How do the half ton v6 NA engines compare

I’m looking at buying a used pickup. Not to worried about gobs of power or turbos etc. I’m looking to buy a truck that’s roughly 6 to 10 years old. How does the ford 3.7 / 3.5 / 3.3 v6 compare to the Chevy 4.3 and the dodge 3.6. I have some experience with the 3.6 seems like oil cooler housings and followers are all kind of common. How do these engines compare in half ton trucks? Mostly concerned about reliability but if they can sort of get out of their own way that’s also a plus.

I had a rental Ram in 2017/2018 that I would never had known was a 3.6l if it didn’t sound like my minivan. It had gobs of power.

I think my 86 D150 had a 318ci that made 195hp. The 3.6L is near 300 hp or so And gets 20 mpg+.

The NA Fords are gutless from what I’ve been told. I’ve never driven one.

Toyota's V6 is awesome :)

The Titan isn't even available with a V6. It has always been V8-only. However, a V6 was available on the related NV vans.

The GM 4.3 Ecotec3 is a nice engine, 285 hp, 305 lb/ft torque. I had one in a 2016 Silverado xcab and it was fine for truck stuff. I towed a decent size pop-up and it did great. It does have the AFM deal that goes to 4 cylinders. I really liked the truck but bought a mid size travel trailer and just needed more truck.

I really liked the 3.7 in F150s it was exceptionally reliable and made adequate power at 300hp 275 ft-lbs of torque.

My brother in law has a 3.7 in a 15 passenger transit and pulled a 28 foot camper with it for a season before selling the camper. My wife had the fwd 3.7 variant(the one with the timing chain driven water pump 😔)in an awd Edge no issues at all, one of the best vehicles we’ve owned.

The GM 4.3 is just a 5.7L V8 with a couple of the center cylinders removed, so it's pretty bullet proof. I don't know about the EcoTec versions but the early versions had a funky injection system that was prone to leaks and injector clogging.

I’m looking at buying a used pickup. Not to worried about gobs of power or turbos etc. I’m looking to buy a truck that’s roughly 6 to 10 years old. How does the ford 3.7 / 3.5 / 3.3 v6 compare to the Chevy 4.3 and the dodge 3.6. I have some experience with the 3.6 seems like oil cooler housings and followers are all kind of common. How do these engines compare in half ton trucks? Mostly concerned about reliability but if they can sort of get out of their own way that’s also a plus.

My experiance comes from the 4.6L 2valve V8 and 5.4L 2 valve v8 fords. I now own a 2014 dodge ram 1500 with 3.6L 8spd unfortunatly with the 3.21 axle. Great for fuel not so good for heavy trailers. Overall it has some decent acceleration and if you have the radio up you cant tell your driving a v6. Really an awsome combo and excellent fuel economy.

Now, you wont want the 3.7L ford as very unfortunately 2009 ~ 2014 had really bad sheet metal and rockers. 3-5 years and they disappear. if you get into a 2015 aluminum body it will have the 3.5NA. I drove one, and with 3.73 gears, its also great. Not quite as strong as the dodge but less transmission hunting. Step up to the 3.3L GDI engine and you get a bit of a power increase and its power band is more useful. Only dead area is 2000 ~ 2500. Overall its great but the dodge still have the slight edge.

The ford 3.5 / 3.3 gets the win for long life and no internal issues, the 3.6L pentastar is more powerful but has roller rocker issues and oil cooler issues. Dorman has the all aluminum oil cooler to solve this. 4-5k oil changes and no idle will prolong the rockers. The trucks do not have quite as much failures and not sure why.

I need to retract my statement, if you are not located in the rust belt a 2014 or older 3.7L platform would be very awsome. I just cant buy one as most are rotted away or will if I were to buy one and operate in erie pa.

Im torn between a 2020 F150 with the 3.3 and a 2019 RAM with the 3.6. Ford has 72k miles RAM has 37k similar price and specs. Would you choose the lower mileage truck

Im torn between a 2020 F150 with the 3.3 and a 2019 RAM with the 3.6. Ford has 72k miles RAM has 37k similar price and specs. Would you choose the lower mileage truck
The Ram in my opinion is the nicer driving truck. The ZF8 is a great transmission and the Ram has nicer suspension. If I were going to daily drive a truck, the Ram would be my choice.

Are you in the rust belt? That is a consideration. For me the ram will bubble and rust. F150 will not.

I am in the same boat. I already own a ram, and an considering a 2018 f150 3.3 v6.

I have been getting under the trucks at my auction and all are state owned and operated. Most have 80k upwards to 200k. I am very amazed that the aluminum has zero white corrosion and zero holes even when the frame shows severe rust. I figure as an owner you can treat a frame and prevent rust but its very hard to prevent washoff on the sheet metal and seams. I am very sold on the f150 aluminum body for my severe rust belt area. I do like driving the dodge more. Way more comfy and love the coil springs for firewood.

I would never be looking at other trucks if my dodge had the 3.55 gears.

Ram all the way. The Pentastar engine doesn’t have direct injection. It’s been around for over a decade. It’s won Ward’s Best Engines awards in multiple years. I’ve personally had four of them and all were flawless. Excellent engines that are simple by today’s standards and don’t have the worries of the competitors’ DI engines.

I am very sold on the f150 aluminum body for my severe rust belt area.
IMO the only advantage to the aluminum body is they are lighter. From an insurance standpoint they are more expensive to repair, and while they don't rust aluminum still corrodes. Ask anyone with one of those aluminum deck Toro recycler mowers once the paint wears off.

The Sierra in my signature has been bulletproof. Got 105k miles on it now, it's only ever been in the shop for tires, brakes, and fluid changes. Tows my boats and the scout troop trailer just fine. I love it.

Back