I miss something so simple as heated windshield washer nozzles

So get some made for a vehicle with that feature and install, or generics.

It doesn't get terribly cold in winter here (seldom below 10F except near dawn) but it's rare for my nozzles to freeze up. Part of that may be that I often use washer fluid, so the fluid sitting in the line, and tank, has not had as much time for the alcohol to evaporate out. If your reservoir tank has a one way valve in the cap, you want to keep that clean too, or consider replacement, so it seals when the pump isn't running.

Which also struck me as odd since I doubt it is heated while the car is parked, often for an extended period of time.
You realize that heated fluid or nozzels don't eliminate the need for fluid rated for sub freezing temperatures, right?
My old 2008 DTS had heated windshield washer fluid. There was a small reservoir with a heating element inside, you would press a button, and a few secands later, HOT WATER!
To prevent lines from freezing, or the whole reservoir for that matter, you still need some alcohol in it.
The nozzel issue usually happens when the alcohol evaporates where it is exposed to air.

Generic blue stuff at Walmart for $2.xx works to -20F. I don't recall any "winter" washer fluids sold that freeze at 0F. Just saying.

I normally just buy the dark purple color windshield fluid it contains much higher methanol.

You can help it by adding some alcohol to reservoir, any kind of alcohol works, Vodka, Tequila, Rubbing etc.

It'll work, but did you know alcohol damages rubber?

Generic blue stuff at Walmart for $2.xx works to -20F. I don't recall any "winter" washer fluids sold that freeze at 0F. Just saying.

Check the price again, they're more like $4.99/gal now. Everything went up, and up.

That makes sense. My windshields always get pitted from sand or highway debris anyways. Scratching from the wipers is the least of the windshield problems for my vehicles! If I had a show car I would agree, the washers are not good. Honestly I would be tempted to leave the tank empty.
Grit under the wiper blades is annoying. Once daily I will lift the wiper blades and dust the whole windshield with a microfiber cloth. It's unbelievable how much grit accumulates under the blades even after a couple of hours. It's a bit of a pain to keep it up but it really does save the glass in the long run. It really ticks me off if I forget to do it and then run the wipers. I know, lots of other stuff to worry about in this day and age but still...

n
It'll work, but did you know alcohol damages rubber?

Check the price again, they're more like $4.99/gal now. Everything went up, and up.
Alcohol does not damage the rubber in the washer tubing, it is specifically designed with that in mind. I cannot predict what any random wiper blade tradeoffs were made to cut costs if it's cheap, but generally, a winter blade formulation has alcohol resistant design factored for too. "Rubber" for a wiper blade, or windshield gasket, that's not resistant to alcohol is going to be some very dodgy 3rd world (which in this context, china too) product. Recognize that alcohol in washer fluid has been used for, maybe 100 years or more?

They may make some of these with halogen bulbs that generate more heat. The led squirrel fart microamp of power consumption may even be significant enough at such low temperatures.

I think as an asian car owner it is your duty to not just match features, but make kraut cars outright jealous. It is within your ability as a bitog'er. Just wire to a switched fuse.

Attachments

• 51U0VZZ5AzL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    51U0VZZ5AzL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6
I doubt my Mazda has heated nozzles, but I never had any trouble with them freezing 🤔 This is an interesting feature!
Never paid too much attention to them, snow gets removed from the hood but I never really insist on the washer nozzles, and I use Costco -46°C fluid year round, never froze so far.

My Taos has heated mirrors and washer nozzles. Was included with the heated seats as part of the IQ convenience package.

I absolutely love my heated washer fluid system on my 08 CTS. This is the system that GM recalled for fires and just disabled it and gave you a $100 check. I refused and been taking my chances ever since!

Back