I just used PlastX and Power Ball on my headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
My headlights on my '96 Crown Vic have been turning yellow. This past summer, it seemed to discolor very quickly.

I had to replace the originals back in '01 b/c they were horrible.

These aftermarket headlights were holding up well until this summer.,

I bought the Power Ball and some Meguiars PlastX and used a Craftsman 16.8v drill (non-variable speed) today.

Good results for the first time around.

It was parlty cloudy today, so when the sky clears up in the broad daylight, I will see just how well they worked.

I will hit them again this weekend with my Corded Variable-Speed Craftsman to see if a 2nd application helps more.

So far, I would recommend these two products!

I bought some Mothers Aluminum Polish and I am going to see how well the Power Ball goes against my 11 year old diamond plate aluminum tool box on my Z-71!

Well I tried the Mothers Liquid Metal Aluminum Polish and the power ball on my Diamond Plate tool box.

Didnt do anything!

I was using my cordless drill though.

This weekend, I'll use the corded drill to see if the higher RPM's makes a differance.

It is a "ball" made of fibers (kind of like a micro fiber cloth I guess) attached to a "cup" on a drill post which you attach to a drill for cleaning and polishing.

Sorry about all the incorrect phrases as I don't know the technical terms.

I have used PlastX also and I love the stuff. My old daytona headlights were totally yellow when I bought the car. You could not see anything inside the lenses, they were just cloudy beyond belief. I used the PlastX stuff after hearing good stuff about it on a few dodge boards and sure enough after about 45 mins of hand buffing it with a disposable shop towel they looked great. Did that in June and I just had to touch up again since they were slightly cloudy again. Now they look brand new. Even did my neighbors Shadow, hers look nice to. I cant complain about the stuff for only like 6 bucks.

GMan asked "what is power ball"...

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/power_prod.html

It is made by Mother's.

When I looked at their web site, I noticed they have a "Power Plastic" product similar to the PlastX by Meguiars that I used.

I just used the PowerBall again on my girlfriend's Montero headlights and it worked excellent!

I have not had time to do the 2nd application on my Crown Vic headlights.

I've used a product called NOVUS. They have 3 levels (heavy scratches, light, and a polish). I've had absolutely superb results. The key was to wetsand the headlights. Yes, wetsand them. Use a 1200 grit or so and work up to a 3000 grit. Then the novus.

I've used many products and none of them ever worked for me. I truly believe the key is wet sanding. If you get any product that can remove scratches effectively... do the wet sanding first.

I just bought PlastX and applied it by hand to my 96 Camry and it cleared the lense better than my previous application of polishing compound.

PlastX picked up where Flitz (by hand) left off. I have the flitz version of the power ball and will use it on my headlights when I go back home for Christmas. Either way, I did 2 applications of flitz, followed by 2 long rubbings with PlastX and I was able to see on the road the other night... first time in a while. It was amazing!

Plast-X is fantastic. Cleaned up the yellowed headlights on my 99 Elantra. Wet-sanded using 1500-grit paper, then did the Plast-X with a buffing wheel on a cordless drill. Finally something that actually does what it says it does!

Gents, Brasso does the same job without the higher price. Been using it for years to clean head light lenses..

I used the PlastX polish the other day, with just a plain old buffing wheel on my rangers headlights. There was a noticeable difference when I was done. Headlights are clear, and now smooth
smile.gif

Quote:

I truly believe the key is wet sanding. If you get any product that can remove scratches effectively... do the wet sanding first.

Agree with that. Wet sanding saves a lot of unnecessary rubbing/buffing. Plast-X works great after wet sanding on headlights. Unbelievable how yellow the water turns due to oxidized plastic on older headlights.

My PLASTX results were only average. Do you work on one small area at a time?

Someone suggested that I buy 3M PLASTIC CLEANER and #M PLASTIC POLISH. Together theyre supposed to do a good job. I'll let you guys know after tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back