Early to mid 00’s trucks

I’m looking to buy a half ton truck. My budget currently allows for early 2000 - 2008 or so trucks. Condition and mileage being equal which would you prefer? The ls based chevys? The Triton from ford (2v engines) or the hemi from dodge? How about the transmissions and axles from the same timeframe? Why would you or why wouldn’t you go for a certain truck? Haven’t owned any of these so looking for info opinions etc. thanks everyone.

Broad questions like this will yield a million answers. Here's mine:

Ford products, I would stick with 2V Tritons, 2000-2003+(?). Older vehicles = simpler the better, and the 4.6/5.4L were stupid simple in those years other being an OHC V8, and parts are dime a dozen. Transmissions weren't great, but reliable enough if maintained. 2004+ opens up a can of worms with potential plug issues, cam phasers, etc.

GM products, I would personally feel comfortable with any model in those years.

I don't have a lot of experience with Dodge/RAM trucks of that era, but have heard the quality is hit or miss. Again, I'd prefer a simple 5.2/5.9L over the 4.7L OHC motor, which had some issues with valve seats, exhaust manifolds cracking. Hemi was pretty solid in those early years, I've known more than a couple people that took theirs to 200K and beyond with no trouble.

On a half ton truck, I wouldn't worry about axles. I don't know of any in those years that were particularly troublesome. Some are better than others, but unless this is primarily a tow rig (or there's evidence it was used as such), it'd be low on my list of criteria for that age of truck.

Reactions: JTK
GMT800 would be my recommendation, Followed by 2V 4.6L/5.4L trucks.

GM 4L60E & Ford 4R70W transmissions both have their issues....3-4 clutch burn up, Broken reaction sun shell on the 4L60E....Forward Clutch & Direct Clutch burn up, Reverse band Servo snap ring blow out on the 4R70W are some of the most common failures.

Chrysler 4.7L, 3.7L, And the 5.7L can drop valve seats if overheated, Water pump failure is quite common on all of them. The LA 5.2L/5.9L engines are pretty good but are mated too 46RE 4 speeds that have their fair share of age/mileage related issues.

All these truck are old & anything can fail, I haven't seen a GMT800 truck with less than 200,000 in quite some time, Same with '97-'03 F150's.

GMT800 would be my recommendation, Followed by 2V 4.6L/5.4L trucks.

GM 4L60E & Ford 4R70W transmissions both have their issues....3-4 clutch burn up, Broken reaction sun shell on the 4L60E....Forward Clutch & Direct Clutch burn up, Reverse band Servo snap ring blow out on the 4R70W are some of the most common failures.

Chrysler 4.7L, 3.7L, And the 5.7L can drop valve seats if overheated, Water pump failure is quite common on all of them. The LA 5.2L/5.9L engines are pretty good but are mated too 46RE 4 speeds that have their fair share of age/mileage related issues.

All these truck are old & anything can fail, I haven't seen a GMT800 truck with less than 200,000 in quite some time, Same with '97-'03 F150's.
How miles is to many you think?

Our 2001 Tundra with 212K is perfect.
1669523997719.jpg

Our 2001 Tundra with 212K is perfect.
View attachment 128133
They tend to be when you live in southern CA :) Ask someone in Maine or northern Iowa or (insert rust belt state here) how they like their '01 Tundras. The lucky ones had theirs bought back in 2011 when Toyota did their recall/inspections. Maybe there's a few survivors out there with diligent maintenance, but I don't see very many these days.

OP didn't mention where he lives, but I'd say potential rust is a crucial factor he should consider.

How miles is to many you think?

My 2006 2500HD is approaching 450,000 miles, I'm about to have the drivers seat redone for the second time. I change the fluids often & grease the front end every other oil change.

My 2000 C1500 "Shop Truck" that I recently acquired has a little over 200,000 miles & was pretty much worn out except the rear differential......Engine, Transmission, Radiator, All coolant hoses, Ball Joints, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Brakes, Shocks, Rack & Pinion, & Driver seat redone. It was abused it's whole life with little to no maintenance & it showed.

Condition, Condition, Condition when buying a 20 year old vehicle!

They tend to be when you live in southern CA :) Ask someone in Maine or northern Iowa or (insert rust belt state here) how they like their '01 Tundras. The lucky ones had theirs bought back in 2011 when Toyota did their recall/inspections. Maybe there's a few survivors out there with diligent maintenance, but I don't see very many these days.

OP didn't mention where he lives, but I'd say potential rust is a crucial factor he should consider.
Missouri so rust is a factor for sure.

Honestly the gm is hard to beat if not for simplicity then it’s the abundance of parts and the amount of available tools and knowledge to work on them. Plus most shops are quite familiar with them.

Condition, condition, condition 1st...

On the Fords, a 2V triton is fine. You will probably find the 04 and 05 (at least) F150's with the 3V 5.4 are cheaper - due to cam phaser and timing chain seal issues, along with the infamous plugs that break on removal... Personally, I'd pass on the 3V 5.4 trucks.

Yep, I'd agree. Those Tundras are great trucks, but any you find in the rust belt area worth considering will be double and sometimes 3x the price of their American competitors. I'd go with a 5.3L GM truck from that era.

The 99-04 superduty trucks are my favorite modern truck. The 2 valve engines run a long time, and as long as you put a cooler on and don't blow the pump seal out, the 4R100 isn't a bad transmission. They don't make much power, but they don't make much power forever. You could get the 2 valve 4.6 all the way to the first 1/2 of the 12th gen F150 (2010) - if I were to get a 12thth or 11th gen F150 that's the engine I would get. Jellybean F150s rack up some serious miles until they rust out here. The 4R70 transmissions aren't terrible if mintained. On the panther cars, Ford put weaker clutches in and a thermostat on the cooler so they're always running 180-200F - not quite ideal for an older trans. They also have a variable locking converter clutch so if you're at lower speeds in overdrive, it's probably generating a lot more heat than it should. Don't tow in overdrive, keep good fluid (licensed MERCON V ONLY) and it'll last.

I've always liked the GMT800 trucks too. I don't buy into the hype that the transmissions are junk. That's internet amplification after people figured out how easy it is to make power out of the 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines. With any maintenance at all, the trans will last a good long time.

That was a particularly bad era for Chrysler.

First I'd stay clear of four wheel drive, unless you really need it. In my experience you can find a better deal on an older two wheel truck because a lot of people rule them out completely. I personally would look for a Chevy with the old 4.3 V6, simple and reliable if maintained and parts are readily available. If you need to tow ger a Chevy with 4.8 or 5.3.

Back