I know Ford makes the best trucks, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5 mile run!
shocked.gif

How fast were they going? It looked like they were doing highway speed when the crossed the finish line. Where they at WOT for 3.5 miles?

Something seems fishy.

It seems too that the Hemi was catching up after the initial 0-60 run too... It gave up some time off the start due to gearing I'm guessing then began to reel the ford in.
Also glowing exhaust manifolds are neat and all but they don't really inspire confidence in an engines long term reliability. After all there is oil trying to keep the turbo from becoming a paper weight not very far from all that rosey redness...
Truck engines used to have low HP/L so guys wouldn't/couldn't burn the engines up easily, now I guess Ford is banking on designing the oiling/cooling/fueling just right so they can get good HP and hopefully longevity.

Yeah, Ford could really influence the naysayers by upping their warranty to match GM and Dodge. I'm actually a fan AND a skeptic.

Ben, the 18 mpg ecoboost v6 is in a Taurus SHO driven by a 72 year old man. He drives pretty easy! But the car is super impressive to drive, really scoots. I can't see where they hid the nearly 4400 pounds though!

There's no way you can tow serious weight in a truck without some boost. I'll be watching these closely in big trucks.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
The guy with the Cummins Dodge's didn't bat an eye.

Yeah...there isn't much that keeps a cummins down.

Have the 01 cummins h/o 5.9L and live in Colorado, we deal with I-70 a lot, as well as Monarch pass at 11,300ft with our 30' 5th wheel....I wouldn't say it struggles, but we do take it slower going up Monarch cause the corners are a bit sharp and it's long and winding.

For the most part, my 10,000lb 5th wheel doesn't even hold this truck back.

Regarding the 4,000lbs someone else had towed behind their Ford, I tow that quite often with my 3.2L V6 rodeo even in the mountains....still keep up with traffic pretty good, except on the steep inclines.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Something seems fishy.

Altitude. Thin air makes N/A engines look like dogs.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yeah, Ford could really influence the naysayers by upping their warranty to match GM and Dodge. I'm actually a fan AND a skeptic.

Ben, the 18 mpg ecoboost v6 is in a Taurus SHO driven by a 72 year old man. He drives pretty easy! But the car is super impressive to drive, really scoots. I can't see where they hid the nearly 4400 pounds though!

I've seen old men and woman in Vics tear off from lights quicker than most 25 year olds.

Quote:
There's no way you can tow serious weight in a truck without some boost. I'll be watching these closely in big trucks.

I don't think superior fuel economy while towing is this powertrain's goal. In my view, the EcoBoost's goal is to get max (V6) fuel economy when empty while having the capability of a large V8 when needed.

I've been reading all the reviews of the new 3.5 ecoboost and while it certainly won't take the place of a diesel, it sounds pretty impressive. I think the official numbers are 365hp and 410 lbft? And, the torque is low in the rev range...I think 2500rpm. The top engine now in the F150 line is going to be the 6.2 V8 which has a slight torque advantage (420 lbft) but it makes that with more revs. The 6.2 and the Ecoboost will also share the same max tow rating...11,200lbs If the durablity is there I think they'll have a winner on their hands...and the consumer will get pretty impressive mpgs for a fullsize truck.

Yeah you folks need to spend some time at the RV boards where trucks acutally do something. The 6.0 diesel is bad juju. Lots of folks have had major problems and the 5.4 is anemic when in a 3/4 ton or better.

The new trucks look promising. Time will tell when they have been out in the real world for awhile.

GM trucks always had the better gas engines. Good to see Ford is coming out with some great engines and products now. That new F150 sure is sweet.

I have to make a correction...the numbers for the 3.5 ecoboost are: 365 hp @ 5000 rpm 420 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm

Compared to the 6.2 V8: 411 hp @ 5500 rpm 434 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

11,300 max towing cap for both...wow thats alot for half ton trucks. You need to look at a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel if you're looking to tow that much IMO.

Anyways, I had the numbers a little wrong, but still impressive..especially the 3.5 V6. Time will tell how they hold up and perform in the real world.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
GM trucks always had the better gas engines.

Disagree with always, the 302/351 were better than the 305/350 until the Vortec 350 showed up. The Vortec brought it's own set of issues though. IMO, the 4.6/5.4 were better than the 4.8/5.3 from 99-present.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i think ford makes the best trucks and the engine may not be as fast as the hemi but the ford engines run a long long time!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907dp_6_0l_ford_power_stroke_engine/index.html

http://www.ehow.com/way_5902854_5_4-ford-engine-noise-remedy.html

Some folks disagree with you. The info here would prevent me from buying a Ford. YMMV

GrtArtiste

That second article doesn't really say much. Simply that the 5.4L is incredibly dependable but requires regular maintenance. Isn't that sort of a no-brainer?

In fact the article states:

Quote:
the engine is one of the best Ford has ever engineered

How in the heck is that a problem??????

Now, for the first link, Ford didn't make the 7.3L, 6.0L or 6.4L diesels used in their trucks. They were manufactured by International. And many/most of the issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L (the 7.3L was bullet-proof) carried right over to their use in International-powered vehicles like school buses and straight-trucks.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Disagree with always, the 302/351 were better than the 305/350 until the Vortec 350 showed up. The Vortec brought it's own set of issues though. IMO, the 4.6/5.4 were better than the 4.8/5.3 from 99-present.

Ben maybe the 302 and 351 were about the same as the rest of the offerings of the time. But you need to get off the Blue Oval for a minute if you think the 4.6 and 5.4 in truck form are better than the 4.8 and 5.4 especially when towing. Have you towed in a 3/4 with a 5.4? I have, it is painful. You can't even get a 5.3 or 4.8 in a GM 3/4 ton. I know you are a Ford guy but be realistic. The GM stuff even gets better mileage. Just take a look a the RV boards or any campsite for that matter.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Ben maybe the 302 and 351 were better that I can agree with but you need to get off the Blue Oval for a minute if you think the 4.6 and 5.4 in truck form are better than the 4.8 and 5.4 especially when towing. Have you towed in a 3/4 with a 5.4? I have it, is painful. You can't even get a 5.3 or 4.8 in a GM 3/4 ton. I know you are a Ford guy but be realistic. The GM stuff even get better mileage. Just take a look a the RV boards or any campsite for that matter.

I haven't towed with a 5.3L, but I know my 5.4L will out-tow my uncle's 4.8L with ease. Though he gets much better gas mileage than I do.

I don't think any of the above engines are good for a 3/4 ton or larger. You need something like GM's 6.0L, Ford's 6.2L, Dodge's 5.7L...etc.

My buddy Jon on here (slammds15) has a 6.0L PSD (I know, and it has had its share of issues) that works very well, and has a tune on it. IIRC, "3" is 450/800, and we've towed something like 5 tonnes with it and you barely knew it was there. After experiencing that, towing anything with a gas engine.... Just felt "inadequate" LOL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Ben maybe the 302 and 351 were better that I can agree with but you need to get off the Blue Oval for a minute if you think the 4.6 and 5.4 in truck form are better than the 4.8 and 5.4 especially when towing. Have you towed in a 3/4 with a 5.4? I have it, is painful. You can't even get a 5.3 or 4.8 in a GM 3/4 ton. I know you are a Ford guy but be realistic. The GM stuff even get better mileage. Just take a look a the RV boards or any campsite for that matter.

I haven't towed with a 5.3L, but I know my 5.4L will out-tow my uncle's 4.8L with ease. Though he gets much better gas mileage than I do.

I don't think any of the above engines are good for a 3/4 ton or larger. You need something like GM's 6.0L, Ford's 6.2L, Dodge's 5.7L...etc.

Right but why not compare a 5.4 to a 5.3. Of course the 5.4 out tows the 4.8. It should. No suprise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back