I need a bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a bicycle to ride around my neighborhood with my wife. She rides quite a bit and it would be nice if we road together. I would like something comfortable. I am a 6'1" so i need something with a larger frame. I would like to keep it around 300 if possible. If 300 not possible, then how high would I have to spend Any ideas?

I saw this online. any thoughts on these?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/eclipse1_hybrid.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/rover1.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/eclipse-city-bikes.htm

Last edited:
I would not buy anything new for under $450. I really like my Trek, it's a older 7300 "hybrid".

I would not buy a bike that I did not test ride first!! My thoughts are after you have fully grown, buy the best [censored] bike you can afford... you can always upgrade to suit your fit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tcp71
http://www.jensonusa.com/Commuter-Urban-Bikes.

Spend a few extra bucks. You'll appreciate a bike that shifts and stops properly. Th

My wife has a 2012 Giant Cypress and it's a solid bike. She does a short route on our group rides. We have a few with Hybrid/Comfort bikes that go at their own pace, while we road bike crazies go at 15-20 MPH.

We all seem to make it to the coffee shop to compare notes, etc.

Anyway, she's had this bike for two seasons and it's been a solid performer.

I would echo the sentiment that you should physically ride the bike before you buy.

The idea of a used bike is a good one. My son-in-law bought an expensive bike, got tired of it and sold it for a fraction of what he paid. I'll bet that happens a lot.

We bought "his" and "her" bikes from Zayre (or was it Caldor?) before our son was born. Next year, that son will be 25 years old. We just did a 16 mile ride on our bikes after not riding since the kid was 2 year old. Those bikes were purchased for around $100 each.

Don't get caught up in the hype. Enjoy the ride. If you have a paved rail trail around your area, you don't need a fancy bike with magnesium frame or 50 speeds.

not at all. just know that Giant Bikes is the largest maker of bike frames in the world. they build for trek, specialized, and a hundred other brands in their taiwan factories. their buying power allows for the next better level of components than pretty much any of their competition.

All that being said, your local bike shop (not costco, walmart, etc). can actually fit your bike to your body as well as keep it tuned up and riding properly. a lot of bike shops offer unlimited drivetrain adjustment as thing wear in and that can be invaluable. i bet they have some inventory they want tomove before winter.

I still have my Fuji Thrill I purchased around the turn of the century for $169. I just keep fixing 'er up and she keeps on rolling. I lost track of the mileage. Somewhere north of 30k miles

Your LBS may also know of or have bikes from folks who want to trade up to something new.

I'm not saying you can't get a good bike on line. What I'm asking is how do you know it will fit, that it's comfortable or works well buying on-line.

Buying in person, either CL or your LBS gives you the change to touch the merchandise before you drop any cash on a bike.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
not at all. just know that Giant Bikes is the largest maker of bike frames in the world. they build for trek, specialized, and a hundred other brands in their taiwan factories. their buying power allows for the next better level of components than pretty much any of their competition.

All that being said, your local bike shop (not costco, walmart, etc). can actually fit your bike to your body as well as keep it tuned up and riding properly. a lot of bike shops offer unlimited drivetrain adjustment as thing wear in and that can be invaluable. i bet they have some inventory they want tomove before winter.

My next bike may well come from Bikes Direct, but, while I wouldn't call myself a bike snob (not if I were to shop from BD) I do kinda sorta know how it's supposed to work, and should be able to sort it out. Not sure if the OP can do likewise? Lots of reference material online (see Park Tools, Sheldon Brown, etc).

I have heard of some bike shops not working on BD bikes. Kinda like how if you buy tires online your local tire retailer may refuse to mount them for you. Be forewarned. BD bikes usually require some assembly, and like anything else, may come with goofs in the assembled parts they did for you--or outright come with problems of their own. Which your local bike store certainly won't fix for you for free.

CL can be a good source, although, last I looked you could find plenty of old bikes still going for $150 and up. For stuff with steel rims, non-indexed shifting, etc. Or stripped down to a single speed. Buyer beware.

My first road bike cost me $5 at a yard sale. Good enough to get the job done, but when I wore it out I had no reservations in plunking down near a grand on its replacement. I knew what I wanted, and have worn out a few tires and chains since then.

Speaking of fit, I still go someplace to get a rough fit when I change bikes. 45-60 minutes, $45-60 cost? I forget. But I managed to hurt some muscle in my leg from a fit which was "close" but not quite right. YMMV. When in shape I generally ride 20+ miles per ride; a fitting for more casual riding is of course not as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back