I just want a str8 answer on a THIN oil for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Sorry it had the consistency of non-frozen water even though it was -30c

Sheesh...
smirk2.gif

just bustin you a bit. Sometimes things don't read like the poster intended (including my responses here)

i would run 5w20 conventional, it is really a group 2+ oil, or even consider synthetic 5w20, except the price/benefit ratio is questionable, OR 50:50 mix of synthetic 5w30 with conventional 5w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Nayov
I want the most watery-thin oil for winter and I don't care about its properties at operating temps.

Run straight MMO then.

Go with Castrol Edge 0W-20 and replace a quart of your motor oil with a quart of MMO.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Sheesh...
smirk2.gif

just bustin you a bit. Sometimes things don't read like the poster intended (including my responses here)
He was using "like water" as a simile; I say valid as written. Ice is not water, Ice is Ice. Funny though anyway :) Funny, also, if you ask a Chem-E or Chemist what is the chemical descriptor for water, most all I've asked couldnt answer. Ive heard hydrogen hydroxide - but not being a chem-E, I couldnt say right or wrong. But, I dont think the -OH here makes it a hydroxyl group.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Learned anything yet?

Yes, I've learned that it is OK to use straight MMO or straight ATF in the crankcase. (Just waitnig for someone to suggest kerosene for the ultimate in thiness.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Sheesh...
smirk2.gif

He was using "like water" as a simile; I say valid as written. Ice is not water, Ice is Ice. Funny though anyway :) Funny, also, if you ask a Chem-E or Chemist what is the chemical descriptor for water, most all I've asked couldnt answer. Ive heard hydrogen hydroxide - but not being a chem-E, I couldnt say right or wrong. But, I dont think the -OH here makes it a hydroxyl group.

Grammatically it works, scientifically it doesn't.

Ice and steam are all states/forms of water. Along with liquid. They're all water, just solid, liquid or gas.

Water is Dihydrogen-monoxide.

Nayov - Winter starting in Maine consists of temperatures in a range of maybe -25F to 50F or so.
Like Pablo said, and the wonderful chart by bepperb shows, a 0-20 is technically thinnest in those regions.

But no reason to not have your cake and eat it! You can also go with a 0-30.

As someone who knows and loves winter. Try Amsoil 0w30 SSO or Redline 0w30 These were like water at -30C outside!

Last time I checked, that would mean it would have the consistency of concrete....

Edit: Ooops ..too many already hammered Stevie ..well, while I'm here
21.gif

grin2.gif

48.gif

happy2.gif

FWIW, I was always tought that "The 20-point Spread of a 10W-30 is most desirable, since it starts at the 10 number and only has 20 to go until it gets to the Thickness of 30. The 10W-40 has farther to go, and may sludge more. And 20W-50 is only for a racing car or a worn-out engine."

This is straight from a trusted Family mechanic, and all the cars always got 10W-40 and never seemed to have an issue. For decades. Since "10W-30 is too thin, the engine will eat itself up faster on that. 10W-30 is for Hondas and Japanese Engines."

Therefore, I believe that 10W-30 or any 20-point Spread Oil is the most stable, aside from Magic and Synthetics.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back