I get all the good ones......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exceptional work as always
thumbsup2.gif
I thoroughly enjoy the sagas you share, they are always quite interesting and you detailing your steps truly showcases your expertise.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Nice job!
I know that it was mentioned before, but you really should think about starting a YouTube channel.
Would have loved to watch that diagnosis.
thumbsup2.gif

This.

Amazing Job Cline. I'm sure 90% or more of techs wouldn't figure that out or it would cost the customer a ton more.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Fantastic job and I enjoy reading your posts! You have also filled the void left by Click and Clack!!!!

+1 Who needs Click and Clack when we have Cline and Trav here! You two should should have a show....

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
So, do you think the trigger wheel was removed at some point for some other repair and not properly torqued/loctited?

Most likely a manufacturing defect.

Any competent mechanic should be able to diagnose this, but there are too many code-reading parts-changers out there masquerading as competent mechanics.

Good job, Cline.

The ECM could readily monitor the VPWR bus and throw a code if voltage is not proper. Guess they thought this sort of failure would be very uncommon.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Exceptional work as always
thumbsup2.gif
I thoroughly enjoy the sagas you share, they are always quite interesting and you detailing your steps truly showcases your expertise.

Perfectly stated ^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
So, do you think the trigger wheel was removed at some point for some other repair and not properly torqued/loctited?

There are 3 spot welds that hold the reluctor to the Phaser....They failed.

Waiting for parts, Will update the thread when I dive back into it.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Good work! Do all them missing pieces end up in the pan? Hopefully

The reluctor didn't fall because the VVT solenoid mounts right in front of the Phaser., Most of the pieces were stuck the the Phaser housing because it's heavily magnetized.

Finished up the repair this mourning, Thought I'd share.....

Pretty easy repair using a "Wedge" tool.
*Bring up the cam gear timing marks, which is roughly 10 O'clock for the Intake cam & 1 O'clock for the Exhaust cam....Puts both cams in a neutral position where no spring pressure wants to rotate them.

*Clean the area of the timing marks with some brake clean, Mark both timing marks on the corresponding chain links with a paint pen or white out....I prefer a paint pen

*As a safety measure & I'm working by myself....I installed a breaker bar on the end of the Exhaust cam that will hit the core support & stop the cam if things went sideways. None of my Snap-on 3/8" extensions would fit the D-slot in the cam! Had to use a 40 year old, well worn Craftsman extension
smile.gif

*Loosen the caps on the Intake cam, And remove the front one that also serves as a Thrust. I clamped a pair of Vise Grips on the cam so I could slide it from from my vantage point.

*Install the "Wedge" firmly & squarely down between the chain.....This prevents the tensioner from ratcheting out, Gives a little slack in the chain, And if things go sideways....Prevents the chain from coming off the crank gear.

*Remove the 3 Torx bolts attaching the gear to the cam, Slide the cam back while working the gear off.

*Once the gear is loose, Hold the chain with one hand & work the gear out with the other.

*Have the new Gear/Phaser within arms reach so you don't have to let go of the loose chain.

*Work the chain onto the new gear while aligning the timing mark on the gear with the one on the chain.

*Slide the cam forward & work it 'til the keyway aligns & the gear will seat, It's very noticeable!

*Install one of the gear bolts & snug it up....Take a break
smile.gif

*Put everything back together & torque all fasteners to factory specs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't see a big market for this particular VVT Phaser, So I ordered one form my local Autozone.....Sure enough, It's a OE part with the FoMoCo markings ground off!

Aisin does the same trick on their water pumps for Toyota - and I've seen OEM replacement glass from Pilkington that has the OE's name polished off or screened over with the Pilk logo.

That job looks almost like replacing the timing chain and tensioner on a VW 2.0L TSI CCTA engine in some aspect - the cam phaser looks identical as well.

poor design, can you imaging how strange the car would have been running before failure. would be easy enough to engineer it to bolt on. Probably saved Ford 5 cents a unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back