I Finally Pulled the Trigger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
In the end, you need to drive what makes you smile- life is too short to drive boring cars…

A beauty, and if YOU like it then it's great! Glad the journey was worth it...

+1

I am just very surprised to hear that they brought so dismally few manuals into the country, especially for THIS model, which was made for one.
frown.gif

To me at least, THAT is the sweetest car in the whole current Bimmer line up, but I would have jumped through hoops to get a manual in it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I am just very surprised to hear that they brought so dismally few manuals into the country, especially for THIS model, which was made for one.
frown.gif

The dealers order what sells I suppose. That said, the 8HP automatic is really impressive, and it's even sturdy enough that it's the only transmission offered in the M235i Racing . Yes, I would have preferred a stick, but at least I'm not sacrificing performance by omitting a third pedal.

I do like your white M235i, the size is about perfect for 2 occupants.

The 2 kids are grown up and rarely go out with us anymore, so only my wife and I go out 99+% of all trips. The midsize sedan like Accord is too big for us now, BMW 2-series or Audi A3 sizes are better in term of handling/maneuvers in crowed surface street and highway in So Cal.

The ZF 8-speed in this car is excellent. Lightning-fast shifts as needed along with seamlessly shifting around town. It's almost as fast to shift as a DCT. From what I've heard it has a manual mode, but the programming from what I've seen of it is uncanny in how it selects gears. While it's not a manual, it's darned good.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In the end, you need to drive what makes you smile- life is too short to drive boring cars…

A beauty, and if YOU like it then it's great! Glad the journey was worth it...

Yep. And my version of the original quote is: life is too short to drive what you don't like. If you like a BMW, great. If you like a Camry, great. Life's too short to be in something that you don't enjoy, whatever that may be.

Cheers, OP.

Congrats, MCompact! Great little car.

When that mid-life crisis finally hits, a 2-series cabrio might be in the works for us, but we would need to move a bit south to enjoy it more.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Congrats, MCompact! Great little car.

When that mid-life crisis finally hits, a 2-series cabrio might be in the works for us, but we would need to move a bit south to enjoy it more.

In the continuous 48-states there is no better area to have a convertible than So Cal.

Down here you can drive with top down up to 350-355 days a year(we have less than 10 rainy days a year, on average), it is a little cool(below 50F) in winter night so about 280-320 nights a year is possible.

As of today we have low 80F, nice weather for a top down cruising.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
In the continuous 48-states there is no better area to have a convertible than So Cal.

Right, except we wouldn't be able to maintain our current standard of living if we were to move to So Cal.
smile.gif

Quote:
Down here you can drive with top down up to 350-355 days a year(we have less than 10 rainy days a year, on average), it is a little cool(below 50F) in winter night so about 280-320 nights a year is possible.

Heh... out here I've seen some people drive with their tops down even if it's in the 30s.
smile.gif
I suppose the definition of 'cool' varies from north to south.
smile.gif

With two cats to slog to the vet now and then, I'd find this car to be a little small for me as a daily driver. But I like it anyway. How many hp?

Stock 300, with a few mods 400 is pretty easy. A few of my buddies have this motor running around with some Dinan mods in the 400-450 range.

It pulls like a proper I6. Over the summer my buddy and I were coming back from a boat delivery. He was doing about 90 in his 335 with about 410ish at the rear wheels, just lean on it a bit and 130 comes up nice and fast.

Proper car.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Stock 300, with a few mods 400 is pretty easy. A few of my buddies have this motor running around with some Dinan mods in the 400-450 range.

It pulls like a proper I6. Over the summer my buddy and I were coming back from a boat delivery. He was doing about 90 in his 335 with about 410ish at the rear wheels, just lean on it a bit and 130 comes up nice and fast.

Proper car.

It actually has 320 hp @ 6000 rpm and 330 lb-ft @ 1300 rpm because the M Performance Power Kit(MPPK) is installed at the factory. But you are spot on regarding the way it pulls; turbo lag is essentially nonexistent. I would definitely install an LSD before I added any more power.

It actually has 320 hp @ 6000 rpm and 330 lb-ft @ 1300 rpm because the M Performance Power Kit(MPPK) is installed at the factory. But you are spot on regarding the way it pulls; turbo lag is essentially nonexistent. I would definitely install an LSD before I added any more power.

Good plan. I know you can drive but so many dorks add power long before they have even mastered what they already have!

Sounds like fun...

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Congrats on the new ride. It looks sharp, but more pictures would be nice, show us the interior as well.
grin.gif

I'm at the stage in my life where I'm excited to have a minivan because of its space. But once the kids grow up I hope to get something more driver oriented.

Thanks! I'll upload more pictures when the weather improves. And you are right about the minivan- you can't beat them from a practicality standpoint.

I'm at the stage in my life where I'm excited to have a minivan because of its space. But once the kids grow up I hope to get something more driver oriented.

The way things are going, I will be getting a minivan as well before I get that 2-series convert.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The way things are going, I will be getting a minivan as well before I get that 2-series convert.
smile.gif

do we need to send you congrats??? (or is too early?)

Well, we have one child and not planning on any more, but when family visits, it'd be nice to have more space. Alas, they visit so rarely, that maybe it really makes no sense to get a minivan just for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back