized in these oils and is among the best tasted. Oxidation again is balanced out with the additives. And yes I know that Phillips 66 is the parent company of Kendall and Red Line (both are formulated differently as far as Red Line's Performance line is concerned
). Why belittle testing firms like Blackstone or people like Project Farm? They both add to the body of knowledge needed to make a decision on matters like this. Accept or reject as you see fit. Manufactures set a minimal standard of performance while high performance oils like Amsoil and Red Line tend to exceed those standards and thus the higher prices.
Have you actually read what I wrote? Have you read that I said that Redline Professional is repackaged Kendall? You can go to Kendall web site and redline web site and compare oils.
Oxidation is balanced with additives? Is that why it shows higher oxidation in all tests? Are you actually aware that Redline purposely make such oil? It is not designed to do long OCI bcs. they did not want that, not that they cannot achieve that. No one is undermining work of Blackstone. If you paid any attention you would see subform here that is related to UOA and most people use Blackstone (including me). Project Farm? Not every experiment adds to knowledge. That is why there are set rules for testing. Witchcraft does not add to knowledge base in medical science just bcs. someone burned someone in order to cure others.

Redline Professional = Kendall GT-1 Max = Phillips 66 Valor

You'll see testers on Youtube like Project Farm showing that Amsoil and Red Line do perform better than the others. MactFordEdge actually has tested a number of these with Blackstone and is using Red Line Professional in his 2019 Edge Ecoboost ( Red Line has oils for a daily driver). Not having the approval you mentioned does not mean an oil is unfit for a vehicle though it might cause a warranty conflict. These expensive oils allow for extended drain intervals (I've used both with good results over the last 15 years and no engine problems). I am currently using Kendall's newly formulated GT 1 in a 2008 Sierra with very good results so far (free shipping and less than four dollars a quart from their website this past December. In a Ford Edge Duratec, I am using Red Line Performance Oil (bought on sale for about 10.00 a quart) along with an Amsoil filter. At 5000 miles there is almost no usage. For direct injection engines, it seems like oil testing should be used to determine the life span of either Amsoils or Red Line oils because of dilution.

Please, let’s not go there.

The traditional Red Line has PAO and an Ester component along with the additive package and is most suited for vehicles that are used for track days and not long intervals on the oil changes. The Amsoil is advertised as useful for long OCI's but I don't think there is much Ester in it. The lower costing brands of both Amsoil and Red Line are nothing special and are comparable to maybe Supertech/havoline/Warren et al. I use the Red Line Euro 5W30 and go 10k miles on it for my commuter tdi VW. The rest of my vehicles are now getting M1 ESP as it has the 504/507 specification which I believe is about the best performance to be had in an oil that can be used in many applications.

Here is the SDS for the Red Line Euro, not sure what the 99% non hazardous ingredients are.

Oxidation numbers will seem high with ester-based oils, but that doesn't mean there is an actual issue.... that's my understanding, anyhow. Here's some numbers from a few tests of mine (Red Line 10W-30). 98 is a baseline (VOA) measurement. These oils were tracked and in the car for a year or so, though not many miles.

1614805929874.png

I personally like Amsoil products but in your situation no. Castrol 0w40 for 5k miles then send in an oil sample to see how it's holding up. Fuel dilution is what you want to check primarily so send it to a lab that can reliably do so. Then adjust your oci's accordingly.

Well I have a bought new 2007 Prius that has lived its life on Redline 5-30 engine oil and D6 trans fluid. Car runs like new and one of the few rare G2's that does not eat oil. It does not eat oil because it has run very high quality oil all its life and no ring clogging.
No sludging no burning. It has the usual amount of oil at the bottom of the intake they all have.

Check out the throttle body last I cleaned it was 50,000 miles ago.

Here's recent pics of its valve train at 160,000 miles. 5K OCI. I use Redline products on all my cars. This is the only oil that can quiet down this Toyota solid lifter motor that sounds like a broken sewing machine. The zdp pack in it really works great as you can see there is no wear whatsoever on the cam journals. Works great fixing hemi motor lifter tick too I hear.
I see the same results on every engine I have used this product on. There gear oil is the best too.

If I could open up the trans it would look just as clean. All the trans has is a fill & dump bolt no filter. Basically a manual trans.

So yes Redline is very worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5868.JPG
    IMG_5868.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Well I have a bought new 2007 Prius that has lived its life on Redline 5-30 engine oil and D6 trans fluid. Car runs like new and one of the few rare G2's that does not eat oil. It does not eat oil because it has run very high quality oil all its life and no ring clogging.
No sludging no burning. It has the usual amount of oil at the bottom of the intake they all have.

Here's recent pics of its valve train at 160,000 miles. 5K OCI. I use Redline products on all my cars. This is the only oil that can quiet down this Toyota solid lifter motor that sounds like a broken sewing machine. The zdp pack in it really works great as you can see there is no wear whatsoever on the cam journals. I see the same results on every engine I have used this product on.
There gear oil is the best too.
If I could open up the trans it would look just as clean. All the trans has is a fill & dump bolt no filter. Basically a manual trans.

Good looking top end there. The argument from the other side of the table would be how do you know a $18 bottle of PP wouldn't produce the same exact results? Most would argue that it would.

Maybe it does. People with Prii tend to not change the oil much. I would say using a high quality synthetic motor oil, and at least checking the level gives the ICE portion a better chance of staying clean.
I think that advice applies to all vehicles.

Maybe it does. People with Prii tend to not change the oil much. I would say using a high quality synthetic motor oil, and at least checking the level gives the ICE portion a better chance of staying clean.
No surprises there...they bought Prii.

Here's recent pics of its valve train at 160,000 miles. 5K OCI. I use Redline products on all my cars. This is the only oil that can quiet down this Toyota solid lifter motor that sounds like a broken sewing machine. The zdp pack in it really works great as you can see there is no wear whatsoever on the cam journals. Works great fixing hemi motor lifter tick too I hear.
I see the same results on every engine I have used this product on. There gear oil is the best too.

I am not sure Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, Mobil1 ESP 5W30, would not also quite down those lifters. Redline 5W30 is thick 5W30 oil with HTHS in W40 range.

His Prius OCI is 5k miles, and considering its hybrid, many of those miles are from electric motor, seems an overkill to run redline.

Engine is CLEAN CLEAN !!!!!!
Redline doing it’s job very well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back