My 2014 BMW M235i at 8 years and 70,000 miles

I purchased my M235i as a CPO car six years ago. It had just come off a two year lease and only had 15,000 miles on it. Over the last 55,000 miles I've been quite pleased with the reliability. The auxiliary fan packed it in at 21,000 miles, which I think was a fluke. The oil filter housing gasket stated to seep at 55,000 miles and was replaced under the CPO warranty. I had the ATF changed at 60,000 miles, which also addressed a seeping pan gasket. Finally, the NVLD emissions pump was replaced under an extended warranty that BMW issued pursuant to a TSB. The Condition Based Service system is estimating I'll need new front and rear brakes in @40,000 miles. Fuel economy ranges from 15 mpg at HPDEs to 32 mpg cruising at 80 mph; the overall average is around 26 or 27 mpg- not bad for a car that can click off a 0-60 sprint in the low four second range.
M235i Exterior.jpg
M235i Interior.jpg
M235i Putnam.jpg

It also cleans up pretty well. I plan to hold on to it until I can pick up an M2 Comp at a reasonable price; it's been 27 years since I owned a true ///M car, and I'm not getting any younger.

Last edited:
Nice car. Not exactly good reliability… and I own a 135icM myself.

That many things going bad in that short a time is unfortunate.

My 135i is much lower mileage, and all four abs wheel sensors have failed. A $22 part and an half hour each time, but it’s incredible. Ive been through two third taillights. I need another. The design is faulty and they haven’t fixed it 100%. And my issues are small beans compared to what you’ve had done.

Not pissing on your car… I love mine and wouldnt trade it for another car. But it’s unfortunate that they’ve needed so many things…. And simple, stupid things…. Kind of has made me down on euro cars… and shifting back to my diesels…

Last edited:

My 135i is much lower mileage, and all four abs wheel sensors have failed. A $22 part and an half hour each time, but it’s incredible. Ive been through two third taillights. I need another. The design is faulty and they haven’t fixed it 100%. And my issues are small beans compared to what you’ve had done.

Not pissing on your car… I love mine and wouldnt trade it for another car. But it’s unfortunate that they’ve needed so many things…. And simple, stupid things…. Kind of has made me down on euro cars… and shifting back to my diesels…
This is why Im buying another cx5 instead of an m40i. Id like an m40i, but dude....the maintenance and repairs :(

The thing is, with the exception of the auxiliary fan, everything was taken care of at a scheduled service. I was only out of pocket $50 for the OFHG as it was fixed under the CPO warranty, and I was getting a new transmission pan and gasket with the ATF change regardless.

The thing is, with the exception of the auxiliary fan, everything was taken care of at a scheduled service. I was only out of pocket $50 for the OFHG as it was fixed under the CPO warranty, and I was getting a new transmission pan and gasket with the ATF change regardless.
Yeah, I guess my angle is, regardless of who or when it was taken care of, those things shouldn’t have needed repair. ATF change is prudent, but gasket shouldn’t seep. My abs sensors shouldn’t all fail within 1000 miles of each other, at
While CPO is the golden ticket it seems to keeping after this stuff cost effectively, my point is none of it should happen at all to begin with.

This is why Im buying another cx5 instead of an m40i. Id like an m40i, but dude....the maintenance and repairs :(
My Mazdaspeed 3 needed a turbo, a front strut, both rear shocks, an EGR valve, and a new VVT actuator- all before 100,000 miles. I later ended up replacing the struts/shocks with Koni FSDs, as well as front anti-roll bar bushings and rear lateral links.
I loved the car, but early on it was hardly a paragon of reliability.
My wife still floats the idea of flipping both the X1 and the M235i for a X3 M40i, but it's a tick slower than the M235i and doesn't handle as well. I'd take an X3 M Comp, but that's too pricey. ///M or nothing, methinks.

Yeah, I guess my angle is, regardless of who or when it was taken care of, those things shouldn’t have needed repair. ATF change is prudent, but gasket shouldn’t seep. My abs sensors shouldn’t all fail within 1000 miles of each other, at
While CPO is the golden ticket it seems to keeping after this stuff cost effectively, my point is none of it should happen at all to begin with.
It just doesn’t really bother me. I want a small and reasonably light four place coupe that I can describe as fast with a straight face. There aren’t a lot of cars out there that fit that mission brief. Then there’s my wife’s E84 X1; at 60,000 miles it has needed nothing but scheduled maintenance. My Club Sport didn’t need a gasket replaced for 26 years.

Last edited:
It just doesn’t really bother me. I want a small and reasonably light four place coupe that I can describe as fast with a straight face. There aren’t a lot of cars out there that fit that mission brief. Then there’s my wife’s E84 X1; at 60,000 miles it has needed nothing but scheduled maintenance. My Club Sport didn’t need a gasket replaced for 26 years.
Agree there really isn’t much that fits the bill. It’s why I love my 135i

My Mazdaspeed 3 needed a turbo, a front strut, both rear shocks, an EGR valve, and a new VVT actuator- all before 100,000 miles. I later ended up replacing the struts/shocks with Koni FSDs, as well as front anti-roll bar bushings and rear lateral links.
My wife still floats the idea of flipping both the X1 and the M235i for a X3 M40i, but it's a tick slower than the M235i and doesn't handle as well. I'd take an X3 M Comp, but that's too pricey. ///M or nothing, methinks.
Ford era Mazdas dont do it for me, either.

Agreed. I bought our 2013 GS350 F Sport under CPO. I wasn't worried about the tried and true Lexus drivetrain, but as soon as that dash had an issue I would be crying. No complaints.
Hehe. When I bought our regular gs350 at around 70k miles, I bought carmax’s warranty, and it paid for itself, as the previous owner didn’t take care of it, and Carmax didn’t catch it. and in fairness, Carmax treated us very well, no questions asked:
- new battery
- new drivers seatbelt
- new sunroof motor
- front passenger lock motor
- front drivers lock motor
- they shipped it to Lexus for fuel pump recall

ive had a wary eye on the entertainment system with the mechanical hard drive, but every issue I had with it ended up being a problem with a failing iPhone.

i bought that Lexus after I couldn’t get comfortable in a 328, which I really liked, a lot. Bmw had a solid edge in just being such a well-balanced drivers car in ways that were almost magical. Lexus had advantages in thickness of plastics and bank-vault solidness, but certainly didn’t come to me as a failure-proof brand. Now at 80k, I can feel alignment shifting under hard acceleration, so all those complaint bushings in the rear are starting to show some age at…. 8 years old…. So I guess that’s ok. never Having owned a Lexus before, I have been impressed with their aggressive stance on recalls or extended warranties. They send stuff to my house, basically “free fix coupons” for items they see failing. Last week I received one for hvac servos. “Keep this in your manual. If they fail, present this notice and they will be fixed at no charge.” For an 8 year old car? ford wouldn’t fix my transmission even while still under warranty….

Hehe. When I bought our regular gs350 at around 70k miles, I bought carmax’s warranty, and it paid for itself, as the previous owner didn’t take care of it, and Carmax didn’t catch it. and in fairness, Carmax treated us very well, no questions asked:
- new battery
- new drivers seatbelt
- new sunroof motor
- front passenger lock motor
- front drivers lock motor
- they shipped it to Lexus for fuel pump recall

ive had a wary eye on the entertainment system with the mechanical hard drive, but every issue I had with it ended up being a problem with a failing iPhone.

i bought that Lexus after I couldn’t get comfortable in a 328, which I really liked, a lot. Bmw had a solid edge in just being such a well-balanced drivers car in ways that were almost magical. Lexus had advantages in thickness of plastics and bank-vault solidness, but certainly didn’t come to me as a failure-proof brand. Now at 80k, I can feel alignment shifting under hard acceleration, so all those complaint bushings in the rear are starting to show some age at…. 8 years old…. So I guess that’s ok. never Having owned a Lexus before, I have been impressed with their aggressive stance on recalls or extended warranties. They send stuff to my house, basically “free fix coupons” for items they see failing. Last week I received one for hvac servos. “Keep this in your manual. If they fail, present this notice and they will be fixed at no charge.” For an 8 year old car? ford wouldn’t fix my transmission even while still under warranty….
Lexus is the best manufacturer to deal with; they stand by their product. They want, and work for, repeat customers and word of mouth.
I bought our car about 4 years ago; it was the dealership owner's personal car. CPO did the 60K service which is $1300 at least.
New Pilot 4S, which I just replaced. Otherwise, it has been perfect, except the TPMS light is on. 86K on the clock.
These are great cars.
1643770066882.jpg

Well, the engine issues can be chalked up to it really being a Ford engine, in my opinion. The shocks and strut I believe. I had a 2009 Mazda5 and I think 2 shocks were dead by 25,000 miles. Replaced with FSD and they were great.

I purchased my M235i as a CPO car six years ago. It had just come off a two year lease and only had 15,000 miles on it. Over the last 55,000 miles I've been quite pleased with the reliability. The auxiliary fan packed it in at 21,000 miles, which I think was a fluke. The oil filter housing gasket stated to seep at 55,000 miles and was replaced under the CPO warranty. I had the ATF changed at 60,000 miles, which also addressed a seeping pan gasket. Finally, the NVLD emissions pump was replaced under an extended warranty that BMW issued pursuant to a TSB. The Condition Based Service system is estimating I'll need new front and rear brakes in @40,000 miles. Fuel economy ranges from 15 mpg at HPDEs to 32 mpg cruising at 80 mph; the overall average is around 26 or 27 mpg- not bad for a car that can click off a 0-60 sprint in the low four second range. View attachment 87110View attachment 87111View attachment 87112
It also cleans up pretty well. I plan to hold on to it until I can pick up an M2 Comp at a reasonable price; it's been 27 years since I owned a true ///M car, and I'm not getting any younger.
Not bad. The AUX fan and seeping ATF pan are rare for sure. OFHG at 55k miles is par for the course. They all need replacing around that mileage.

Are you think about the new M2 Comp or the derivative of your current model? The new one is going to be the bees-knees.

Back