I have a stupid question about Alaska's HWY system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know the Army core of engineers built a HWY from the lower 48 up to some point in Alaska. What I do not know and have not been able to find out is if it is usuable year round. I may have the need to drive to Anchorage some time between now and Dec 29th. Even though it is almost 4000 mile drive I would like to have the option to drive if need be. I hate haveing to rent a car if I fly in. I have some test's I need to take for a job that includes physical,physch,polygraph,drug screen,background interview etc..... So with that many things that could disqualify a person it is not a sure thing. If I make it I will be their 6 months before I can return home to get my family. If I do not make it I will need to come home in about 8 day.
getdown.gif

I believe it is open year-round... how easy the drive will be is a different thing.

A few years ago I drove from here (Vancouver BC) to the Yukon in the spring. Took about 2.5 days, driving 8-10 hours a day. The large majority of it is paved, only maybe a hour or two's worth in northern BC is still unpaved. The weather was great when I went, but in the winter I imagine it could be hairy. Bring snow tires and chains.

Fly in. If you're selected/pass ..buy a beater for the 6month period.

Conditions are probably different now, but one fellow that I ran into worked on the pipeline and told me of all the "Pipeline or bust" type inbound cars that were abandoned due to so many not being willing to take the same risks when it was time to leave. Broken windshields were popular due to following heavy equipment to navigate the winter conditions ..or so he indicated.

Again, I imagine that some things have improved in 30+ years ..but I wouldn't even plan a trip to Baxter State Park in Maine during the winter. It too may have been modernized (I doubt too much) ..but the prospects of just 100+ miles of unpaved remote road where no one has too much of a reason to be there kinda has you reshuffling the odds calculations a bit.

JB, I can't add anything about driving Alaska's highways but if you plan on passing the psych test, don't let them see this thread.

The Alaska Hiway is drivable year round. In the winter some service stations run reduced hours or are closed. Many vehicles travel in the winter to include semi's that haul fruit and vegitables which might not make a barge trip. Plan ahead, carry winter survival gear, and enjoy the experience.

John,

Go to the bookstore and buy a soft-cover book called the MILEPOST. It has all services and businesses and anything else you need to travel the Alaska Highway. It used to cost around $20. It may be also on the internet these days, and it will answer your questions or give you an idea, on how to proceed.

Depending on the weather in Winter, it's a smoother ride and less tourist and camper traffic. The roads are very well maintained and the weather will determine your progress. I have friends who traveled the HWY, in Winter conditions, and they said it was fine. My friends were a middle-aged couple and drove a New Topaz, a FWD, FoMoCo compact sedan. They had NO problems and the roadway is all paved, except for construction and other improvements. If you are prepared for the cold and severe weather and use common sense, you'll be fine. They had mild conditions and they were milder than what we get in Michigan. People drive this road everyday. Enjoy the drive.
driving.gif
approved.gif

Quote:

The Alaska Hiway is drivable year round. In the winter some service stations run reduced hours or are closed.

This is a good point. Several gas stations are only open in the summer... even when I went in the spring, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that some gas stations I was counting on weren't open. Bring extra gas for sure.

So you guys think I leave my pack of Chow Chow dogs and my msled behind? I would not want to forgett anything important. I can see it now by the time I back all my stuff my Camry will look like the truck that the Clampets drove in Beverly Hill Billys'!!!!

Dude, Chows aren't sled dogs! You're thinking about Huskies and Malamutes.
But you won't need either, unless you just want some company.
Good luck with the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back