I need help understanding if Redline or Amsoil is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're running long drains I'd highly consider Amsoil/Mobil 1. After 30 some thousand posts I still am unsure of Redline, going back and forth. I don't think it is as long drain capable as M1/Amsoil. In fact I know it's not. Won't resist oxidation as well as the other two. If oils aren't subjected to the tests in the video edyvw posted, I'd be a bit hesitant. I've seen great results from UOA's posted with Red Line in some engines, and some that made me wonder if this oil was just formulated in Roy's basement.

What I do when I beat it is dial it back a few gears at a time and give it a little bit more gas. That takes it to under 2k to above 4k, and sometimes above 5k when I go down 3 gears. I don't run it in sport mode long or do that often because it's for short blasts to overtake on the highway or do a fun turn. I don't do whole hours or even a quarter of one at "race speeds" on my car but in a blue moon, so not even once a month. I could do that in my v6s (I had a 2005 CTS and 2016 Accord Sport) and wasn't worried but these TDIs scare me because people just talk poorly about them despite some incredibly fast cars being TDIs and people beat on them!
I am an unapologetic Amsoil user and fan. Yes, I've been on this forum long enough to understand that TDI engines aren't exactly "easy" on oil. I'm surprised that in 3 pages of opinion/discussion no one has suggested UOA nor has the OP stated his "normal" OCI. My two cents worth is that this thread is so far short on facts; although there are plenty of informed opinions (including mine). Personally, I became an Amsoil fanboy when my son was using one of my cars in college and it would sometimes be months and thousands of miles before I even saw the car. I did enough UOA to purchase a good used car and Amsoil went the distance, sometimes 15K at a time. IF the OP is concerned (or wishes to "baby" his engine) by using a "boutique" oil then it is his life, his engine and his money. Amsoil SS lets me sleep at night, regardless of budget haters. Rant over. 🍻;)

I have never used Amsoil or Redline engine oil.
Having said that, if any oil was really beneficial, the major car manufacturers would use it as it would improve their product.
I believe any car maker would love to have the engine reliability reputation of say, Toyota.

I believe those oils are of great quality. I don't use them because they aren't labeled as meeting specifications my cars require. However, if it makes you feel better, then it's worth it to you. It doesn't matter beyond that.

Redline/Amsoil worth it? I haven't seen PROPERLY maintained engines in cars and pick ups wearing out because of the oil choice. Redline and Amsoil are high quality and aren't really that much more expensive and I have tried them both. If you think you will see a benefit give them a try.,

What I do when I beat it is dial it back a few gears at a time and give it a little bit more gas. That takes it to under 2k to above 4k, and sometimes above 5k when I go down 3 gears. I don't run it in sport mode long or do that often because it's for short blasts to overtake on the highway or do a fun turn. I don't do whole hours or even a quarter of one at "race speeds" on my car but in a blue moon, so not even once a month. I could do that in my v6s (I had a 2005 CTS and 2016 Accord Sport) and wasn't worried but these TDIs scare me because people just talk poorly about them despite some incredibly fast cars being TDIs and people beat on them!
Get yourself regular oil, and drive that car bit harder.

I have never used Amsoil or Redline engine oil.
Having said that, if any oil was really beneficial, the major car manufacturers would use it as it would improve their product.
I believe any car maker would love to have the engine reliability reputation of say, Toyota.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no technical evidence that ANY major manufacturer, including Toyota, cares a :poop: how long any car lasts past the warranty period. Yeah, they all want to claim "reliability" yada yada yada. So how long is their warranty? When the warranty ends, you're on your own. How many manufacturers warranties go past 200K? VS how many cars/trucks that are owned/maintained by users on this site have over 200-300K and are reliably on the road? Of course, any oil is better than no oil. I'll stick with my Amsoil, and you can have whatever lets you sleep at night.;)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no technical evidence that ANY major manufacturer, including Toyota, cares a :poop: how long any car lasts past the warranty period. Yeah, they all want to claim "reliability" yada yada yada. So how long is their warranty? When the warranty ends, you're on your own. How many manufacturers warranties go past 200K? VS how many cars/trucks that are owned/maintained by users on this site have over 200-300K and are reliably on the road? Of course, any oil is better than no oil. I'll stick with my Amsoil, and you can have whatever lets you sleep at night.;)
Oh but they do. They really do! Bcs. it is really, really bad strategy to sell car that will last 100k, especially in days of social media. Warranty means they will cover bumper to bumper parts. It is selling point. It is complex machine and they know they will take a hit on parts that will fail just bcs. that is how engineering works. You cannot be 100% sure some part will not have defect out of factory. As time goes, they do not want to take on themselves maintenance. But engine and transmission? You better be sure with regular maintenance they make it last.
I had BMW E61 525d in Europe that racked up 485k km in very short period having one water pump replaced, two thermostats, sets of shocks and thrusts, one suspension overhaul (just bcs. I wanted it to drive as new). Always use Castrol or Shell Helix with BMW LL04 approval. I have there 2004 Land Cruiser that has its own sets of issues, but it is that famous 5 speed transmission that could go now to the moon and back without hiccup.

Actually the only evidence that does exist shows that vehicles last far beyond the warranty period. You have that completely backwards.

And I’ll stick with my Castrol or Mobil 1 from Walmart thanks. It’s gotten me nearly 450k in the Sienna and almost 300k so far in the ECHO and Accord. I sleep fine at night.

It’s funny how many make it sound like it’s an exorbitant amount of money using Amsoil or Redline but probably the same people who spend $10 for a cup of coffee. 😂 I do annual oil changes using Amsoil and for me, the extra $2 a month is worth it. Then again I don’t spend $10on a cup of coffee. Plus O do my own oil changes. So total cost for me to change my oil is no more than $55 on my Accord. Little more on my Tundra. Bottom line. Each his/ her own. It’s your money so do you.

It’s funny how many make it sound like it’s an exorbitant amount of money using Amsoil or Redline but probably the same people who spend $10 for a cup of coffee. 😂 I do annual oil changes using Amsoil and for me, the extra $2 a month is worth it. Then again I don’t spend $10on a cup of coffee. Bottom line. Each his/ her own. It’s your money so do you.
There is 0 (ZERO) evidence that any of those oils are any better.
Like I said numerous times, if they are that good, nothing stops them to get approvals for their oils. Approvals are very cheap. Amsoil has some, and usually do not have all of them combined like Castrol & Co have on their oils.
Approvals are designed so that you know you are getting oil that is fit for your engine.
Redline in particular is aimed at track/race applications. Problem is that people think that if it is oil made for track, it must be good for regular driving, which could not be farther from truth.

Again there are oils available off the shelf offering extended change intervals at a fraction of
if he cared about the off shelf brands he wouldnt be asking about the boutiques. the man wants to spend money on peace of mind.

i answered his question. i didnt shill him any major brand extended range. "yes, amsoil is worth the money for long OCI"

it's his wallet. why so worried about how he spends his cash?

There is 0 (ZERO) evidence that any of those oils are any better.
Like I said numerous times, if they are that good, nothing stops them to get approvals for their oils. Approvals are very cheap. Amsoil has some, and usually do not have all of them combined like Castrol & Co have on their oils.
Approvals are designed so that you know you are getting oil that is fit for your engine.
Redline in particular is aimed at track/race applications. Problem is that people think that if it is oil made for track, it must be good for regular driving, which could not be farther from
If it wasn’t Amsoil or Redline, then I would be definitely be concerned with the API approval. Amsoil Sig Series and Redline doesn’t have API approval not because it can’t meet or exceed the API recommendations but because of they way they formulate their oil. I believe it’s because of phosphorus levels would prevent it from getting API approval which is not a bad thing. I understand your point but we are not talking about a low quality brand.

if he cared about the off shelf brands he wouldnt be asking about the boutiques. the man wants to spend money on peace of mind.

i answered his question. i didnt shill him any major brand extended range. "yes, amsoil is worth the money for long OCI"

Because his post was asking if was worth it?

Love Redline, but won’t buy again. I don’t track my Ram. Will stick to what I have left In the “Stash”, that is RGT & VME, and...another Redline OCI.

My daily driving routine does not warrant the high price. And I don’t have time nor interest to track the truck.

If it wasn’t Amsoil or Redline, then I would be definitely be concerned with the API approval. Amsoil Sig Series and Redline doesn’t have API approval not because it can’t meet or exceed the API recommendations but because of they way they formulate their oil. I believe it’s because of phosphorus levels would prevent it from getting API approval which is not a bad thing. I understand your point but we are not talking about a low quality brand.
I am not talking API, I am talking much more stringent approvals, Euro approvals or Dexos 2.

Love Redline, but won’t buy again. I don’t track my Ram. Will stick to what I have left In the “Stash”, that is RGT & VME, and...another Redline OCI.

My daily driving routine does not warrant the high price. And I don’t have time nor interest to track the truck.
For daily driving any M1 or Castrol Edge, or Pennzoil Platinum is better. They are more suited for grocery runs etc. than Redline.
Motul engineers gave good interview about that. If daily driving, and occasional track, go regular Motul line up. If vehicle is design for racing, strictly track, than they say go with their Ester based 300V oils.
Redline might be somewhere in the middle, but I would always do UOA to see where is their oxidation.

Exactly

It's like everyone wants to control others spending habits and it's hilarious 😂

It’s funny how many make it sound like it’s an exorbitant amount of money using Amsoil or Redline but probably the same people who spend $10 for a cup of coffee. 😂 I do annual oil changes using Amsoil and for me, the extra $2 a month is worth it. Then again I don’t spend $10on a cup of coffee. Plus O do my own oil changes. So total cost for me to change my oil is no more than $55 on my Accord. Little more on my Tundra. Bottom line. Each his/ her own. It’s your money so do you.
But you can't just drive down the road and get those brands when you need them. Not that ordering is a big pain. But being able to pick up a gallon of milk and a jug of oil at the same....and any time I need it is simple and convenient.

Oil is oil. Way too much thinking, over thinking, over analysing and fretting about absolutely NOTHING.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back