I love me a little econobox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky

Everything is relative, but most of these little runabouts are significantly stiffer bodied and quieter than just a few years ago. A new Kia Rio might be an example as it rides nicely with very low NVH for what it is versus the same car of pre-2012 vintage. A Soul and a Rio/Accent can be worlds apart on NVH especially if you factor in the year. You'd probably be better served taking in the individual vehicles versus looking at the entire class as being X.

I highly doubt that.
Especially with the abundance of direct injected and turbocharged "runabout" cars these days.
Just to keep up with traffic you'd have to regularly wring that "one point whatever" engine up to an ear-piercing 5k+ RPM's.

...and for that reason, I'm out
coffee2.gif

That's why I'm going to regret getting rid of the Festiva. Keeping up with traffic is biggest piece of bologna ( I have other terms I could say for that) I keep hearing. I have absolutely no trouble even driving normal. It's no different than my other vehicles.

Reminds me of a co-worker at my last job who had an Acura TSX for years (from new).
It was about an 04ish and the trans was finally starting to go out (as was common on that car).

While shopping for a replacement at the Acura dealer, the salesman informed her that there's no reason for something so big as the new TLX.
As the only ppl using it were herself and her hubby and their arm-poodle.
Instead, he'd happily sell them on the "all new" ILX. Offering better fuel economy, quiet ride (thanks to some new-fangled "active noise canceling" feature).

When she informed myself and another "car guy" at the office, we told her she was mistaken. The ILX was basically a dressed-up Civic. Nothing more, nothing less.

She decided to buy the car against our advise, and sure enough within a few days she lamented over the noise and lack of refinement (NVH) over her old TSX.

Within a year she was back at the Honda dealer. This time she was a little wiser and purchased a new Accord (despite the huge hit in depreciation).

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
That's why I'm going to regret getting rid of the Festiva. Keeping up with traffic is biggest piece of bologna ( I have other terms I could say for that) I keep hearing. I have absolutely no trouble even driving normal. It's no different than my other vehicles.

Some ppl. are more sensitive to NVH than others (myself included).
Cars that irritate me, don't bother my spouse.
On our last car (07 Focus) I regularly wore ear plugs to and from work, despite it being totally stock and with under 100k miles.

Love this thread! One of my favorite cars that i owned was an '88 Tercel Hatchback. Had 68hp, no a/c, leaked oil very badly; but it had a certain charm to it! Got 40+mpg regularly too.

Oh yeah. The kind where you have to wait to get on the freeway before turning on the AC because it makes the car too much of a slug and cannot get out of it's own way?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Got 2 letters for ya-xB. 1st Gen., '04-'06 manual. Has the headroom of a phone booth, back seat has room for a couple full grown moose (they're not little any more), slides around corners like a rally car (close to balanced front to back). Just needs a higher 5th gear.
Toyota premium + discontinued model premium + manual trans premium is going to send the price into the stratosphere even for beaters. Those are known oil burners, too right?

Originally Posted by panthermike
Love this thread! One of my favorite cars that i owned was an '88 Tercel Hatchback. Had 68hp, no a/c, leaked oil very badly; but it had a certain charm to it! Got 40+mpg regularly too.

In the spirit of this thread, you should get another one (though this time, I'm sure it'll be horribly rusty too).
I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more the second time around!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

In the spirit of this thread, you should get another one (though this time, I'm sure it'll be horribly rusty too).
thumbsup2.gif

That's a wonderful idea, I could use a beater car again. I am lucky to live in AZ though, no rust here!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

thumbsup2.gif

That's a wonderful idea, I could use a beater car again. I am lucky to live in AZ though, no rust here!

You'll wonder why you ever thought a Lexus or newer truck were better than a beat up old car.
Scotty Kilmer would wholeheartedly agree!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yeah that's right, I love me a little $#!+box, especially a hatchback. IDKY, I just do!
You know, the ones that(with too many options) can cost as much as the next segment up cars base price?

You know, those little tiny run-a-bouts/city cars that should never go on the hiwy on a windy day?
The cars that should get better MPG than their larger brothers but don't?(they're almost the same)?
I keep hunting around for the perfect used(3-4 yrs old) example with the low miles and the granny that took it to church on Sunday all for about $5K.

I've had them in the distant past and for some reason I want another.

No I don't know. It makes no sense to be to get a used econobox with lots of options that make for more frequent failures and more repair expense/hassle.

It makes no sense to me to settle for something you can be squashed like a bug in by the average truck or SUV on the roads if you're not even getting better gas mileage than a larger vehicle.

Little cars can be fun, and easier to navigate in small areas, and cheap to drive and maintain, but it seems like mostly you're only going to suffer the downsides, especially when you consider that with all else equal, the makes and models that depreciate that much in 3-4 years old do so for a reason, that they fall apart, don't last remotely as long as something like a Honda Civic that won't be found for about $5K at that age even if it's the base model instead of loaded.

If you can't even take it on the highway on a windy day, you can't be putting many miles on it, might as well settle for something older with more miles and either one known for longevity for that $5K, or the average econobox that's a decade old for closer to $2K5, then not worth enough for the extra expense of comprehensive insurance... Just One Opinion.

No, not a loaded econobox, just one with the standard equipment & AC. Maybe some power windows & locks as it's almost hard not to get'em this way. We all know that the loaded one cost toooooo much money especially when new. And this make the compelling argument for getting the next segment up in a vehicle.

The best ones Ive owned in the past:

1977 ? Ford Fiesta

1975 Fiat128 SL Berlinetta

Chevy (Suzuki Sprint) 3 door 3 cyl (before GM messed it up)

1985 Yugo GV (rebadged Fiat with ferrari designed engine)

1991 Subaru Justy ? ... now That's pushing the definition of Good.

Currenty the Ford Fiesta is the best stateside. Wife wouldn't let me buy one.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by Trav
I don't really like most cars anyway...

Amen

[off-topic]
Trav, can you give us the story again of those crazy motorcycle riding helmets?

Lots of escapades with helmets, which one? The Gorilla suit with a fireman's helmet riding up main st?

My 3 year old Spark averages 34 mpg in winter and 38 mpg in summer. And these are mostly 8 mile round trips. I love the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back