I need brake pads and rotors for my F250

These pads lasted 25k and are done. I would not recommend. They did not seems to have better stopping power, were prone to squeal and had a short lifetime. I already ate a rotor
A year ago I serviced the front brakes, pads and rotors, on a newer F-150 4wd. @The Critic helped me get factory parts.
Quality and especially fittment were incredible. Recommended if you can stomach the price. Good luck.

These pads lasted 25k and are done. I would not recommend. They did not seems to have better stopping power, were prone to squeal and had a short lifetime. I already ate a rotor

ED pads are designed as an upgrade pad for better heat, and are only expected to run 20-40,000 miles.

The UK EFI Bristol factory of EBC Brakes has used new ECO friendly technology to develop a brake pad that has unusually high friction levels yet still has good manners for street use with brake effect being strong from cold when the brake is first applied. The 'race' pedigree of the material used also guarantees effective stopping up to temperatures exceeding 1400 F well above the maximum experienced in heavy braking, towing or downhill descents.

EBC will be releasing a longer lasting truck pad this spring made from sintered metal and these will outlast anything and deliver high brake effect. Not surprisingly these pads wont be inexpensive however.

As for the noise, this can be due to a couple of externalities, we have an article outlining this found at the below link, in summary;
  • Brake squeal always happens within the first 200-500 miles and usually goes away after that
  • It depends massively upon brake disc/rotor condition. A used rotor with a lip at the edge or an uneven surface can mean double the time for any noise to stop.
  • On automotive cast iron rotors with an uneven condition, the ideal fix is to have them machined on a Pro Cut lathe. A used rotor that is skimmed on the Pro Cut lathe is actually better than a new rotor provided the thickness minimums are respected. The cast rotor matrix settles after use.
  • There are different types of Squeal ranging from “Creep Graunch “ which is a small noise as you release the brake from a standstill, usually worse in reverse and is hard to rectify up to brake squeal referred to under point 1)
Remedies
  • Make sure your pads have noise shims, provided on all EBC pads.
  • Allow pads to bed in and if noise continues after 500 miles give the brake system a good workout with a few heavier brake applications on a safe road
  • Check caliper condition, calipers need to be removed and serviced every 5-7 years or exchanged. Sliders and pins in calipers corrode and cause pad drag that leads to brake overheat and squeal.
  • If noise continues after the above contact your pad supplier to discuss a different grade of pad, at EBC we have a no quibble replacement for customers who have issues with such things, having said that the incidence of noise on EBC pads after bed in is almost zero.

I would be much happier with Rockauto if they would negotiate great rates with the various shipping companies and then offer free shipping on orders over $100 or $200.

The idea of charging customers shipping from each warehouse if your order needs to come from multiple warehouses is ABSURD. It's their problem not everything I want is in the closest warehouse, not mine.

It's possible RA has negotiated great shipping rates but is just sticking it to it's customers.
I agree. That cost them a few brake jobs over the past two years along with quite a few other parts. I'm not going to allow their problem, as you mentioned not having everything in the same warehouse become my problem. I ended up doing better on Amazon than RA quite a few times. Their loss. Oh lets not forget the PITA with RA compared to Amazon when it comes to returning something defective.

RE: Brakes and rotors Element3 FTW.

Front and rear rotors arrived. Now waiting on rear pads. I will probably do the front this weekend.

View attachment 41923

View attachment 41924
Ahhhh raybestos advanced tech rotors. I had a set on my tundra a few years back. these can be hard to find, but it’s a slotted rotor from a trusted brand, nice find.

let us know if you have any noise or “grubbing” sensation from the slotted braking. I did, but some folks say they are silent. I’d consider them again.

Ok, It was hard to catch up to what's happened with both of your threads.

You first mentioned that "these new brakes squeal all the time".

Did you properly clean and grease the caliper pins, did you make sure the calipers slide well on the pins after cleaning/inspecting/greasing?

Did you clean the pad frame, wire brush where the stainless pad clip hardware goes and grease this so the pads fit and move freely?

There's a lot more to a quality brake job than slapping some new pads in and new rotors on. It's a lot of work, nasty work with wire brushes and takes time.

Did you use shims? Sounds like you have something sticking or not moving.

Unless OEM came with slots or holes(not likely on a truck, more a thing I see on a BMW M/Mercedes AMG/Lexus F/Audi S car or anything with Brembo brakes), it’s a bad idea to install slotted/drilled rotors - you lose swept braking area and the mass to dissipate heat.

Parts are just one thing with brakes. The moving parts have to move free and rust cleaned from hubs.

Back