Retirement gift ideas needed

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I need some ideas for a retirement gift, I have a guy on my team that is retiring and I'd like to get him something in the $200-$300 range. He's retiring from a blue collar technician role, no real hobbies that I know of. Any suggestions for something that would be universally appreciated?

Consider a gift card that he could use for a nice night out. I always ask for them when someone wants to know what I would like for a gift

Fuzzy slippers. No, I agree with walterjay, a gift card is a very good choice. Don't waste money on a gift unless you know the person will truly enjoy it. For example, never give a watch enthusiast a watch. In addition to the gift card you may want to also give a more personal token like a custom mug. The ladies seem to like chocolate. That's what I'll get for the mustachioed HR lady* when I finally get rid, I mean when she finally retires. $500 worth of Belgian truffles for her to choke on. ;)

*I kid about her a lot. She's adorable in her own abrasive way. I have also no way of knowing who or what is going to replace her eventually. You never truly know what you've had until it's gone.

Last edited:
$200-300 cash. 👍

I gave a friend cash for a wedding once with a note reminding her of how we had the cash/ gift card discussion years ago and that I’d rather them just use it how they need/ want vs. me getting them a toaster that could very well sit in a closet unused.

I need some ideas for a retirement gift, I have a guy on my team that is retiring and I'd like to get him something in the $200-$300 range. He's retiring from a blue collar technician role, no real hobbies that I know of. Any suggestions for something that would be universally appreciated?
We give a choice between a $200 gift card for a store of their choice or a rocking chair from Cracker Barrell.

While I am sitting here typing, I am looking at one of the gifts that I got when I retired: A Howard Miller mantle clock.
Also, got a ton of restaurant gift cards/certificates.

If you don't know what he does with his spare time or what he likes, a Costco gift card seems like a good idea. I think you can even buy gas with it!
Decent of oyu to do something for him.

Back